PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Viable Home Gym/Bike Room

MattTuck
08-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Would like to get your ideas on what the bare minimum (while still being effective) home gym/bike room would be.

For the moment, let's assume you don't have to worry about bike storage/work area.

I'm thinking you'd need basically three areas.

A place for rollers or a trainer (it would be nice to have both available at the same time, but we're talking MVP here, and it isn't that hard to swap the machine you want at the moment).

A big enough area for stretching/yoga type exercises.

A squat rack with some free weights and dumbells.

I'd think you'd want the floor covered in some rubberized type padding, and some mirrors.

I'm asking because I'm currently looking at finding a new place to live and am considering both renting and buying... if I buy, I want something I'm going to be happy with for a long time.

Louis
08-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Tangential comment: In my experience home ownership allows you to live where you like, close to the good riding areas, but it's a huge pita for maintenance, both inside and out. I'd much rather spend my time riding than pulling dandelions and other weeds.

A big plus is that you have tons of room for bike and exercise stuff. (essentially the whole house and basement if you're single as I am)

azrider
08-06-2013, 06:01 PM
We are renting townhome currently and instead of designating one of our rooms we managed to setup our garage with everything we need. I just park in driveway when in use and after my shower put the car in for the night.

We have flatscreen monitor that I plug my laptop into to run videos and laydown x large yoga mats for situps,pushups, and kettle ball workouts. I just bought some 20lb dumbells off CL and am getting some bicep, tricep, delt, back work in. THe TT bike is dedicated to trainer setup and everything is either thrown to side or put into one of the finished cabinets.

PLUS....it's typically hotbox in there and it promotes sweating and since it's in the garage we don't really care about mess we make.

food for thought

MattTuck
08-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Louis and AZ, your comments are both right on. I don't want to get into a whole thread on rent vs. buy, but these things I think about.

One of the properties on my radar to buy is a condo townhouse. It has all its own utilities, etc. It is a 2 bedroom 2.5 bathroom unit, and one of the options is a finished basement, or you can keep it unfinished and use it for storage etc.

If I got that one, I'd seriously consider having it finished with 1/2 of the basement set up with a sofa/tv and half of it set up as a rec room/workout area. I'm not sure if the two halves would be separated by a divider or just open, but it is a thought.

Also, it is both near good riding and also does not require yardwork. And since it is new construction, hopefully it would easy on the maintenance front also.

Louis
08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
I just measured off some distances and thought about this a bit, and I bet if you really wanted to crunch things down you could fit it all in 100 ft^2, preferably 150-200 ft^2. However, having said that, fitting the stuff in there and not feeling claustrophobic and cooped up in stale air are two different issues. I think I’d go nuts working out in a 10’x10’ space. Others may have no problem with that – put a flat-screen TV in front of the trainer, and off they go. Also, the height of the ceiling might play a role in how "open" things feel and how much ventilation you need.

Right now I have my rowing machine and my captain’s chair in the living room, and my roman chair in the hallway blocking the front door (I use either a side door or the garage). I have a few dumbbells scattered around the bedroom, and the yoga mat shoved into a closet also in the bedroom. My stability ball is in the storage room down in the basement, because I haven’t been using it recently.

I could probably find space for these things down in the basement, or put a few in the home office, but that’s what’s great about being single – you are your own interior decorator…

carpediemracing
08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I moved the trainer to the office because there's some semblance of air conditioning (one AC unit keep the house okay and finished basement has no AC).

The desk chair goes over the front wheel star holder thing (the leveling thing), the trainer is behind. I move the chair when I ride. I watch clips/movies on the laptop or external monitor, play music through earbuds if I'm home alone (else just movie because I need to be able to hear Junior if he cries).

The area is probably just over 3 feet wide, maybe 6 feet long (the front tire just clears the desk - if I slid the bike forward an inch the front tire would wedge into the desk). I keep a couple dumbbells nearby (2x10lbs plus bar on each dumbbell), push up bars.

The bike/trainer and the dumbbells are in gated rooms - Junior can't get to them (he's 16 months old).

Crunches/situps in the living room when I'm hanging out with Junior (he thinks me doing crunches is hilarious, which it probably is).

The basement is a bit nicer in terms of room etc but it's not ideal. I have to make two 180 degree turns in hallways (aka tire marks on the walls), go up and down a set of stairs each, go through 4 doors, keep the cats from getting into the bike room, and on top of that it's a bit warm in the summer, especially when it was 95-100 degrees out. Now, in the 70s outside, it should be okay. I have no weights, used to have them but realized they didn't help me much so I gave some away, sold the expensive stuff.

