PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost question

hybridbellbaske
12-15-2003, 06:16 PM
How compact does a compact frame need to be before it is necessary to go to longer seatpost?

I know that with a bit of clear thought I should be able to work this out by myself...but with the collective brain power on display here why think for myself?

Specifically I am looking at an Easton EC70 as an upgrade( read Christmas present) for my current (level top tube) 57.5 c-c seat tube frame. The shorter post will no doubt be adequate for this purpose, but soon I want to get either DBRK's Strong ti (if it be still available) or a Fierte ti 58, both of which have 52 cm real seat tube measurements. Should I go for the longer 350mm seat post if I want to use it on my potential future frame?

Smiley
12-15-2003, 06:30 PM
A six degree slope is about 6 cm so to be safe I'd go with the longer version EC 70 and cut it down if your freaked out about the weight of the extra insertion length.

victoryfactory
12-16-2003, 07:26 AM
I went from a level top tube to a 5 degree slope on my new frame. I'm using the same post (easton CT2) with no problem.
Smiley is right, it depends on how much post was exposed on your old setup. If you were near the max before, you may need a longer one on the sloping frame.
VF

dbrk
12-16-2003, 09:11 AM
I like compacts particularly for sizing up options, meaning that you can ride a taller front end frame and get all the benefits of a smaller frame (not that many, mind you...and it's not weight but, say, turning and overall lithe-ness, as it were). My Seven Axiom has 6d of slope, the Strong Ti has either 5 or 6d, I can't recall. But on the Seven the headtube is much longer, it is a virtual 61cm. Perfect, without a ht extension. I show about 3cm more post on the compact and use the "short" post. So it depends on saddle height and size. My guess is that if hybridbellbasket were riding my Strong he would not need a longer post but would manage with a normal 250mm road post. Hmmm.
With a 350mm mtn style post I'm burying a lot of post.

finally a thread WITHOUT BananaGuy, (okay, go ahead flydhest, make yer day...),

dbrk
smiles free as a matter of principle (a weak, futile, pointless protest, much the way I feel about my resistance to, say, the current Administration's ideas about most everything...)