PDA

View Full Version : Potentially stupid question: Campy conversion for shimano hub?

FastforaSlowGuy
08-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I have a set of CX wheels built up with some old Shimano 600 (early 8,9,10 sp Ultegra) hubs. Does anyone know if they can be converted to Campy freehub body? I have been looking but not found an aftermarket solution (other than the conversion cassettes, which get mixed reviews).

austex
08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
So, definitely YES. Start by gradually loosening all the spokes. When fully de-tensioned, proceed to remove all the nipples and then each of the spokes in turn from the hub. Visit your LBS or the classifieds and purchase a Campy-compatible rear hub, assuring the same number of spoke holes. The rest is very simply the reverse of disassembly.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
This is precisely the response I deserve.

So, definitely YES. Start by gradually loosening all the spokes. When fully de-tensioned, proceed to remove all the nipples and then each of the spokes in turn from the hub. Visit your LBS or the classifieds and purchase a Campy-compatible rear hub, assuring the same number of spoke holes. The rest is very simply the reverse of disassembly.

jbl
08-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Conversion cassettes or the Jtek shiftmate are what you need.

ColonelJLloyd
08-09-2013, 09:04 AM
conversion cassettes or the jtek shiftmate are what you need.

+1

oldpotatoe
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I have a set of CX wheels built up with some old Shimano 600 (early 8,9,10 sp Ultegra) hubs. Does anyone know if they can be converted to Campy freehub body? I have been looking but not found an aftermarket solution (other than the conversion cassettes, which get mixed reviews).

Cannot. There are conversion cogsets available for shimano compatible hubs. Wheels manufacturing ones work very well, IMHO. Nobody has made a aftermarket FH body for these hubs that are Campag compatible.

For austex-brilliant!! well said.

tmf
08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
I've used both the Wheels Manufacturing and American Classic conversion cassettes with very good success. They provide Campy 10 speed gear spacing which fit on a Shimano-splined freehub.

Depending on exactly what you mean by "old Shimano 600", you should probably verify that your freehub is hyperglide and not uniglide. If it's hyperglide and currently works with Shimano 8,9,10 speeds then you should be fine.

ColonelJLloyd
08-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Sounds like the OP has a FH-6402 that works with both Uniglide and Hyperglide.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
It's hyperglide. I ran these hubs with different rims the past gazillion years, and this year decided to plop them onto my cross bike, which is currently running Srampagnolo. I would go all-in on making it Campy if I could make the conversion work. Sounds like the conversion cassette is the answer.

I've used both the Wheels Manufacturing and American Classic conversion cassettes with very good success. They provide Campy 10 speed gear spacing which fit on a Shimano-splined freehub.

Depending on exactly what you mean by "old Shimano 600", you should probably verify that your freehub is hyperglide and not uniglide. If it's hyperglide and currently works with Shimano 8,9,10 speeds then you should be fine.

tmf
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
One issue you might have on the conversion cassette for a cross bike is the gearing. All of my conversion cassettes have 23T as the lowest gear. If you're looking for a used one, it might be tough to find the gearing you need for cross (I think I've seen used with 25T but not larger).

Here is some info from Wheels Mfg. They make both 10 and 11 speed cassettes with an option of 23T, 25T or 27T. Buying them new is spendy.

Wheels Mfg cassettes (http://wheelsmfg.com/products/rear-drivetrain/cassette-conversions.html)

fogrider
08-11-2013, 12:37 AM
One issue you might have on the conversion cassette for a cross bike is the gearing. All of my conversion cassettes have 23T as the lowest gear. If you're looking for a used one, it might be tough to find the gearing you need for cross (I think I've seen used with 25T but not larger).

Here is some info from Wheels Mfg. They make both 10 and 11 speed cassettes with an option of 23T, 25T or 27T. Buying them new is spendy.

Wheels Mfg cassettes (http://wheelsmfg.com/products/rear-drivetrain/cassette-conversions.html)

this why the jtek shiftmate is a good option...sram and shimano offer lower gearing!

