PDA

View Full Version : .

cat6
08-08-2013, 12:26 PM
The Gateway District is a large open air retail, residential and office complex in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. The complex is centered around the historic Union Pacific Depot in downtown Salt Lake City. It currently contains over 105 stores and restaurants.

dekindy
08-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I ring my bell to say hello to pedestrians and to warn vehicles and pedestrians of my approach. It is always received positively and many times with a smile as it is a surprise because it is not expected from a road bike.

Mr Cabletwitch
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I use a bell on my mountain bike, living out in the country I don't really need on on my roadie as most of my riding is on country roads, but on my MTB I use it all the time to alert hikers and even other bikers when I need to overtake them. It never fails to surprise another MTBer when I ring my bell and cruise around them.

I've been looking for a new bell, but damn thats expensive. For now I'll just stick with the incredibell. Hopefully they can get it funded and sell them at 20 bucks or less.

JAGI410
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I like this idea, almost enough to sign up for Kickstarter and pledge. Almost.

timto
08-08-2013, 12:48 PM
i added a bell to the roadie just the other day - it was appreciated by my riding companions during narrow bridge crossings (bike / pedestrian shared path), coming up on slower riders...

It's definitely staying on.

SpokeValley
08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
The product looks pretty cool...I'll give it a try.

MattTuck
08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
"A new level of engineering and craftsmanship..."

Maybe they should be talking with Bradway and Divine... :help:

druptight
08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
My problem with this for my commuter with drop bars is that my hands can't be near my brakes and ringing the bell at the same time. If I'm riding in the door zone it's usually because I'm in traffic, and if I'm in traffic, I want my hands on the brakes. In the video the guy's got his hands in the middle of his bars every time he uses the bell.

hummus_aquinas
08-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Wow! I'm impressed! That bell looks and sounds great. I'm definitely into it

fuzzalow
08-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I mount a bell on the handlebars only for riding on vacation on the bike paths. On a bike path with other bicyclists, roller-bladers and pedestrians. At a speed not exceeding 15mph tops to slower than walking pace when working through traffic. Most people that see a bell on a Pegoretti-class road bike find the irony amusing. Only while on the bike path because I am there to enjoy the time & the view, not to work out.

Anything faster must be done takin' it to the streets.

IMO you are taking high risk in relying on a bell to announce your right of way or presence in normal riding. You may falsely expect courtesy and fair judgment in a friendly warning with a bell but that is a very big assumption. The only thing that matters is an obstructions speed and location relative to the path where you intercept. No bell tone, eye contact, wave, horn beep, nothing. You do not give up any of your margin for error by assuming cooperation from the operator, only what you can see.

Really don't mean to sound dour but never lose sight that it is dangerous out there.

Likes2ridefar
08-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I often commute on my Cervelo R5 in manhattan and have to use a bell. I usually just leave it there all the time.

I've gone through 3 bells finding one that works.

My first was a large rubber evil looking clown head that sounded like a mocking laugh when squeezed. I liked how it looked, but it was largely ignored on the MUP. When used during road rides to not scare someone while passing quickly, I found it actually ticked a few people off. Perhaps because of the tone, but I'm not for certain.

I then went to a rotary ringing bell. This one worked better than the clown on the MUP but was a bit clumsy to operate.

And finally, one that "DINGS" with a hammer on metal. This one works by far the best, is very easy to use, and is heard from far away in both directions. It even penetrates headphones in most instances.

fourflys
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I use a "bear bell" on my bikes... Basically a jingle bell on my handlebars... I haven't gotten eaten by a bear yet, so I guess it works... :)

Likes2ridefar
08-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I use a "bear bell" on my bikes... Basically a jingle bell on my handlebars... I haven't gotten eaten by a bear yet, so I guess it works... :)

that's a good idea. I have one of those and will see how it works notifying the bears on the Manhattan MUP.

tuxbailey
08-08-2013, 01:28 PM
That bell does look nice. But for $45....

Perhaps Rapha can back them and resell the black ones.

Likes2ridefar
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Yes I was ready to pledge until I saw the $35 price tag for the raw, which I prefer.

pass...

