PDA

View Full Version : c5 pinched nerve=numb bicep to thumb

eddief
12-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I've been dealing with this bit of tingling and numbness off and on for about six months. Supposedly bone spur around the c5 vertebrae. No pain, no loss of strength. Just intermittant, any time tingling.

My guess is that cycling ain't helping much. Doc said to try pregnisone first, then some other drug, then maybe direct shot of cortisone, and last resort real surgery.

Anyone have experience with this and any input on fixing it. Ah, middle age is going to be wonderful.

Smiley
12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
I worked with my Chropracter on a pinched nerve that I got this past summer. I could not squeeze a tube of tooth paste with my left hand , plus I had the tingling sensation too boot . My advice is stay away from drugs and go see a good chiropracter IF an MRI does not show a bone spur, if you got a bone spur then my guess is it won't get better without surgery. I have felt some of your pain. Best of luck.

jcmuellner
12-23-2005, 06:41 PM
In November 2004 I woke up one day with incredible numbness and pain in my entire right arm and shoulder. Thinking I had just done something odd, I thought I'd just wait it out and see if maybe it was just a muscle issue or nerve inch. It got progressively worse to the point where I could hold nothing in my right hand and trying to ride even a foot or two brought me to me knees in pain.

After a few weeks of doctor visits, chiropractors, massage therapists and an increasingly inability to sleep (maybe two hours at a time leaning over a chair with my right arm extended across it) I was ready to give up. The constant pain was affecting everything. After muscle relaxant drugs, topical lotions and the rest, I finally went to a local physical therapist.

Within a half hour he said "you have a herniated disk in your C6-7 region. Get a MRI and see the spine docs in Seattle". I did and he was dead on, plus there were some bone spurs. They recommended physical therapy, no drugs, no surgery and constant stretching and massage. The physical therapist even went over my position on the bike (which was actually pretty good as I am a randonneur and have level bars and saddle heights).

It took about three months with physical therapy 2 times a week and finally I was able to ride again. By May of 2005 I was back to riding over 50-100 mile days and rode through the late season brevets to the 300km. Lots of rides since and will do another series and more in 2006.

I've had one lapse since, when I was riding off-road and lifting and generally doing too much. Lots of stretching and ibuprofen has relieved it. My biggest problems are general posture (plus working in front of a damn computer) and sticking to a daily stretching and strength routine, though I am getting better at realizing what the cost is if I stop.

You should get a good MRI (some are not that good) so someone reputable can give you a decent recommendation. I was lucky to have a local physical therapist who knows a great deal.

You will survive!

92degrees
12-23-2005, 07:04 PM
A year ago August I ruptured the discs between C5-6 and C6-7. I had pain and numbness from my left shoulder to hand and no muscle response in my left tricep. If I put my left hand over my head it would simply fall and hit me. I had the MRI and consulted with two neurosurgeons several times. They both agreed that it was best to wait 6 months and see what happened. The left side of my chest started to atrophy from lack of use and because I was "protecting that side" from pain.

Looking back, there was gradual improvement after a few weeks and I made progress pretty quickly -- but there were lots of setbacks and nights of terror worried that I would never be "right" again. I was riding a bike again in 4-5 weeks. I was back lifting weights around that time too.

It took about 9 months until I felt 95% most of the time. I still have a bad day now and then but I do not hesitate to do anything "normal." I still have numbness in my left hand, especially my index finger.

I'm sorry you're going through this...it sucks. Be patient and I hope you heal quickly!

RichMc
12-23-2005, 07:57 PM
I had this same numbness in my right arm. It would go from a tingle at times to an ache other times. Would come and go with no rhyme or reason. One of the guys at work recommended his chiropractor. Never went to one in my life but I'm glad I did. Worked out great for me. Sounds like you've got a slightly pinched radial nerve.

Gothard
12-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi, Radiologist speaking here.
You gotta be *nuts* to try and wait it out.
Simplest of the bad things, your nerve gets squished beyond normal function by a hernia or a spur.
Worst of the bad things, whatever tumoral process (benign or not) grows quietly while you take painkillers or worse, corticoids to lull yourself into false security.

Get professional help and get a clear diagnosis. Don't let anyone massage whatever you have until you know exactly what is going on. A chiropractor, masseur or whoever can do wonders indeed, provided they work on something that responds to their craft. Until that, a DOCTOR, then a RADIOLOGIST are your best friends.

BarryG
12-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Eddie,

I agree pretty much with what Gothard said. I had bad herniations of the C5/6 and C6/7 discs a few years ago and went the whole route including minimally invasive surgery.

I would however strongly recommend that the first step you take is to find a good neurologist to function as the primary physician. The neurologist will do a thorough exam and order all necessary tests (MRI, EMG, etc) and discuss the results and treatment options with you. It's important to get a precise diagnosis first.

Barry

Too Tall
12-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Eddie, I agree with that the others said. You need xrays and a confirmed diagnosis. It is not something to guess or suppose.

pale scotsman
12-28-2005, 07:55 PM
This is kind of late but I've got access to tons of free medical @ work and my favorite rad says 50% of back problems correct themselves over time. She and an anesthiologist, who ruptured a couple disks in the army, recommended this exercise for me after a scare this summer. Heck, go to a chiropractor and see what they do after simple x-rays. Mine tried to cut me in half with an "adjustment".

http://www.spine-health.com/images/sciex/SCIA02.jpg

It may be hard to do at first but I swear it helps.

sirroada
12-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Chiropractor here. I agree with what everyone above has said. You have something in your neck that is compressing a nerve. Could be a posterior or lateral bone spur (anterior bone spurs usually do not cause neurological deficits), could be a herniated disc, could be something else entirely. The good news about doctors of chiropractic is that we are able to assess you orthopedically and neurologically. First step would be to perform a chiropractic, neurologic, and orthopedic exam. This will help determine what spinal level is involved and if you need x-rays. Based on what you are saying you do. Based on what the x-rays show I would probably order an MRI as well. I treat conditions like yours on a daily basis with quite a bit of success. As such, I always recommend a course of conservative care (chiropractic) prior to drugs or surgery. Drugs only cover up the problem and surgery is a one way street, once you go in there and start changing things around you can't just put it back if you don't like the results. However, sometimes surgery is the only option. See a doctor of chiropractic, get the x-rays and possibly the MRI. If you want a second opinion, have your chiropractor send the x-rays and MRI to a radiologist. If you have any specific questions feel free to personal message me, I would be happy to spend some time helping you.

lithiapark
12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=eddief]I've been dealing with this bit of tingling and numbness off and on for about six months. Supposedly bone spur around the c5 vertebrae. No pain, no loss of strength. Just intermittant, any time tingling.

After six months of this it is time to get a specific Dx. MRI is the gold standard. X-rays alone won't cut it; they MAY be helpful after the MRI. Further waiting or any intervention should be chosen when you know as clearly as possible what is going on. Make sure your physician provides enough information (the nature and locatioon of your symptoms) to the MRI facility so the Radiologist can give you the best reading possible. The odds are with you that surgery will not be needed, but save your betting for lottery. The only other advice I can give you is tell you I do know enough to know that I don't know enough about you to give you any other advice.