PDA

View Full Version : Solution for stowing layers?

vqdriver
08-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Early morning starts mean arm and knee warmers under a shell. After the first stop all that went into my pockets along with gels and phone to sag and sway all day. Annoying as hell.

What's a somewhat graceful way to stash that amount of stuff on a carbon bike without resorting to a seatpost rack? Not really looking to invest in anything fancy.

R2D2
08-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Maybe a frame bag that hangs from seat tube and top tube?

cat6
08-07-2013, 01:58 AM

christian
08-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Mesh baselayer and Castelli Fedele or 100% wool jersey obviates the need for a shell. Warmers in center pocket. Done. BTW, what kind of shell are you using? I'd not want to use anything heavier than a Patagooch Houdini if I absolutely had to carry one.

Peter P.
08-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Better fitting jerseys.

MattTuck
08-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Raise your arm and hand it off to the support car. ;)

Seriously, if you stop and take the time to fold the arm warmers and shell, you can probably get them small enough to sit in the jersey pockets. If your saddle bag has any elastic cords, you could use those to hold the clothing. If not, you could get some cording and fashion your own system to hold the clothing to the saddlebag.

Another alternative is to stash the clothing somewhere and pick it up at the end of the ride.

cp43
08-07-2013, 07:20 AM
On long rides I'll use a small handlebar bag. Like this (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBB-BL) one from Jandd. It fits on any of my bikes, and will hold small clothing items and some snacks. I got the lion version because it was on sale when I was looking for a bag, they make plain bags too, and other images.

I've also found that keeping things balanced in my jersey pockets makes a big difference to how much I notice, and am annoyed by the items there. Neatly folding things, and keeping heavier things in the middle pocket also makes a big difference to me.

Chris

Gummee
08-07-2013, 07:34 AM
If you KNOW its going to warm up, skip the shell and just do something like a newspaper or plastic bag on your chest. A 'chest sized' plastic bag can be folded VERY small.

If you don't want to do that, skip the shell and do a vest/gilet. Packs smaller.

I'll second the 'wool is your friend' comment.

M

christian
08-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Italian windbreaker:
http://static0.hln.be/static/photo/2013/7/15/14/20130209023615/media_l_5541794.jpg

kramnnim
08-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Not graceful, but I stuff three warmers into the fourth arm warmer and tie it around my handlebars.

eddief
08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Take your stuff off, wrap it in a smooth roll, and then secure the roll with two curly laces and two cord locks. Half the people in my bike club use this approach to stow stuff when they need to. Laces available in many places and cord locks are at REI. You could also use a small stuff sack and secure it with the laces.

When not in use the laces sit neatly curled under your saddle.

http://www.amazon.com/Footgalaxy-Twister-Curly-Laces-Shoelaces/dp/B0013EONH8

http://www.bikebagshop.com/xtracycle-cord-lock-for-2010-2007-freeloader-bags-p-3373.html?gdftrk=gdfV22203_a_7c1316_a_7c8343_a_7c3 373&gclid=COz6v5-067gCFeZxQgod8A8AVw

christian
08-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Not graceful, but I stuff three warmers into the fourth arm warmer and tie it around my handlebars.

vs.

Take your stuff off, wrap it in a smooth roll, and then secure the roll with two curly laces and two cord locks.

And the judge's ruling is that bar sausage beats saddle dreadlocks! :eek:

EDS
08-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Early morning starts mean arm and knee warmers under a shell. After the first stop all that went into my pockets along with gels and phone to sag and sway all day. Annoying as hell.

What's a somewhat graceful way to stash that amount of stuff on a carbon bike without resorting to a seatpost rack? Not really looking to invest in anything fancy.

What is the temp range from start of ride to end?

Bradford
08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Here in Colorado you can start a long ride in the 30s and end up in the 80s, so I bought a Revelate Pika. I've used it on some 6-8 hour rides and it was perfect...you don't even know it is there.

I take the seat pack off and put it in the Pika, then after that I can fit in food, extra water, and any clothes I take off. I just finished the Copper Triangle by the end of the day had a vest, a fleece, arm warmers, and leg warmers in there, plus some food and sun screen. With that amount of stuff it was about full in its smallest setting, but still could be expanded 2X if I needed it.

I hate to ride with anything in my pockets, so for me, this is the best thing that has come along in a long time. They are a great company to deal with also.

JAGI410
08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
The only graceful way to do this will be to buy a steel bike and a Carradice saddle bag.

bambam
08-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Acorn saddle bag and get the additional straps to load stuff on top.

Back pack

Expandable seatbag.

If you only use one waterbottle get one of thosr cariers that fit in a bike cage an use the unused one.

forgo the arm warmers and put those chemical hand warmers in the sleeves of the shell.

Ahneida Ride
08-07-2013, 09:29 AM
The only graceful way to do this will be to buy a steel bike and a Carradice saddle bag.

Yup .... get a small Carradice bag ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88602804/Bedford.JPG

christian
08-07-2013, 10:15 AM

[x] like!

