PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jersey moving out of Madison

fiamme red
08-08-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/retail-news/2013/08/07/yellow-jersey-move-store-out-madison

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/yellow-jersey-waves-the-white-flag-on-state-street/article_8d5df87e-bb00-5a42-863b-368ad691c86c.html

The last full service bike shop on State Street isn’t closing, but it is moving.

And its new home is nowhere near Madison’s Downtown. In fact, it’s not even in Dane County. But it will be close to a post office and is a surprising addition to a small Columbia County farming community.

Yellow Jersey, a staple at 419 State St. for almost 40 years, is moving its bikes, parts, clothing and other accessories to a former bank building in Arlington.

The village of 823 people is four miles south of Poynette, 20 miles from Madison’s Downtown and light years from the skateboarders, tourists and thousands of college students that roam one of the state’s most recognizable streets.

witcombusa
08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Mr. Muzi has a great shop there. Have dealt with him over many decades.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/retail-news/2013/08/07/yellow-jersey-move-store-out-madison

Yellow Jersey to move store out of Madison

Published August 7, 2013

by BRAIN Staff

MADISON, WI (BRAIN) — Yellow Jersey Bike Shop is moving out of the city and into Arlington, a small town just north of Madison. The doors will open in its new space on October 1.

Owner Andrew Muzi said that the primary impetus for the move was the opportunity to invest in real estate. “We had the chance to buy a really beautiful building, so we took it,” said Muzi. “I’m looking forward to not having to rent anymore.”

Yellow Jersey is one of the oldest retail shops on Madison’s State Street, where it has been doing business since 1974. Muzi opened several other locations around the city over the years after the original store opened on University Avenue in 1971, but closed the other shops in the mid-90s in order to focus on the State Street store.

Muzi said Yellow Jersey has had a warm reception so far from Arlington residents and business owners. “We’ve received glowing welcomes from the chamber of commerce, the city hall and local bike clubs,” he said. “We’ve been flooded with encouraging calls and emails and are really excited to be here.”

At 2,000 square-feet, the new store, located at 219 Main Street, is roughly the same size as the Madison store, which sells bicycles from Waterford, Gunner, Calfee, Raleigh, Redline and others. Muzi said he plans to place more emphasis on Yellow Jersey’s online sales once the move is complete.

weiwentg
08-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Mr. Muzi has a great shop there. Have dealt with him over many decades.

Yellow Jersey to move store out of Madison

Published August 7, 2013

by BRAIN Staff

MADISON, WI (BRAIN) — Yellow Jersey Bike Shop is moving out of the city and into Arlington, a small town just north of Madison. The doors will open in its new space on October 1.

Owner Andrew Muzi said that the primary impetus for the move was the opportunity to invest in real estate. “We had the chance to buy a really beautiful building, so we took it,” said Muzi. “I’m looking forward to not having to rent anymore.”

Yellow Jersey is one of the oldest retail shops on Madison’s State Street, where it has been doing business since 1974. Muzi opened several other locations around the city over the years after the original store opened on University Avenue in 1971, but closed the other shops in the mid-90s in order to focus on the State Street store.

Muzi said Yellow Jersey has had a warm reception so far from Arlington residents and business owners. “We’ve received glowing welcomes from the chamber of commerce, the city hall and local bike clubs,” he said. “We’ve been flooded with encouraging calls and emails and are really excited to be here.”

At 2,000 square-feet, the new store, located at 219 Main Street, is roughly the same size as the Madison store, which sells bicycles from Waterford, Gunner, Calfee, Raleigh, Redline and others. Muzi said he plans to place more emphasis on Yellow Jersey’s online sales once the move is complete.

Their present site is poorly designed. Not sure online sales is really going to help them. I wish them luck.

christian
08-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Their present site is poorly designed. Not sure online sales is really going to help them. I wish them luck.Are you kidding? Andy is the guy you call when Harris Cyclery doesn't have the odd part you need. I can only imagine they do the majority of their business online already.

akelman
08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Not to sound even older and grumpier and get-off-my-lawnier than usual, but that shop was a huge part of my undergraduate experience. It makes me really sad to think that another State Street storefront might be taken over by a national chain. Man, I'm wicked old and grumpy, and you should all get off my lawn.

eddief
08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
and good luck in the new relo. I used to talk to him about Sugino cranks. He used to grind off granny ring bolt studs to make effective low geared doubles.

witcombusa
08-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Are you kidding? Andy is the guy you call when Harris Cyclery doesn't have the odd part you need. I can only imagine they do the majority of their business online already.

