PDA

View Full Version : Here's what it looks like climbing up Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay overlook while wearing

plattyjo
08-08-2013, 11:16 PM
...Google Glass.

Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl9nwv0NgQc).

metalheart
08-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Very nice ... very studly passing of the other riders. You must weigh like 90 pounds to make that speed. And, The Google glass thing is the future....

ahpook
08-08-2013, 11:29 PM
nice job Jenny! smoked 'em all. :D

plattyjo
08-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Very nice ... very studly passing of the other riders. You must weigh like 90 pounds to make that speed. And, The Google glass thing is the future....

In my dreams I weigh 90 lbs. :) With some design improvements and a longer battery life, Glass might be a great contender for shooting video on the bike in the future.

nice job Jenny! smoked 'em all. :D

Thanks!

Louis
08-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Couldn't have been that bad - you weren't just staring down at the three feet of road in front of your wheel! ;)

Good job.

Does the Google Glass come with shaded lenses too?

plattyjo
08-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Couldn't have been that bad - you weren't just staring down at the three feet of road in front of your wheel! ;)

Good job.

Does the Google Glass come with shaded lenses too?

Thanks! And yes, Glass comes with clear and shaded lenses (which I was wearing that day (http://blogs.kqed.org/science/2013/08/08/explorers-log-chasing-carrots-around-lake-tahoe-with-google-glass/).)

RFC
08-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Very well done. Thanks for the demonstration. I agree, part of the future.

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks!

bloody sunday
08-09-2013, 01:36 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing. I got a chance to try them on and use them for a bit a little while ago. A couple (husband and wife) I know are googlers and they let me play with one. I thought it was a fantastic piece of tech. I can't wait to try it out like you did.

Also, nice job on dropping the others!

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

bewheels
08-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Great video. Your captions really help understand what we are looking at and what you are experiencing. Great ride.

Broccoli Cog
08-09-2013, 05:14 AM
That was really cool. Amazing scenery there as well. First time I saw Google Glass in action. Thanks for sharing.

fuzzalow
08-09-2013, 06:30 AM
That is some pretty nice riding by you in an area with some very nice riding! The captions make the experience close to home for anyone watching. Bravo.

john903
08-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Question though how is the traffic around the lake? I used to go skiing at Heavenly Valley 30 year ago and always thought a bike ride around the lake would be fun (hard.) But being a tourist area is there lots of traffic or just go real early in the morning? Oh and great job passing everyone it looked like you were just cruising right along.
Have fun.

MattTuck
08-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice job, but <uncatchablecarrot> ? for his sake, I hope not.

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Question though how is the traffic around the lake? I used to go skiing at Heavenly Valley 30 year ago and always thought a bike ride around the lake would be fun (hard.) But being a tourist area is there lots of traffic or just go real early in the morning? Oh and great job passing everyone it looked like you were just cruising right along.
Have fun.

We left at 7AM and it was still busy at that hour, especially along the north shore. While there are some bike paths, it's easier/faster to stay on the road for the 72-mile ride. And some areas have no shoulder. So yeah, it can be hectic with the traffic when it's high tourist season (but for the most part, they're respectful to cyclists.) I'm guessing weekdays would probably be somewhat calmer.

And thanks all for your kind words!

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 10:37 AM

I don't know if I'll ever be able to stay on his wheel on a climb - hasn't happened yet in 7 years!

mike p
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Great job climbing and shooting! Please keep posting.

Mike

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Great job climbing and shooting! Please keep posting.

Mike

Thanks, will do! There's also other videos in my accompanying article (http://blogs.kqed.org/science/2013/08/08/explorers-log-chasing-carrots-around-lake-tahoe-with-google-glass/).

54ny77
08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
beautiful scenery, one helluva climb. nice job!

MadRocketSci
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Have fun.

you can ride the event called "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" (dunno about that), and the road up around emerald bay closes for two hours.

http://www.bikethewest.com/americas-most-beautiful-bike-ride/

p.s. on the descent, watch out for crashing midwesterners...

Gsinill
08-09-2013, 12:47 PM

ROTFL, literally!!!

learningtoride
08-09-2013, 12:58 PM

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks, all!

CDM
08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
now more people can show us the great things they do. Kind of like facebook. no thanks

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
now more people can show us the great things they do. Kind of like facebook. no thanks

I guess this is what this icon's for: :butt:

93legendti
08-09-2013, 08:46 PM
800' climbed in 9 miles? Did I understand that right?