Louis
08-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Related comment that won't help the OP:

It is possible to go in the other direction. (at least for 9-spd)

Campy makes free-hub bodies that work with the standard Campy cassette hub, but have a Shimano spline. I purchased one a while back but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

whatwolf
08-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Another option that I don't think has been mentioned:

(If you are looking to convert because you want to use Campy shifters,) Campagnolo 10 speed shifters will match up perfectly to a Shimano 8-sp cassette with no modifications. But you will be limited to 8 speeds.

tmf
08-11-2013, 07:18 AM
That's exactly what I'm doing on the cross bike I'm building. I am using a Shimano rear mech - I'm not sure if it works with a Campy rear.

Another option that I don't think has been mentioned:

(If you are looking to convert because you want to use Campy shifters,) Campagnolo 10 speed shifters will match up perfectly to a Shimano 8-sp cassette with no modifications. But you will be limited to 8 speeds.

whatwolf
08-11-2013, 07:21 AM
That's exactly what I'm doing on the cross bike I'm building. I am using a Shimano rear mech - I'm not sure if it works with a Campy rear.

Right, you'd need an 8-sp shimano mech. But if you get the new shape 10-sp Ergos it's a pretty sweet setup.

stien
08-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Shimergo! I've read you can do 10s now.

lhuerta
08-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Mavic conversion cassettes worked great and were available with both 9 and 10 speed spacers and a wide range of cogs. Lou

Nags&Ducs
08-11-2013, 10:49 AM
On my CX bike, I use a SRAM 1070 cassette on my shimano-free hub Peloton Disc wheels with my Chorus 10 set up and have no problems. Runs great actually.

Sorry for the sligth thread jack OP, but in a similar search, I have been looking for a campy free hub body for my Mavic Heliums. I'm considering running a SRAM cassette if I can't find a campy free hub.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2013, 01:25 PM
On my CX bike, I use a SRAM 1070 cassette on my shimano-free hub Peloton Disc wheels with my Chorus 10 set up and have no problems. Runs great actually.

Sorry for the sligth thread jack OP, but in a similar search, I have been looking for a campy free hub body for my Mavic Heliums. I'm considering running a SRAM cassette if I can't find a campy free hub.

The only FH body you'll find for Heliums and Campagnolo is for 8s. Never was a Campagnolo 9/10 FH body for these.

Nags&Ducs
08-11-2013, 03:35 PM
The only FH body you'll find for Heliums and Campagnolo is for 8s. Never was a Campagnolo 9/10 FH body for these.

Darn the bad luck! But I knew you would know.

Will the SRAM 10 spd cassette fit on the OEM shimano 8/9 spd hub? I've always heard that it is the same spacing, so an 8 spd free hub should fit a 10 spd cassette.

Thanks Peter!

oldpotatoe
08-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Darn the bad luck! But I knew you would know.

Will the SRAM 10 spd cassette fit on the OEM shimano 8/9 spd hub? I've always heard that it is the same spacing, so an 8 spd free hub should fit a 10 spd cassette.

Thanks Peter!

Yep..shimano 8s compatible FH bodies(as long as they are hyperglide) are 8s/9s/10s compatible. But I'd get a shimano cogset unless the sram ratio is what you are looking for.

chismog
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
SRAMpagnolo.

Keep the rear hub as-is. Get a 10s rear Shimano cogset. Get a SRAM 10s rear derailleur. Use your 10s Campy shifters.

It's a little finicky to set up, but I've found it is about a 95% solution. Works almost as well as native Campy 10s.

More info/details from Lennard Zinn if you're interested....
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404

FastforaSlowGuy
08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
This is what I have now. It works about 85-90%, which is fine for my purposes. I'm looking at making a switch on the wheels for two reasons: (1) I have a matchy-matchy OCD thing about my bikes, and this doesn't match, and (2) I feel like I'm cheating myself out of the Campy experience because, well, I am.

SRAMpagnolo.

Keep the rear hub as-is. Get a 10s rear Shimano cogset. Get a SRAM 10s rear derailleur. Use your 10s Campy shifters.

It's a little finicky to set up, but I've found it is about a 95% solution. Works almost as well as native Campy 10s.

More info/details from Lennard Zinn if you're interested....
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404