PDA

View Full Version : tell me the new Flickr isn't better - Tom Kellogg shows us why it is

eddief
08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spectrumcycles/sets/72157634124137696/

jlwdm
08-08-2013, 09:00 AM
What a great set of photos start to finish.

Jeff

EricEstlund
08-08-2013, 09:02 AM
That's a great set (but I'm still not convinced about the changes to flicker).

witcombusa
08-08-2013, 09:02 AM
The "NEW" flicker is not better or worse...
just different. I was fine with it the way it was but do like the added capacity.

christian
08-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Yup, still can't focus on one single photo. Still awful.

(Nice set of photos, though.)

junkfood
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Fantastic set of photos, and I am also a fan of the new flickr.

Jake

rice rocket
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Did they Google+ the Flickr?

eddief
08-08-2013, 09:26 AM
then it gets big...so you can focus on it. What's the prob :).

(Nice set of photos, though.)

phcollard
08-08-2013, 09:31 AM
The new Flickr is dreadful. I have a long list of things that are wrong but at the top you can find :
1. Infinite scroll is the worst user experience ever invented.
2. Rendering consumes way too many browser resources. People with a low CPU/RAM/HD profile I feel your pain.

Perfect example of redesign driven by stupid business decisions. Or how to make something that has been working for year an absolute nightmare.

Rant over. I hate Flickr now.

eddief
08-08-2013, 09:51 AM
delete

OtayBW
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Flikr Schmikr. Those are some cool pics. :banana:

jtakeda
08-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Flickr? I hardly even know her.

Great pics.

eddief
08-08-2013, 10:16 AM
cool name. Flickr, Tumblr, Schmikr.

Flikr Schmikr. Those are some cool pics. :banana:

phcollard
08-08-2013, 10:22 AM
right in the middle at the top. I just use my index finger, bend it a bit, and the infinite scroll is just a snappy little action. Up, down as fast or slow as you like :).

Funny :) How about when you scroll though hundreds of pics? Is your computer still happy? How about when you want to send a link to the bottom of that search result to a friend? Impossible because there's no pagination.

My point is coming from a recent (bad) experience when I searched for "Independent crown jewel". And I want to see them ALL because I'm looking for a paint scheme for my next bike.

First : pictures don't load quick enough, maybe my index finger is too fast, and I'm stuck waiting for the "fetching more photos" stupid animation.

Second : that über magic scroll is all but smooth. And I use a rather powerful computer. Granted it's a Mac lol.

Third : you find a nice paint scheme. Click on the picture to see more details. Then hit the back button hoping to start again where you left. No no. That back brings you in the middle of nowhere, you have to magic scroll again. Oh and "fetching more photos".

Like it was too complicated to keep thumbnails and pagination? Failr.

rice rocket
08-08-2013, 10:30 AM
maybe my index finger is too fast

That's what she said.

phcollard
08-08-2013, 10:35 AM
that's what she said.

potd :) :)

eddief
08-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Here on Comcast cable loading is incredibly fast, scrolling is smooth as titanium, and actually when I choose a photo from a line of 3 thumbs, see it big, and then go back...I am put right on the row I came from even in the middle of a large scroll.

But as in bikes, we love what we like. I get it.

Funny :) How about when you scroll though hundreds of pics? Is your computer still happy? How about when you want to send a link to the bottom of that search result to a friend? Impossible because there's no pagination.

My point is coming from a recent (bad) experience when I searched for "Independent crown jewel". And I want to see them ALL because I'm looking for a paint scheme for my next bike.

First : pictures don't load quick enough, maybe my index finger is too fast, and I'm stuck waiting for the "fetching more photos" stupid animation.

Second : that über magic scroll is all but smooth. And I use a rather powerful computer. Granted it's a Mac lol.

Third : you find a nice paint scheme. Click on the picture to see more details. Then hit the back button hoping to start again where you left. No no. That back brings you in the middle of nowhere, you have to magic scroll again. Oh and "fetching more photos".

JasonF
08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
This type of craftsmanship is an absolute bargain, especially compared to the crap I've wasted money on over the years. My Spectrum is a joy to ride...

jds108
08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Is there a way to go through that (or any) Flickr gallery in full screen without the pictures doing the slow zoom/shift bs?

jmoore
08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
That was some complete greatness right there. Everything was perfect. Whatever he charges for a lugged steel frame is not enough.

eddief
08-08-2013, 12:14 PM
miter me tighter.

maunahaole
08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
TK content makes any web site better.

druptight
08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Amazing pictures. I wish I could go be a fly on the wall for a day of how they finish a joint. I've done 2 lugged frames now, ride them both, they're straight, love them - but for the love of God, I can't figure out how they do their finish work to get from the raw-brazed joints down to the super tight, cleaned up lug lines.

I know being a good brazer is step 1 (leaves you less to clean up), but you can still see some brass around his lugs initially that when cleaned up are just pristine - and I can't for the life of me get that result. Mine look pretty clean once painted, but I can never get a joint to look that clean pre-paint.

ColonelJLloyd
08-08-2013, 02:15 PM

+1 This is my biggest beef with the new layout.

bewheels
08-09-2013, 03:25 AM
When you have content like this - the incredible skill to create a frame like this - it makes it easier to ignore the short comings of Flickr.

palincss
08-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Click on the single photo. It has your total focus; you can, if you wish, view it in a lightbox or even full screen. Click on the ... and one of your choices is view all sizes, which looks exactly as it did before.

palincss
08-10-2013, 02:32 PM
You want pagination and the look of the old flickr? add ?details=1 to the URL.

jtakeda
08-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I liked the old flickr but the new one isnt bad.

