PDA

View Full Version : Road Pedal Suggestion

pjmsj21
08-03-2013, 04:00 PM
I am changing shoes from a four bolt shoe and Speedplay Zero's that were great for the four bolt shoe that I owned. But I would like to avoid using the adopter that looks like it adds a significant amount of stack height and just go with a three bolt design. I generally liked the Zero's as they have a lot or can have a lot of float.

Any suggestions for a three bolt pedal with a generous amount of float?

Highpowernut
08-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Just in case you wanted to keep your speedplay,
I'm using the northwave with speedplay adaptor lower stack height than just about anything. Northwave extreme shoes

pbarry
08-03-2013, 05:03 PM
If you use Speedplays for a serious bio-mechanical issue, then the Northwave adapter sounds like a good solution. If not, Keos with red cleats give you 9 degrees of float. Set up right, it's more than enough.

pjmsj21
08-03-2013, 05:07 PM
I am moving to a Specialized shoe because it is the best (that I can find) fit for me. I am really trying to select the best fitting shoe and be flexible on what pedal system.

Pinky
08-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Generous is rather...open. A standard spd-sl or time (or look) is generally good for most unless you've got some exciting things going on in your pedal stroke

cachagua
08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
You like the speedplays? Keep the speedplays! Wedge under the front and back of the cleats and put them on any shoe you like. The shoes don't have 4 holes? Drill 'em and put in #6 tee nuts from the inside.

The shoe doesn't live that you can't speedplay, with no adaptor and no spacer. Put the pedal right against the shoe. I've done half a dozen different brands this way. The only exception is if the sole's flexible enough that it allows the cleat to bend, and that's not a shoe you want to ride in anyway.

Be prepared to lower your seatpost.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2013, 08:07 AM
I am changing shoes from a four bolt shoe and Speedplay Zero's that were great for the four bolt shoe that I owned. But I would like to avoid using the adopter that looks like it adds a significant amount of stack height and just go with a three bolt design. I generally liked the Zero's as they have a lot or can have a lot of float.

Any suggestions for a three bolt pedal with a generous amount of float?

I would't say that 1-3mm is 'significant', IMHO. No 3 bolt pedal has the float of Zeros..7.5 degrees each direction, total of 15 degrees.
For the gent right above? I'm not sure I would start drilling holes and such, just to not use a 1-3mm adapter.

Pyramor
08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Have to agree with op. Even with the adapter you won't find pedals with a lower stack height or as much float. No reason to change unless you just want to experiment with something new. I have both 3 and 4 bolt shoes and have not noticed any appreciable difference in pedal interface.

slidey
08-04-2013, 12:15 PM
As a few have already indicated, if you know your feet like the Speedplay Zero's, then stick to them. For what its worth, I have been using Specialized shoes with Speedplay Zero's for a couple of years; of course with the adapter. Just raise your seatpost to compensate for the increase in height.

oldguy00
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I would't say that 1-3mm is 'significant', IMHO. No 3 bolt pedal has the float of Zeros..7.5 degrees each direction, total of 15 degrees.
For the gent right above? I'm not sure I would start drilling holes and such, just to not use a 1-3mm adapter.

This.
I used s-works shoes with sp zeros, work great!

shovelhd
08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't understand the obsession with stack height. Who cares.

saab2000
08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't understand the obsession with stack height. Who cares.

I've been a stack height fanatic for years but I don't really know the numbers.....

I was a convert to Times early on, around 1989. Then switched back to clips and straps until I got the Time shoes which, with the pedals, lowered everything a lot. It is supposed to be more efficient to have the ball of the foot closer to the center of the axis of rotation. Makes some sense to me though I can't really explain why.

There have been numerous pedals over the years that have tried to get the foot in line with the center of the pedal axle and one of the first was Shimano's Dura Ace AX line in the early '80s.

None ever really caught on.

I now use Shimano D/A SPD-SL road pedals with Sidi Ergo 2 shoes. I have no idea what the stack height numbers are. I just ride and they feel right. I know they're pretty competitive as the soles are way thinner than they used to be and the pedals and cleats are not thick.

pjmsj21
08-04-2013, 10:46 PM
OK...you have me convinced to stay with the Speedplays. The other thing that I enjoy over the Zeroes is that they are two sided. As always thanks for all of the great input.

Highpowernut
08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
1697865227stack height with adapter on northwave extreme

cachagua
08-05-2013, 11:01 AM
That's an adaptor even I could love. Is it Speedplay's, or someone else's?

The reason "stack height" is important to me (to answer the question above) is twofold: it's a center-of-gravity issue, yes a spacer here and there won't give you more than a centimeter but that's enough to feel in the bike's handling. And the second reason, for me, is I habitually ride the smallest frame I can possibly get away with, so I want to take every measure I can to poke the seatpost in further.

So these are things that not everybody will care about. But for those that do, there's ways to handle the problem.

Highpowernut
08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
It's a northwave extreme triathlon shoe, with the northwave speedplay adaptor.

They make a road version also, I bought mine online. Happy with purchase so far
Actually it's total stack is very low.

Another photo of shoe .