In the bike room I have a spin bike (Schwinn DX900 with BMX 3 piece cranks, Turbo saddle), motion rollers, track bike, my extra cycling clothing (a few totes), stack of race DVDs, CRT TV, DVD player, etc. I'll be back down there regularly when the weather gets chilly.

EDS
08-06-2013, 07:58 PM
1. Space for roller/trainer set-up
2. Electrical outlet for fan + electronics
3. Window/door for ventilation
4. Pull-up and dip station
5. Couple of dumbells
6. Yoga mat
7. Space for above

avalonracing
08-06-2013, 08:06 PM
4. Pull-up and dip station
5. Couple of dumbells

I find a pull up and dip rack (a combo rack is fine) is preferable to a squat rack. You are a cyclist, do your squats up steep hills. Likewise a few dumbells will do fine, you don't need 20 different DBs.

xeladragon
08-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I have a 8x10' area matted in my garage (3/4" rubber) and this combo squat rack and pull-up bar...

http://www.roguefitness.com/s2-squat-stand.php

I also have one of those door-mounted pull-up bars... works fine.

Dumbbells are nice but, honestly, I use my kettlebells way more.

And I'll disagree with anyone who recommends a dip station over a squat rack and barbell. Squats and deadlifts are two of the best exercises you can do. I like doing cleans too.

MattTuck
08-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Squats and deadlifts are two of the best exercises you can do. I like doing cleans too.

When I do squats, I'm not usually doing huge amounts of weight... so this could be a stupid question. Could you do squats without a rack? I mean, just lift it up like a deadlift, clean it, and get it on your shoulders?

Having the rack is obviously nice, you can do heavier weights and focus on squat technique a bit easier, and you can do things like pull ups, and an inverted row... but if you're just doing mid weight squats, you could probably get away without the rack.

false_Aest
08-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Min. amt of things you need.

Mats/padding
Bench
Dumbbells.
2 plyo boxes.

With that you can do upper body (e.g. chest, shoulders, lats) and do legs (bulgarian split squats, goblet squats, single leg dead lifts, box squats).

While a squat rack isn't necessary, it's nice. But I warn you, using a cheap squat rack sucks. Really sucks! The cheaper ones don't have the best safety bars and can sway when you load/unload weight. The last thing you want is 250lbs on your back and to doubt the strength of your rack . . .

xeladragon
08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
When I do squats, I'm not usually doing huge amounts of weight... so this could be a stupid question. Could you do squats without a rack? I mean, just lift it up like a deadlift, clean it, and get it on your shoulders?

Having the rack is obviously nice, you can do heavier weights and focus on squat technique a bit easier, and you can do things like pull ups, and an inverted row... but if you're just doing mid weight squats, you could probably get away without the rack.

One nice thing about the Rogue S-2 is that you can do dips, inverted rows, and a bunch of other stuff just by hanging a pair of rings from the pull-up bar. Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you can do squats without a rack if you keep the weight reasonably low and don't push yourself too hard. But what do you do when you fatigue a little sooner than expected, and you have a barbell behind your neck, and don't have enough strength left to pop the bar up and over your head before lowering it to the ground? I guess you could just drop the bar (if you have bumper plates), but your neighbors might not appreciate the noise. Re-racking the bar is much, much easier and safer if you have the money and space for one. Also, when it comes to building muscle, how many reps you do and how much weight you do will either help build muscle endurance, power, and strength. If you never try heavier weight, then you're neglecting strength, which IMO is silly from a general fitness POV.

xeladragon
08-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Min. amt of things you need.

Mats/padding
Bench
Dumbbells.
2 plyo boxes.

With that you can do upper body (e.g. chest, shoulders, lats) and do legs (bulgarian split squats, goblet squats, single leg dead lifts, box squats).

While a squat rack isn't necessary, it's nice. But I warn you, using a cheap squat rack sucks. Really sucks! The cheaper ones don't have the best safety bars and can sway when you load/unload weight. The last thing you want is 250lbs on your back and to doubt the strength of your rack . . .

Agreed with most of what f_A said... I dunno about needing a bench though. The bench press is an overrated exercise IMO. I guess the NFL combine uses it as a measure for upper body strength, but in terms of practical strength, the incline press is much more functional/useful as it taxes your shoulders more. I prefer regular old push-ups, dips, and shoulder press for building "pushing" strength (as opposed to rows and pull-ups which are pulling movements).

