PDA

View Full Version : Eurus? Neutron?

Fiertetimestwo
08-05-2013, 08:09 PM
My trusty old Mavic Cosmos wheels will not last too much longer, so I am looking around at new wheels (clinchers).

Which would be a better choice for a heavyweight (200lbs plus) rider who "enjoys" hilly rides, albeit at a most gentlemanly pace?

I have heard plenty of good things about both Eurus G3 wheels and Neutrons. Am I too heavy for Netrons?

Wiggle seem to have great deals for both on last year's models.

I don't really have access to a great wheelbuilder, so I am looking at pre-builts.

fa63
08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I fall into the heavyweight category, and have been happily riding the Campy Zonda wheels for over two years now. I imagine you will be fine on the Eurus or the Neutron.

thirdgenbird
08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm 180lbs and the older steel spoked eurus wheels are my favorite I've been on. I've heard the newer ones are lighter and stiffer. Sounds good to me.

chiteach78
08-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I too am at about 180 and on the steel spoked Euruses which have been absolutely bombproof even on crap roads.

gngroup
08-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I have a set for sale in the classifieds. Eurus G3 clincher's in excellent condition - probably less than 1,500 miles total.

rustychisel
08-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Eurus.

I'll even take the Cosmos off your hands

Bobbo
08-05-2013, 10:48 PM
either. both great wheels. eurus is stiffer, neutrons ride nicer. your weight won't be an issue.

Fiertetimestwo
08-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Eurus.

I'll even take the Cosmos off your hands

Some of the eyelets on the rear wheel are starting to pull through- that's why they won't stay perfectly true any more, and it explains the noises that you and I both hear when we are out riding...The front wheel is pretty good though.

VTCaraco
08-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm similarly sized and just-missed the Eurus model that CC was blowing out two years ago. The option of going with Echelon_John with a set of handu=-built was my second choice.
I had/have a set of Zondas and ended up picking up a set of Neutrons. While out on a ride, I had a distinct TING and then my wife (who was riding with me) mentioned my wheel "didn't look right". Turned out I had damaged a handful of drive-side spokes with a chain slip. It was frustrating and expensive to get new spokes and, truth be told, John's wheels simply feel more confident.
He's local to me (well, local in VT terms), but he really excels at building wheels for the bigger guys.
I understand the allure of the Campy pre-built wheels, but I'm sold on what Old Potato has been preaching that handbuilt wheels are the way to go. And my go-to builder is and will be John.

Fiertetimestwo
08-06-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a set for sale in the classifieds. Eurus G3 clincher's in excellent condition - probably less than 1,500 miles total.

Thanks for the offer- but the shipping from San Francisco to Australia would likely be prohibitive!

johnmdesigner
08-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Eurus from Wiggle.
Buy 3 replacement spokes (Total Cycling had these for a reasonable price).
Ride em. Never had a spoke break or go out of true in 5 years.

biker72
08-06-2013, 11:22 AM
I fall into the heavyweight category, and have been happily riding the Campy Zonda wheels for over two years now. I imagine you will be fine on the Eurus or the Neutron.

I'm almost a heavyweight with close to 2 years on a set of Campy Zondas.

gngroup
08-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the offer- but the shipping from San Francisco to Australia would likely be prohibitive!

Good point! Find a set locally - you will be very pleased!!!