He is a great source of info too. He still had suntour cog boards and silca frame pumps long after they fell from current status. I'm sure the phone is always ringing and a good part of his business is not foot traffic.

thwart
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Their present site is poorly designed. I wish them luck.
Ah, but an elegant website is less important than knowledge and customer service, grasshopper... at least for now.

Troglodyte, signing out.

It makes me really sad to think that another State Street storefront might be taken over by a national chain.

+100.

rphetteplace
08-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Yellow Jersey probably has more crap in it than any flea market in the country. iirc Andy has thousands of NOS Italian tubular rims in the basement. Truly the shop is amazing for the shear quantity of inventory. Andy on the other hand is a little off base.....

buck-50
08-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Shopping at yellow jersey is knowing that you are getting fleeced and being OK with it.

Andy knows exactly how much any part in his store currently sells for on ebay with shipping... he's kind of a savant like that.

And he knows that when you come into his shop looking for T.A. chainring bolts, that he's going to be able to charge you 40 bucks because if you are in his shop, you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for a week to get them off the internet for half his price.

Not that I'd know.

I'll miss the shop- it's kind of the perfect bike shop. But it's also pretty clear that Andy Muzi is tired of being on state street, tired of dealing with college kids and tired of Madison.

I wish him luck.

pinkshogun
08-08-2013, 09:13 PM
when i was looking for a certain Sugino crank andy called me personally to ask a question that he had

Harris' website is just a little easier to navigate than yellow jerseys IMHO

Scuzzer
08-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Shopping at yellow jersey is knowing that you are getting fleeced and being OK with it.

I should be right smack dab in the middle of his target audience but I'm not OK with getting fleeced so I've never purchased anything from him. Nothing he sells is absolutely a must have today so I can wait around and pay 50 to 75% less when the same item hits ebay in the next month or so. I want to buy his stuff I just can't justify the upcharge.

buck-50
08-08-2013, 09:53 PM
I should be right smack dab in the middle of his target audience but I'm not OK with getting fleeced so I've never purchased anything from him. Nothing he sells is absolutely a must have today so I can wait around and pay 50 to 75% less when the same item hits ebay in the next month or so. I want to buy his stuff I just can't justify the upcharge.

Yeah, but you're in Colorado. It's easy to avoid something when it's not in yer backyard...:)

Scuzzer
08-08-2013, 09:58 PM
But I go to Oldtaters shop for my impulse buys. I strictly stayed away until I needed his expertise on something and the next thing I knew I signed up for a handbuilt wheel and some HTFU socks. When I pick up the wheel I'll buy some other stuff. It's a sickness I tell ya.

bironi
08-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I wish the business well on their move. I've never been in the shop, but love the funky feel on the web.

fiamme red
08-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Nice blog post about the shop:

http://mrsmicawber.blogspot.com/2013/04/tallulah-visits-yellow-jersey.html

witcombusa
08-09-2013, 04:58 AM
Yellow Jersey probably has more crap in it than any flea market in the country. iirc Andy has thousands of NOS Italian tubular rims in the basement. Truly the shop is amazing for the shear quantity of inventory. Andy on the other hand is a little off base.....

I almost forgot about all those. Pricey but not too many other places to find them these days!

19wisconsin64
08-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Andy was always super helpful to me (going back to 1981). I wish him good luck in his new location..... but it still hurts...it was my favorite place to visit in Madison, WI.

Well, I'll just have to go a few extra miles now....he's got so many hidden jewels in his shop, it's well worth the effort to go to the Yellow Jersey!

oldpotatoe
08-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Their present site is poorly designed. Not sure online sales is really going to help them. I wish them luck.

You mean their web site?

Not a web design guy but geeezz..it conveys the message, which is what websites, like yellow page ads in the distant past, used to do.

A good store with a average web site will do just fine. A crappy store with a aahhhmmmaazing OMG, web site will not, IMHO. Web sites get ya to the dance floor, good service, knowledge, gets you the pretty girl.

gmcampy
08-12-2013, 07:36 AM
They repaired and painted my frame and shipped it back to me in LESS THAN a week! Yellow Jersey ROCKS!!!!

FlashUNC
08-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Not to sound even older and grumpier and get-off-my-lawnier than usual, but that shop was a huge part of my undergraduate experience. It makes me really sad to think that another State Street storefront might be taken over by a national chain. Man, I'm wicked old and grumpy, and you should all get off my lawn.

Same thing has been happening on Franklin St in Chapel Hill. A lot less local proprietors and a lot more national chains. Shame, really.

earlfoss
08-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Andy has had some run ins with the cops in Madison over the years that have attained him a little infamy around here.

I really doubt the cops in the new location will cut him as muck slack as the Madison Police Dept. has over the years.