PDA

View Full Version : Tour of CA sufferfest - Palm Springs stage

54ny77
08-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Check out the finish--riders just about passing out at the line. Brutal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57lft6kMXE&feature=player_embedded#at=141

tv_vt
08-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Cross the line and... done. No mas, for sure.

tiretrax
08-04-2013, 10:13 PM
One rider got a bad burn when he lay down on the pavement. It was painful to watch. I have a lot of respect for the peleton - they rode over 100 miles and a lot through 116 degree heat. I hate riding in 90-100 degree heat June-September.

Jaq
08-05-2013, 12:01 AM
That tram road is a mo-fo, too. Dunno what the gradient is (too lazy to look it up), but it's steep.

bloody sunday
08-05-2013, 04:18 PM
yeah, that's insane. I guess this is what every day in the summer is like in Texas :o

Highpowernut
08-05-2013, 05:08 PM
I think you can get used to the heat. I thought Is hate the AZ summer. But as long as I bring water it's not bad.

tiretrax
08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
yeah, that's insane. I guess this is what every day in the summer is like in Texas :o

Fortunately, when it goes over 100, the humidity dips. Nothing like starting a ride on a summer morn - 80 and humid. I am covered in sweat by the time I complete the first turn of my crank.

firerescuefin
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Yet your not riding large portions of it at threshold for 5 hours plus. Big difference.

bewheels
08-05-2013, 06:50 PM
This may seem like a silly question...but why is the finishline on an incline at the end of a stage like this? I will assume it is because there is absolutely no run out at the top of this climb. Because otherwise it would seem like a really silly way to plan the course...

wasfast
08-06-2013, 06:13 AM
The heat wave was unusual for that time of year. I live near Escondido and volunteered for Stage 1. It was 20F above normal.

Ironically, ToC was moved from Feb to May to allow some additional mountain stages yet last year in Lake Tahoe it was snowing. This year, record temperatures for Stages 1 and 2. Can't buy a break.

The impact of the Stage 2 final gradient is reflected in the time losses. Some riders lost 35 minutes just on that stage. Considering that the peloton was all together when they made the turn in Palm Springs onto the tram road (just 5 miles from the finishline), that's staggering amounts of implosion.

regularguy412
08-06-2013, 09:13 PM
The heat wave was unusual for that time of year. I live near Escondido and volunteered for Stage 1. It was 20F above normal.

Ironically, ToC was moved from Feb to May to allow some additional mountain stages yet last year in Lake Tahoe it was snowing. This year, record temperatures for Stages 1 and 2. Can't buy a break.

The impact of the Stage 2 final gradient is reflected in the time losses. Some riders lost 35 minutes just on that stage. Considering that the peloton was all together when they made the turn in Palm Springs onto the tram road (just 5 miles from the finishline), that's staggering amounts of implosion.

Often, it's not how fast you ride UP the climb, but how fast you ride just getting TO the climb. Staying in position in the group can really take its toll in heat like that. The climb just adds insult to injury.

Mike in AR:beer:

Louis
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
That's no big deal - I look like that at the end of all of my rides... :p

false_Aest
08-06-2013, 10:37 PM
When I first moved out to SoCal I did a few crits in Ontario. Race times were always around 2pm and the temps were 100-112*F.

I had ice packs in my arm pits during the warm-up, started the races with jersey pockets full of ice and literally shoved ice down my bibs for 1 race.

More than a few riders were carted off to the hospital. That's for a 30-60 min crit. I cannot imagine doing this for 5 hours!!!!!

Seems like a bit much even for a pro.

JEMM
08-07-2013, 09:16 AM
wow finish line has gradient of least 20% tough finish. :D