ColonelJLloyd
08-09-2013, 09:00 PM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8iwWZEjV6ibhefUcz1SRddqV--so6MXvlQV3lNqc6ER5gfYas

downtube
08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Fantastic effort, I have to admit my heart rate went up as you rode. I really enjoyed the video,
thanks for sharing
chuck

plattyjo
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
800' climbed in 9 miles? Did I understand that right?

Approximately (we started in South Lake so not quite at the base); what makes the climb challenging is the altitude as you end up close to 7000 ft. elevation.

93legendti
08-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Approximately (we started in South Lake so not quite at the base); what makes the climb challenging is the altitude as you end up close to 7000 ft. elevation.

Got it.

ultraman6970
08-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Looks nice, how steep is it?...

Joe
08-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Have fun.

There are at least two organized rides around Tahoe each year - America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride, in June, and Tour de Tahoe, in September. Both go clockwise around the Lake and incorporate the Emerald Bay climb. That climb is closed to auto traffic for those rides - we did the ride this past June, and it was great not to worry about the traffic. I would be reluctant to ride that route under normal circumstances.

Ditto...great job passing the other riders, and lots of fun watching the video.

Edit...guess it would have helped if I read the entire thread before posting...I missed MadRocketSci's reply before I posted...sorry.

Joe

dlui
08-10-2013, 08:42 PM
thanks for the video, I am an Asian Wheelmen. You passed one of the lead groups that we were meeting at the Emerald Bay Vista Point rest area. This year the weather at Tahoe was perfect, low 80's. We rode the Lake in the high 90's some years. As mentioned before, it is the altitude and lack of O2 that gets to you. Not so much the grade of climb. It is one of the most scenic rides a few hours drive from San Francisco. We look forward to riding it every year. We are not a club, more like a group of friends that have been riding together for many years.

plattyjo
08-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Looks nice, how steep is it?...

I think it varies between 3-4% w/ some brief sections kicking up to 9-10%?

thanks for the video, I am an Asian Wheelmen. You passed one of the lead groups that we were meeting at the Emerald Bay Vista Point rest area. This year the weather at Tahoe was perfect, low 80's. We rode the Lake in the high 90's some years. As mentioned before, it is the altitude and lack of O2 that gets to you. Not so much the grade of climb. It is one of the most scenic rides a few hours drive from San Francisco. We look forward to riding it every year. We are not a club, more like a group of friends that have been riding together for many years.

Glad you got to see it! Be sure to share it with the group; my husband is Shawn, aka The Bearded One and used to ride regularly with y'all on Sundays. :)

Changster
08-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks Jenny for sharing this new high tech video with all of us. That was very impressive, seeing you pass up the lead group going up to the Emerald Bay lookout. I hope you and Shawn enjoyed the Lake Tahoe ride and the after ride potluck BBQ with the Asian Wheelmen this year.

metalheart
08-11-2013, 12:34 AM
OK so, I don't have to call the FBI about this dude with the beard stalking you. He looks seriously like he is watching you and now it is clear he is watching OVER you....... What a fun post. I hope the Google glass thing becomes more affordable and available so that there is a way to share cycling experiences such as the your post.

And, is he really wearing a Rapha jersey?

http://blogs.kqed.org/science/files/2013/07/glasstahoe3.jpg

plattyjo
08-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks Jenny for sharing this new high tech video with all of us. That was very impressive, seeing you pass up the lead group going up to the Emerald Bay lookout. I hope you and Shawn enjoyed the Lake Tahoe ride and the after ride potluck BBQ with the Asian Wheelmen this year.

Thanks for inviting us, and we had a great time! Definitely want to come out again.

OK so, I don't have to call the FBI about this dude with the beard stalking you. He looks seriously like he is watching you and now it is clear he is watching OVER you....... What a fun post. I hope the Google glass thing becomes more affordable and available so that there is a way to share cycling experiences such as the your post.

And, is he really wearing a Rapha jersey?

Yeah, I'm married to that bearded stalker. And yes, I do hope they lower the price point as well (and make some design tweaks) because it would be a great way to film video / take photos while on the bike.

And yeah, he's wearing Rapha, but he's no Fred. ;)