Louis
08-06-2013, 10:51 PM
You can fight gravity lifting just your body in some very interesting ways:

http://www.powertecfitness.com/images/Product/large/28.jpg

zap
08-07-2013, 09:21 AM
We have about a quarter of our basement dedicated as a workout area.

Room for free weights and rack, Computrainer, Concept rower and room for yoga/pilates. If I needed to reduce space, I would keep the rack/weights and Computrainer.

Flooring should be 3/4" rubber mat/tiles.

Strong rack for squats is a must. Not unusual for fast cyclists to be squatting (free weights) 300+lbs.

MattTuck
08-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Strong rack for squats is a must. Not unusual for fast cyclists to be squatting (free weights) 300+lbs.

I don't doubt you on this at all, just curious if you have a source for what a rider like Cancellara or Tony Martin or Hoogerland can squat... would be interesting for sure.

fiamme red
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I find a pull up and dip rack (a combo rack is fine) is preferable to a squat rack.You can all three together with an IronMind unit.

http://www.ironmind-store.com/IronMind-SDC-Center-Squat-Dip-Chin/productinfo/1450-SDC/

http://www.ironmind-store.com/NEW-ALight-Training-Center/productinfo/1480/

Not cheap, but very well made.

dekindy
08-07-2013, 06:33 PM
A mat, bicycle trainer and a TRX would work if you do.

zap
08-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I don't doubt you on this at all, just curious if you have a source for what a rider like Cancellara or Tony Martin or Hoogerland can squat... would be interesting for sure.

Nope.

#campyuserftw
08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
TV screen on the wall
Bike trainer/rollers
Old TdF and Spring Classics on DVD
Good sound system
Large Physioball for core
Jump Rope for cardio, sweat, and calf/leg work
Wall to do wall squats on
Flat bench to do single-legged step-ups (squats)
Dumbbells to add into the above leg work as you progress
Dumbbells to use for single-arm flat benching (better than a straight flat bar for a cyclist whose mid-spine and neck don't need any more flat benching).
Dumbbells for upright rows (cyclists spines need the work)
Push-ups on clean floor (for core stability)
Sit-ups on clean floor
Other than a bike and a trainer, which you most likely already have, a $15.00 jump rope, $15.00 Physioball, a $100.00 flat bench, $75.00 in dumbbells, $15.00 for a mat.
Gravity and sweat are free :)

false_Aest
08-07-2013, 09:57 PM

Chris Hoy was squatting around 227kg IIRC. That's 500 'merican pounds.
I've heard that Levi box squats around 400lbs. Hard to believe for that skinny mofo.

Cat3 False_A squats and deadlifts 275x5. Dunno what my max is.

And, recent research suggests that low reps/heavy weight is better for squats/deadlift when it comes to cycling.

Louis
08-07-2013, 10:00 PM
a TRX would work if you do.

I've thought of doing this in winter, but haven't figured out a good way to hang it in the house without major structural mods to the walls or ceiling.

I suppose I could connect it to one of the floor joists in the basement, but I really don't want to be doing any workouts down, there if I can avoid it.

Any good suggestions?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWwzvBT8d03VT1ArDyOhqsscBbEEZBQ zQlPxUn2JNziA4rEuRU

http://letseatgrandpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/nimble-trx-yoga-588x300.jpg

Anarchist
08-07-2013, 10:04 PM
TV screen on the wall
Bike trainer/rollers
Old TdF and Spring Classics on DVD
Good sound system
Large Physioball for core
Jump Rope for cardio, sweat, and calf/leg work
Wall to do wall squats on
Flat bench to do single-legged step-ups (squats)
Dumbbells to add into the above leg work as you progress
Dumbbells to use for single-arm flat benching (better than a straight flat bar for a cyclist whose mid-spine and neck don't need any more flat benching).
Dumbbells for upright rows (cyclists spines need the work)
Push-ups on clean floor (for core stability)
Sit-ups on clean floor
Other than a bike and a trainer, which you most likely already have, a $15.00 jump rope, $15.00 Physioball, a $100.00 flat bench, $75.00 in dumbbells, $15.00 for a mat.
Gravity and sweat are free :)

By far the best and most reasonable answer, someone actually understands.

false_Aest
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
The bench press is an overrated exercise IMO. .....but in terms of practical strength, the incline press is much more functional/useful as it taxes your shoulders more.

I agree with what you're saying. I guess when I think of at-home bench I think of one that allows me to do flat and incline.

