PDA

View Full Version : What's causing this noise?

sfscott
08-08-2013, 06:44 PM
During a 100k ride last weekend, I noticed a pinging sound (like plucking a spoke) coming from my rear wheel when I was slogging up a steep (for me) hill.

The grade was in the 8-10% range, and I was turning low RPMs on a 34x29 chain ring. Not sure what this is coming from and it did not happen on easier grades.

I imagine my bb/crank and wheels are plenty stiff despite my being a big guy. Wheels are Enves custom built and with only about 500 miles on them.

Frame is a very stiff carbon racing frame with Campy crank/BB also new with probably a couple hundred miles.

Louis
08-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Was this the first time that rear wheel had been on such a steep hill?

It was most probably the spokes - check to see if the wheel is true and the spokes for uniform tension.

sfscott
08-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Not the first time on a hill that size. Wheel is true but will check the tension.

Probably could use a touch up having been ridden a while.

rustychisel
08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
probably a spoke in its bed or a dry thread at nipple, but worst case scenario should be checked.... that the rear derailleur is moving over far enough to clip a drive side spoke. Examine all DS spokes closely for any signs of touching, shiny bright scuff marks.

VA-Scooter
08-08-2013, 07:31 PM
probably a spoke in its bed or a dry thread at nipple, but worst case scenario should be checked.... that the rear derailleur is moving over far enough to clip a drive side spoke. Examine all DS spokes closely for any signs of touching, shiny bright scuff marks.

+1 This was my first thought.

shovelhd
08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
+2.

fuzzalow
08-09-2013, 06:52 AM
The inner cage of the rear derailleur is glancing against the spokes of the rear wheel. The cage coming in contact with the spokes is also exacerbated sometimes by how the rear wheel is laced as far as the orientation of the pulling spokes and how they cross the non-pulling spokes. Too low a tension in the wheel also adds to the movement.

rustychisel
08-09-2013, 07:15 AM
The inner cage of the rear derailleur is glancing against the spokes of the rear wheel. The cage coming in contact with the spokes is also exacerbated sometimes by how the rear wheel is laced as far as the orientation of the pulling spokes and how they cross the non-pulling spokes. Too low a tension in the wheel also adds to the movement.

F**k me!

You can diagnose all that from the word 'pinging'. Colour me impressed.

fuzzalow
08-09-2013, 07:30 AM
F**k me!

You can diagnose all that from the word 'pinging'. Colour me impressed.

HaHa! What can I tell ya, I over think everything. Whadda anorak!

All kidding aside, the OP's problem could just as easily be solved with a half-turn adjustment on the limit screw on the derailleur. I shoulda posted that first but the easy way out is not what habitually pops into my head.

P.S. key words to make inference from the OP: "plucking"; "low RPMs on a 34x29 chain ring" and "are Enves custom built"

ronf100
08-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I had the same problem. Turns out the hangar was out of alignment . My mechanic fixed it with the Park Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge

MattTuck
08-09-2013, 08:15 AM
First thing to check, for me, would be making sure the wheels are seated correctly, and tightening the quick release skewers.

Easy/quick fix that has corrected a similar sound for me in the past.

After that, yeah... you get into the weird science of diagnosing bike sounds, get out your divining rods.

rustychisel
08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
HaHa! What can I tell ya, I over think everything. Whadda anorak!

All kidding aside, the OP's problem could just as easily be solved with a half-turn adjustment on the limit screw on the derailleur. I shoulda posted that first but the easy way out is not what habitually pops into my head.

Sorry fuzzy, it's Friday night. I had a beer or two.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2013, 08:22 AM
I had the same problem. Turns out the hangar was out of alignment . My mechanic fixed it with the Park Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge

Ahh, the famous PDHAG-1 from Park.

one60
08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
if so, might be saddle rails/clamp interface...over time dust & dirt accumulate there and can cause some loud pinging noises when pushing/pulling hard on the pedals while seated. Inclines can make it more apparent.

fuzzalow
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry fuzzy, it's Friday night. I had a beer or two.

No worries, mate! (Um, do they even say this phrase anymore Down Under? 'Cos if they don't I'd appreciate cluing me in to what is really said so I don't sound like some rube riffing off of movies from years ago.)

It was friday morning here in NYC/friday night Aussie when this thread started. I was gonna say knock down a few beers for me :beer: but by now you are probably well on your way...

Louis
08-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Well, we've all been waiting anxiously - do we have a diagnosis?