Likes2ridefar
08-07-2013, 01:09 PM
ditch the arm warmers for something like christian mentioned, the houdini. I use a mountain hardwear ghost whisperer. It's smaller than a spare tube when stuffed in the built in pouch. weighs about 2oz.

far more versatile.

pdmtong
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM

invest in a more packable shell. the pearl izumi's pack down to nothing. the rapha stowaway/wind jacket does not pack down to nothing.

paulh
08-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Lose the phone.:rolleyes:

gasman
08-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I think it says

"Solution for storing lawyers"

I don't have a good answer for that

Jaq
08-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Two words:

Edible.

Warmers.

You'll thank me later.

Jgrooms
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM
A stuff sack that is just big enough to get the stuff in fast, then compress it down and back in the pocket. Takes the place of the neat fold angle. Not only compressed, the bags are slippery so easy in and out.

bingomck
08-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Arm warmers in jersey pockets, jacket/shell roll it up and stick in under your jersey in the back.

Those Pikas do look nice.

thwart
08-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Yup .... get a small Carradice bag ...

Can we see a bigger pic of that... ? ;)

Every time I see the title of this thread I think it says

"Solution for storing lawyers"

I don't have a good answer for that

Layers, lawyers... somewhere stowed under your butt works for either.

COYO1
08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
This is an easy answer for me, I always carry one empty water bottle on the frame and then stuff it with whatever layer you are shedding.

Louis
08-09-2013, 07:53 PM
This may get me in trouble, but IMO anything that's going to be removed after only, say, 1 hour, probably didn't really need to be there in the first place.

rando
08-09-2013, 08:07 PM
I got your solution right here. Carry you through wind, rain, and cold without swelling your jersey pockets.

http://www.madalchemy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/new-tea.jpg

beeatnik
08-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Err'one, he's in Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley, one of the warmest regions in Southern California. Average highs are in the low 90s and average lows are in the mid 60s in Aug.

If one needs knee warmers in this climate, um, there's probably no practical advice that can be offered as one would be an outlier in terms of temperature sensitivity. That said, the coldest winter of my life has been Aug 2013 but even then knee warmers are not necessary.

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0840?month=0

Um, ya, embro could work...

Louis
08-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Err'one, he's in Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley, one of the warmest regions in Southern California. Average highs are in the low 90s and average lows are in the mid 60s in Aug.

Didn't I once hear that in CA anything below 70* is considered cold? ;)

beeatnik
08-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Didn't I once hear that in CA anything below 70* is considered cold? ;)

Haha...yes and no.

This isn't the land of extreme temps but the land of extreme fluctuation. A few years ago we had a day with a high of 98 and a low of 52. No one layers here so imagine how your body responds to a 46 degree drop in temperature when you're only wearing a t-shirt?

vqdriver
08-10-2013, 12:02 AM
If one needs knee warmers in this climate, um, there's probably no practical advice that can be offered as one would be an outlier in terms of temperature sensitivity. .

Nah. I'm usually the most tolerant in my group as to temperature range. The shell and warmers (i didn't realize these were such extreme measures btw) are mostly for the windy mornings either in the high desert or coastal areas. You can call me whatever you want but it's freakin cold when you roll out before the sun.

I don't normally ride with warmers at all. Hence the simple question to folks who use them regularly.

And yes. My shell is exactly that. A very thin wind/water resistant shell. I am not wearing an overcoat in 60 degree weather.

vqdriver
08-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Haha...yes and no.

This isn't the land of extreme temps but the land of extreme fluctuation. A few years ago we had a day with a high of 98 and a low of 52. No one layers here so imagine how your body responds to a 46 degree drop in temperature when you're only wearing a t-shirt?

Haha. I never thought of it that way. I can agree with that.

beeatnik
08-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Nah. I'm usually the most tolerant in my group as to temperature range. The shell and warmers (i didn't realize these were such extreme measures btw) are mostly for the windy mornings either in the high desert or coastal areas. You can call me whatever you want but it's freakin cold when you roll out before the sun.

I don't normally ride with warmers at all. Hence the simple question to folks who use them regularly.

And yes. My shell is exactly that. A very thin wind/water resistant shell. I am not wearing an overcoat in 60 degree weather.

I hear ya.

I guess we all experience wind differently but it definitely chills the eff out of you even in SoCal. I was riding through South Pasadena a few nights ago trembling because I forgot my wind vest.

rain dogs
08-10-2013, 11:26 PM

This isn't meant to be self promotion, but I gave up long ago on synthetics.

I can use one, two or three layers max of wool and cover from 2 degrees C to 35 degrees C (36F to 95F).

Full zip 100% Short Sleeve merino wool jersey does most of it.

If it's cooler throw on a light merino baselayer, and if you get warm and don't want to stop unzip the jersey. When you layer wool it is amazing how much warmer the two layers are than one. That's all you need. If you're really cold get some Merino arm warmers/leg warmers. Shoulder seasons layer the wool track jacket and you're good down to near freezing.

and wear a cycling cap. It'll hold in a lot of warmth in your head. Unless it's pouring rain you don't need a shell, the wool can handle rain and you'll stay warm, but most like the shell in heavy rain.

I've done multiple 3000km trips in Europe with only those pieces and they all stow in the pockets. From hot to cold, from seaside to mountain tops, from sunny to rain.

Birddog
08-11-2013, 06:16 AM
I use these. I always have one strapped to my saddlebag.
http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120502/ball_bungee_cord.jpg