Bob Ross
08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
My problem with this for my commuter with drop bars is that my hands can't be near my brakes and ringing the bell at the same time. If I'm riding in the door zone it's usually because I'm in traffic, and if I'm in traffic, I want my hands on the brakes.

I have seen at least two people in my cycle club who have a bell mounted inside the drops, just under the levers, so that it's within reach of their thumbs from either the hoods or the drops.

I'm presuming these folks have atypically long thumbs.

But it seems to work for them, and if I were to use a bell I'd be looking for a similar mounting position.

Likes2ridefar
08-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I have seen at least two people in my cycle club who have a bell mounted inside the drops, just under the levers, so that it's within reach of their thumbs from either the hoods or the drops.

I'm presuming these folks have atypically long thumbs.

But it seems to work for them, and if I were to use a bell I'd be looking for a similar mounting position.

I have mine mounted right by the stem. I never had a problem activating it be it a city street or crowded path. i've hit it so many times I don't even need to look. it takes all of about one second and my hand is back on the hood. I have it on the right side so I can always use the front brake still but have never gotten into such a situation yet.

jpw
08-08-2013, 02:15 PM
My problem with this for my commuter with drop bars is that my hands can't be near my brakes and ringing the bell at the same time. If I'm riding in the door zone it's usually because I'm in traffic, and if I'm in traffic, I want my hands on the brakes. In the video the guy's got his hands in the middle of his bars every time he uses the bell.

cross top levers

charliedid
08-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I like that.

jmoore
08-08-2013, 02:23 PM

The Rapha version will need a single blue or pink stripe slightly offset from center. Then they can charge $75 for it.

mikemowbz
08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Having a bell on you bike is technically the law where I live (Vancouver, BC).

However, none of the three road bikes I have in the house have one (nor does the one in the shed, or the one in the shop).

In part, this is because I really haven't been too taken with my options when browsing the fairly substantial selection at my LBS.

These are a bit pricey, but I'm certainly tempted. Maybe not so out of line if the product is well-made, limited production, made in USA.

Likes2ridefar
08-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Having a bell on you bike is technically the law where I live (Vancouver, BC).

However, none of the three road bikes I have in the house have one (nor does the one in the shed, or the one in the shop).

In part, this is because I really haven't been too taken with my options when browsing the fairly substantial selection at my LBS.

These are a bit pricey, but I'm certainly tempted. Maybe not so out of line if the product is well-made, limited production, made in USA.

when i was pulled over for speeding on my bike I was told it was the law in NYC as well. fortunately they let me off just with a warning.

anyways, this is the bell I have only it's all black:

*edit* that's actually not what I have but it's very similar. my adjuster is a bit more robust as are the parts used. it may be the same brand but i don't really want to look around more:) what i was trying to show is it's quite small, rings loud, and is really easy on/off. i think I paid $15 for it at a LBS.
http://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-Incredibell-Adjustabell-Bicycle-Black/dp/B001SMNC4U/ref=sr_1_4?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1375990920&sr=1-4&keywords=incredibell

druptight
08-08-2013, 03:41 PM
cross top levers

I don't want these on my bike.

redir
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I like riding with a bell. The one I have can strap on to any bikes quickly so I just move it around from bike to bike including the fast ones when necessary. The one I have was cheap but has a nice effective ring to it.

ofcounsel
08-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Clean design. I like it. I pledged $35 for the raw version.

Climb01742
08-08-2013, 05:11 PM
you know how to whistle, don't you? Just put your lips together and blow.;)

Ralph
08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
My wife has a Parrot mounted on her bars. On the trail, she squeezes it and it sounds like an obnoxious horn. She says it's fashionable.....matches her outfits.

soupless
08-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I for one am totally fine with the price premium. It's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

It's discreet, very attractive, and appears loud. Urban commutes can be harrowing, and I don't love having a bell on my road bike. But I have to: it's the law and it's smart.

