PDA

View Full Version : kickstand

flydhest
08-04-2013, 12:33 PM
yes, fredly, perhaps, but not as fredly as forgoing potentially helpful/functional gear because you think you're too cool.

here's my situation. my daughter is now 2-1/2 and loves being on the bike seat behind me. the seat makes it a bit more awkward to lean the bike and the weight of it makes it less stable. I sometimes worry about it rolling or falling as I am picking her up or strapping her in.

would a kickstand help and which should I consider?

EricEstlund
08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
The double legged Pletscher kickstand. It provides support in both directions.

Aaron O
08-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I actually have an extra of the pletscher double if you're interested - never used.

scrubadub
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I highly recommend the Ursus kickstand. I put one on my kid bike (Bobike child seat in front plus a Chariot trailer) and found that loading kids and cargo is much easier and safer.

I got mine from Ahearne Cycles <http://www.ahearnecycles.com/ursus-center-stand/>.

Ken Robb
08-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I agree that a double-legged stand is the answer. I have a single-leg on my Allrounder and it works ok but I'd want more stability to support a wiggly kid.

jbl
08-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I used the Pletscher for quite a while on my city bike. It didn't work quite as well as I had hoped when loading groceries in panniers on the back. It doesn't stand wide enough to carelessly load unbalanced cargo.

That said, it should work fine putting a kid in a seat as, presumably, the kid is centered.

I have a used (cut down) Pletscher that I'd be willing to let go of for cheap (might be a bear to ship, though. It's a heavy sucker).

Louis
08-04-2013, 02:14 PM
yes, fredly, perhaps, but not as fredly as forgoing potentially helpful/functional gear because you think you're too cool.

Gee, I wonder if this could apply to any other components in the cycling world?

Aaron O
08-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Gee, I wonder if this could apply to any other components in the cycling world?

Not at all (says the guy who fastidiously removed reflectors from all of his bikes).

bewheels
08-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Not really the answer you are looking for, but kid trailers work really well and do not have this issue and tend to be pretty safe...they do not tip over.

flydhest
08-05-2013, 07:29 AM
brewheels, I have one. she likes it, but less. plus, it is not as convenient for running errands around town or for getting in and out of the basement.

Aaron, I will pm you.