I also stay away from straight-bar stuff and opt for flye movements to build chest.

Also, think working on my shoulder girdle has helped my out-of-saddle climbing significantly. Also helped me move from a small t-shirt to a medium... something that the significant other appreciates.

Anarchist
08-07-2013, 10:44 PM
I've thought of doing this in winter, but haven't figured out a good way to hang it in the house without major structural mods to the walls or ceiling.

I suppose I could connect it to one of the floor joists in the basement, but I really don't want to be doing any workouts down, there if I can avoid it.

Any good suggestions?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWwzvBT8d03VT1ArDyOhqsscBbEEZBQ zQlPxUn2JNziA4rEuRU

http://letseatgrandpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/nimble-trx-yoga-588x300.jpg

I hang it out of a Maple tree in the backyard, even in winter. When there is snow on the ground you worK harder and faster.

xeladragon
08-07-2013, 10:53 PM

Any good suggestions?

The TRX comes with a door mount (or at least mine did). No need to bolt it to the wall or ceiling.

Louis
08-07-2013, 11:06 PM
I hang it out of a Maple tree in the backyard, even in winter. When there is snow on the ground you worK harder and faster.

I'm not enough of a hard-man for that. I'm more likely to do it if it's inside. (Does the fact that I keep my house at 58*-59* in the winter give me any cred? ;) ) I saw a pic somewhere of some Army guy in Iraq or Afghanistan (I think) who hung it from the barrel of a tank. That was pretty impressive.

The TRX comes with a door mount (or at least mine did). No need to bolt it to the wall or ceiling.

Does that give you enough room to do stuff? The doorway doesn't get in the way? (I don't know a whole lot about it.)

OK, here's the pic:

http://personaltrainerdublin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/trx-army-tank1.jpg?w=324&h=244

xeladragon
08-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Does that give you enough room to do stuff? The doorway doesn't get in the way? (I don't know a whole lot about it.)

FWIW, I have a TRX so I'm speaking from personal experience. The door mount is sufficient. Just make sure that you have approx. an 8x8' open area in front of the door so you can do some of the exercises that require lateral movements (e.g., TRX skaters).

gavingould
08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
i've been doing some small group training (5 people) - the guy teaching has a small studio space and little equipment. you don't need a lot of stuff; improvise!

rubber/yoga mats
kettlebells
resistance bands
physio ball
box (for step-ups)
foam rollers
big heavy rope

we do kettlebell swings and goblet squats, one-leg step-ups, lunges, a lot of core work and pushup variations on the mats and physio ball, resistance band stuff for shoulders/upper back, calf raises you can do anywhere...
foam roll it out afterward.

we occasionally do pull ups on a rack and hit a rowing machine, but it's the core and upper body stuff (90% just using body weight) that is making a big difference for most who train here.

the guy is a competitive racer and designs his programs for competitive racers - i think that's the key. he knows what areas are likely to be weak and how improving strength/endurance in those areas can help on-bike performance.

plus just looking at the guy, he's mid-to-late-40's and ripped from head to toe. not skinny, not weak, but not big muscles either. just extremely fit, which i'm aspiring to, but have many years of hard work to reach that level.

firerescuefin
08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
This plus a TRX is exactly what I do. I love getting some of my guys doing stuff like this as it really opens their eyes on numerous levels. As someone who used to be a gym rat and a squat/dead lift guy...I prefer the below for a number of reasons. A lot of professional teams won't let/don't want their guys squat do to the shear force it places on the back.

i've been doing some small group training (5 people) - the guy teaching has a small studio space and little equipment. you don't need a lot of stuff; improvise!

rubber/yoga mats
kettlebells
resistance bands
physio ball
box (for step-ups)
foam rollers
big heavy rope

we do kettlebell swings and goblet squats, one-leg step-ups, lunges, a lot of core work and pushup variations on the mats and physio ball, resistance band stuff for shoulders/upper back, calf raises you can do anywhere...
foam roll it out afterward.

we occasionally do pull ups on a rack and hit a rowing machine, but it's the core and upper body stuff (90% just using body weight) that is making a big difference for most who train here.

the guy is a competitive racer and designs his programs for competitive racers - i think that's the key. he knows what areas are likely to be weak and how improving strength/endurance in those areas can help on-bike performance.

plus just looking at the guy, he's mid-to-late-40's and ripped from head to toe. not skinny, not weak, but not big muscles either. just extremely fit, which i'm aspiring to, but have many years of hard work to reach that level.