This solves my problem. I'm getting one in black. So excited.

ps-I mean you'll probably barely be able to see it from 3 feet away.

ahpook
08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Sweetest design, most discreet-loking bell I've seen in action:

http://harriscyclery.net/product/incredibell-bar-end-bell-brass-sku-be1000-qc49.htm

$13, available today. and no Kickstarter nonsense.

http://harriscyclery.net/images/library/catalogs/soc/p350X350m/BE1000.jpg

plattyjo
08-08-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm amazed how quickly they were funded (although I guess they're a known entity.) I went ahead and ordered one for my Hunter track bike (which has mostly made-in-the-US components, except for tubes/tires/chain) and so I could support Bevin Brothers. I believe they used to make bicycle bells back in the day but now only make hand bells, etc.

Scuzzer
08-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Any chance these are actually loud enough to be heard? I had a testy encounter with a guy on the MUT on Tuesday who obviously felt his vigorous ringing of his ineffectual bell was enough to alert me that he was coming through. He gave me a stern look as though I had forked the whole thing up but never said a word, a simple "on your left" would have sufficed.

pinkshogun
08-09-2013, 05:13 AM
brass hammer-strike is loud and sustains well

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bellh.htm

JAGI410
08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Last night I was riding my Big Dummy on the MUP, and my classic sounding ring-a-ling bell was completely ineffective to these ····head iPod addicted runners. If these new bell can penetrate through the hits of Maroon 5, then I'm definitely in.

avalonracing
08-09-2013, 08:22 AM
The Rapha version will need a single blue or pink stripe slightly offset from center. Then they can charge $75 for it.

And you all will fight over it when someone posts one for sale in the classifieds for $74.95

soupless
08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
they've raised about $10k more dollars since last evening. good work paceline!

bambam
08-09-2013, 10:26 AM

You can keep on hand on the brake while ringing the bell with the other with you hand on the tops.

I have bells on some of my bikes. All located on the stem or near the stem.

If you use the bell early enough you can see the reactions of who's attention you are trying to get. If there is is no reaction you have enough time to get back on the brakes. Although most my bells are on the right It may be better to have them on the left so you can alway have the other hand on the rear brake in case you don't have enough time to get the other hand back, should you have to remove it from the bars. This might minimize the bars twisting in a one handed braking technique.

woolly
08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
My initial take was that these looked nice, and interesting, but wouldn't bite at that price. But now I might consider one for a gift, for one of those cycling-nut friends that has most everything, & would appreciate it but (like myself) wouldn't buy one for themselves at that price.

Likes2ridefar
08-09-2013, 10:31 AM
My initial take was that these looked nice, and interesting, but wouldn't bite at that price. But now I might consider one for a gift, for one of those cycling-nut friends that has most everything, & would appreciate it but (like myself) wouldn't buy one for themselves at that price.

still have my shipping address?:bike:

redir
08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Sweetest design, most discreet-loking bell I've seen in action:

http://harriscyclery.net/product/incredibell-bar-end-bell-brass-sku-be1000-qc49.htm

$13, available today. and no Kickstarter nonsense.

http://harriscyclery.net/images/library/catalogs/soc/p350X350m/BE1000.jpg

Woaw that's pretty cool. How do you click it?

gemship
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I like the idea of riding with a bell. This is thought provoking;)

redir
08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
If I'm riding in the door zone it's usually because I'm in traffic...

Please do yourself and the ones who love you a favor and don't EVER ride in the door zone. In fact riding in the door zone in traffic is the worst case scenario. Getting doored pushes you right into traffic. Watch below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CudJvSbS2aY

Jgrooms
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Yes. Early morning (5 am ) rides take me through park. Hundreds of deer in this park - even after they 'harvest' them. And bell sometimes slows dogs for a second or two as they try to figure it out.

woolly
08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Bells & multi-use trails, ah.

I'm starting to form the opinion that the bell sound instructs walkers to immediately freeze, move to the very middle of the trail, and gaze up into the branches of the surrounding trees searching for "what's making that dinging noise. . . "

William
08-09-2013, 05:23 PM
you know how to whistle, don't you? Just put your lips together and blow.;)

I just start barking like a dog......But that bell looks nice.

