PDA

View Full Version : Cateye Stealth

Chris
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Anyone have any experience with either model. I am looking at the 10. I don't use heart rate or power. I mainly don't want to strap a sensor to my bike. I have been using the Garmin 500, but the tabs broke for the second time and I can almost get a Cateye for the $89 that Garmin wants to repair the unit.

Anarchist
08-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I have been using the 50 for a couple of months. I too have pretty much given up the Garmin ( 3rd Garmin 500)

The unit works very well, the display is very clear and very crisp.

The only two complaints I have with the unit are;
1) you must use the USB cradle to charge it
2) you must use the USB cradle and Cateye software to download

The cradle issue would not bother me if I could find spares for sale, the use of the cradle is what keeps it waterproof. The Cateye software is what you would expect from Cateye. All I do is immediately download the files to .gpx format then i can use them in whatever package I want.

It is a good little unit. Very sturdy. Very simple to use. And it is not Garmin, I'm over Garmin.

joosttx
08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I have been using the 50 for a couple of months. I too have pretty much given up the Garmin ( 3rd Garmin 500)

The unit works very well, the display is very clear and very crisp.

The only two complaints I have with the unit are;
1) you must use the USB cradle to charge it
2) you must use the USB cradle and Cateye software to download

The cradle issue would not bother me if I could find spares for sale, the use of the cradle is what keeps it waterproof. The Cateye software is what you would expect from Cateye. All I do is immediately download the files to .gpx format then i can use them in whatever package I want.

It is a good little unit. Very sturdy. Very simple to use. And it is not Garmin, I'm over Garmin.
Agreed with your points about the cateye. It basically a cateye computer that uses GPS. I think you will be happy if you want that. If you want something like a Garmin 500 I think you will want more features than what Cateye provides. I like mine.

Chris
08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I liked the Garmin because I could mount it out front of the stem and I could download it into a calendar to keep track of my hours per week. No power, no heart rate, no concern about how steep the hill is...

I think I am the last guy to join Strava since I needed something now that my Garmin is toast. I like their reports better anyway, so all I need the Cateye to do is act like a computer like you said.

Anarchist
08-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Barfly do make a forward mount for the Cateye unit.

I have seen it advertised in various locations. I have not seen the physical unit, but it is out there somewhere.

I am on Ascent on the Mac to gather my data. As mentioned above, all I do is download the file to .gpx format and then good to go. So I am doing much the same as you.

Chris
08-08-2013, 04:55 PM
I've seen the Barfly mount and will order it. How long does the charge last?

Anarchist
08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I have never run it down, longest run for me was 6 hrs and based on the "bars" on screen I had lots left.

GOTHBROOKS
02-11-2018, 12:32 PM
i like my cateye steath evo but my only complaint is that the cateye version of the outfront mount rattles so much.
does anyone have a diy hack to make it not so loud on uneven terrain? im thinking electrical tape or something in the voids of the mount but im afraid that it will screw up the contacts on the bottom of the unit so it wont be able to charge when its plugged into the computer.

C50
02-11-2018, 02:10 PM
I have both the Cateye out front mount and the Barfly mount. The Barfly mount is is better because it eliminates the rattle you get with the Cateye mount. I did put a small piece of cork handlebar tape on the surface of the Cateye mount and it took care of the rattling but I have to put a new piece on it every few rides which is why I switched the Cateye mount to the bike I ride the least and have Barfly mounts on everything else.

GOTHBROOKS
02-11-2018, 02:14 PM
word thanks for that tip.

MagicHour
02-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Ive been using the Stealth 50 since about 2014. Fairly reliable, if not the most exciting, feature laden device. I get home sync my ride to Strava and it works. Maybe had 2 rides fail in last 3 years.

Prefer the 3rd party Barfly mount which I have on one bike but need to use the standard bartop mount on my main bike to better pickup signal from my Stages PM (drops out with out front mount).

Would I buy another when it finally fails? Hmm not sure.... I may want to try one of the new full featured Wahoo models (Bolt?) but for what it is and for my first bike GPS to use with Strava it's been fine.