With Google Chrome and the hover zoom add on installed it works quite well.

TPetsch
08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
I enjoyed that very much.

...Thanks for sharing!

#campyuserftw
08-10-2013, 07:00 PM
His jig set-up, precise hand work, tooling, and attention to details, is supreme.

There are (famous) builders who sell quite a few lugged frames, and they've either allowed their shop/craft, to become more art, than science, either never used modern set-ups, tooling, or feel their art work is above it. This man's shop, tools, and results are the ultimate combination of art, math, and science.

I do not own a Kellogg, I have no bias; not all lugged builders, even if they have fame, success, backlog, and sales, are the same, and this man's work is a cut above.

Doug Fattic
08-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Amazing pictures. I wish I could go be a fly on the wall for a day of how they finish a joint. I've done 2 lugged frames now, ride them both, they're straight, love them - but for the love of God, I can't figure out how they do their finish work to get from the raw-brazed joints down to the super tight, cleaned up lug lines.

I know being a good brazer is step 1 (leaves you less to clean up), but you can still see some brass around his lugs initially that when cleaned up are just pristine - and I can't for the life of me get that result. Mine look pretty clean once painted, but I can never get a joint to look that clean pre-paint.

Brazing clean shorelines is a matter of using proper technique. It doesn't require many hours of practice. My framebuilding class students can do it on their first frame. That is part of the competitive advantage of learning from an experienced builder/teacher. I can't demonstrate how to do this with words but can say if you leave extra tubing sticking out past the lugs, you can flow your extra silver onto that.

If for some reason there is still silver poking out beyond the lug because of poor brazing technique, it is possible get rid of it with riffler files.

cachagua
08-11-2013, 12:33 AM
The new Flickr is dreadful...

What would you recommend instead? I need a place to put some photos. Something basic, I don't ask much, except simplicity.

Bueller? Anyone?

mcteague
08-11-2013, 05:53 AM
His jig set-up, precise hand work, tooling, and attention to details, is supreme.

There are (famous) builders who sell quite a few lugged frames, and they've either allowed their shop/craft, to become more art, than science, either never used modern set-ups, tooling, or feel their art work is above it. This man's shop, tools, and results are the ultimate combination of art, math, and science.

I do not own a Kellogg, I have no bias; not all lugged builders, even if they have fame, success, backlog, and sales, are the same, and this man's work is a cut above.

FYI, Jeff Duser does the actual frame building for Spectrum. Tom handles design, paint work and the general business stuff.

Tim

pinkshogun
08-11-2013, 06:50 AM
it looks similiar to flickr but i find it easier to use and im not that computer savvy

cmbicycles
08-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Being a welder/fabricator and mechanic in a previous career, and an old school bike mechanic in another, I would love to be able to spend some time visiting The Barn. Just watching Tom and Jeff at work would be so much fun, and a whole lot of learning. I enjoy going to fairs and historical sites where, you can watch old world craftsmen at work on their craft and the like. It is also great because they are there to answer questions and such too... Ie Williamsburg, Jamestown, etc.
I don't have anything I can say good or bad about flicker, I love these pictures though. Thanks for posting the link.

phcollard
08-11-2013, 12:00 PM
What would you recommend instead? I need a place to put some photos. Something basic, I don't ask much, except simplicity.

Bueller? Anyone?

I switched to SmugMug. It's not social but for hosting/linking/sharing pictures with the family (or forums) it's great.

cachagua
08-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I'll check both those out. Heck, if I get good at this, maybe I can even post some shots here.

We return you now to your regularly-scheduled discussion of miraculous framebuilding. . .

pbarry
08-11-2013, 12:05 PM
FYI, Jeff Duser does the actual frame building for Spectrum. Tom handles design, paint work and the general business stuff.

Tim

Tom sculpts the lugs as well. TK and JD are one of the more creative and efficient teams in contemporary frame building.

Great presentation. I like the new Flikr for this kind of album. Way better than tiny thumbnails.

mcteague
08-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Tom sculpts the lugs as well. TK and JD are one of the more creative and efficient teams in contemporary frame building.

Great presentation. I like the new Flikr for this kind of album. Way better than tiny thumbnails.

And here I thought they only made their own lugs for special builds. From their website:

WE MAKE OUR OWN LUGS FROM SCRATCH
Talk about taking too much time! We actually make, from scratch, all the lugs that are required to construct our steel frames. Is this an efficient method of construction? No way. Is it a better and more beautiful method of building a custom frame? Absolutely. It's all we need to know.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/materials.php

Tim

giverdada
08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
And here I thought they only made their own lugs for special builds. From their website:

WE MAKE OUR OWN LUGS FROM SCRATCH
Talk about taking too much time! We actually make, from scratch, all the lugs that are required to construct our steel frames. Is this an efficient method of construction? No way. Is it a better and more beautiful method of building a custom frame? Absolutely. It's all we need to know.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/materials.php

Tim

Ah, okay. Now I get it. I was going to ask why the double work of brazing the joints and then cutting them into lugs, but I imagine it just allows them to fully customize the entire thing, angles and tube diameters, while also going with a lugged build. Crazy. Almost like liquid-light-photo-based-intaglio printmaking. Extra/(redundant) steps that just make things different and awesome. Verrrry cool build, that.

ShockTreatment
08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
If you are interested in seeing what the bike looks like built up, and in hearing about its origin, see this link on VS (Post #617)

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/spectrum-4250-31.html#post534151