PDA

View Full Version : new axle standard questions

d_douglas
08-07-2013, 11:24 PM
I am wondering if I can use anything but standard 9mm axles on my old school steel hard tail with Ritchey vertical dropouts? I have had a disc tab added, so I am using discs.

I have heard of 10mm and 12mm axles (as well as 142/150/170mm etc) but realize that I am limited to 135mm. Just wondering if I could use wider axles and if this would accomplish anything.

This has come up because I am looking into a new set of MTB wheels, and wonder what my options are when looking into modern used wheels.

Thanks for any advice!

aosty
08-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Your Ritchey likely has 135mm spacing with a 10mm axle.

Options:

135mm QR = 135mm dropout width + an extra 5.5mm on each end that slide and fit into your dropout slot. These ends are 10mm (not 9mm) diameter and are used with a 5mm skewer rod. This is identical to common road bikes except for 135mm vs. 130mm.

135mm thru-bolt aka "135x10" = same 135mm dropout width but does away with the extra 5.5mm ends. The axle terminates against the inside face of the dropouts and has a much larger 10mm diameter hole for use with a 10mm skewer or bolt. Example... http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/RWS-Thru-bolt

You won't be able to use the other sizes you mentioned.

J.Greene
08-08-2013, 06:06 AM
On a steel hard tail you won't notice any difference between axles.

d_douglas
08-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Yes, I am not so concerned about what I will feel (as I think my old skewered ones feel fine) but of what is available to me. It seems that more and more, rear wheels are available with bolt-thru axles etc. and I am wondering if this will even work with my frame.

The frame is a hand made Rocky Mountain with Ritchey dropouts, if that matters. Disc tab was added by Dekerf.

AOSTY - you lost me. Other than yes, nothing but a 135mm axle will work. WIthin these confines, will these 10mm and 12mm axles work?

aosty
08-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Simplified:

1) 135mm QR = hollow axle + regular skinny skewer like what you've probably been using

2) 135mm x 10mm thru-bolt = big fat skewer-axle-thing instead of #1.. see DT Swiss link

Either will work with your bike.

ofcounsel
08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Realisticly, youre bike is set up for the standard 10x135mm rear MTB axle wheels, you wont gain any advantage with different axles because your bike isnt designed for it. But If you are looking for new wheels that will work for your bike, but are versatile to work with other MTB frames with different standards, consider getting wheels like Sun Ringle Black Flags. They have hubs that adapt to various current axle standards. The fronts will work with 9mmQR, 15mm ThruAxle and 20mm ThruAxle. The rears will work with 10x135 and 12x142.

There are other brands with similar adaptable hubs like Easton and American Classic.