William

54ny77
08-09-2013, 05:30 PM
that bell's for wimps.

now this, this is a real man's bicycle awareness tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=when3v7NVFk

donevwil
08-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm starting to form the opinion that the bell sound instructs walkers to immediately freeze, move to the very middle of the trail, and gaze up into the branches of the surrounding trees searching for "what's making that dinging noise. . . "

Kind of like "Passing on your left" causes the walker to move to their left. Arghh !

thirdgenbird
08-09-2013, 05:41 PM
That is the first bell I've seen that wouldn't look out of place on a nice road bike.

#campyuserftw
08-09-2013, 05:52 PM
This might be the first bell/bike component I've ever seen, utilizing Red Loctite # 263. See video @ 1:33, the bell is built for the Nürburgring.

Notes: The best high strength liquid threadlocker just got better with new primerless Loctite[REG] 263[TM] High Strength Threadlocker.
Use to permanently lock and seal bolts up to 3/4"
Removable with heat and hand tools
Oil resistant
Withstands temperatures from -65F to +360F

SpokeValley
08-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Looks like they got more than funded...pretty cool.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/139160027/a-better-bicycle-bell-made-in-the-usa/posts/563994?ref=email&show_token=555f672bbf69a65b

bewheels
08-10-2013, 03:29 AM
I find it interesting that on a forum that is dominated by a love for well crafted, handmade, limited production goodness...there is talk about $35 for this item being too pricey.

thirdgenbird
08-10-2013, 07:15 AM
I agree. $35 sounds high at first, but start comparing it to other bike parts. I will pay $25 for cleats, bar tape, or brake pads and those are just consumables. This bell on the other hand is one of the cheaper "forever" bike parts you could buy.

Comparing this bell to a typical bell is probably along the same lines as comparing a hand crafted frame to a mass produced mid-level alloy frame. We could all be saving money by riding the mass produced frame. Some of them actually ride pretty well, but that doesn't stop people from paying 10x as much.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2013, 07:19 AM
I find it interesting that on a forum that is dominated by a love for well crafted, handmade, limited production goodness...there is talk about $35 for this item being too pricey.

It'll be available at Ribble before you know it for $19.

Wilkinson4
08-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I jumped in but wish I would have seen this first:)

http://kingcage.com/assets/img/barBell.jpg

http://kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

firerescuefin
08-10-2013, 11:58 AM

I'll ring the bell on this one...For the craftsmanship...I don't think it's overpriced at all.

csm
08-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm gonna get one I think. I use the same bear bell on my trail bike when riding through the PA pine creek gorge and when backpacking. I don't think that's quite as neat a solution. Though I'll probably continue with the bear bell next month up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

handsomerob
08-11-2013, 12:50 PM
It'll be available at Ribble before you know it for $19.

and save 15% if you use code... GRYMKT15

harlond
08-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I signed up for one because they're cool. That said, the Crane copper Suzu (of which i have two) is loud, sounds good, and I think all metal for half the price.

dogdriver
08-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Very cool. I might get one if I get the urge for an impulse purchase...

As for now, I'm sold on the Incredibell:

http://www.mirrycle.com/original_bell.php

About $10.00. We have at least 10-- on each bike in the house, including the stoker bar on the tandem.

I used to make fun of riders with bells...until I got sick of yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" (too gruff) or shifting gears (no one hears it). The bell seems to get the attention of the "many people gabbing and taking up the entire trail" crowd and seems to get through ipod buds to the user. An unintended benefit: A ding of the bell and you're instantly friends with a dog. Now, I ding a few times even when approaching doggies head-on-- the owner thinks I'm an idiot (don't care), but the dog wags his tail and lets me pass with no nips. Kids dig 'em, too.

illdthedj
08-12-2013, 10:05 AM
sorry didn't read thru this thread, not sure if this has been posted but...

I was looking for a bell that wouldn't be horribly out of place on my more fancy pants sporty road bikes (ie carbon and titanium) and found this to be the best (ie quasi-sporty looking) :

http://www.bikeparts.com/pimage/BPC147784.jpg

its a headset spacer bell, which is nice since you can place it in a way so you cant see it driveside (for when you are taking pictures of your bike to post on the internet lol)

AND it would be super fancy if you had a SRAM group :)