PDA

View Full Version : 2002 sierra nevada/kodak fierte

swalburn
12-23-2005, 02:41 PM
I was previously on this forum with questions about the fierte about 3 months ago. I am getting close to buying a new bike and my dealer has what he says is a 2002 fierte with a sierra nevada/ kodak paint job. The fork is even painted and it is Reynolds ouzo pro. The frame is brand new he says and was part of some promo years ago. He is offering to sell the frame and fork to me for 1700. The frame is beautiful, but I don't know if it is even a fierte. It doesn't say anything about the name of the frame anywhere on it. I am just curious if anyone has seen the frame. This price is considerable cheaper than buying an 05 fierte and fork. Anyways I'm just looking for opinions and insight. I was almost dead set on getting an onix at about the same price, but now I'm looking at the serotta. Like I said though, the bike doesn't have the name on it. It clearly says serotta and has decals for other manufactuers, but not much else.

Sandy
12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Is it titanium, steel, or a mix of titianium and carbon fiber? That would make a large difference in the price of the bike, especially if it were steel. You could get a new Fierte steel frame, with a Ouzo Pro fork for less than $1700.

Does the bike fit you?

Sandy

rodenmg
12-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Look at the underside of the bottom bracket. The serial # should be something starting with FT size ####. T= Ti I'm assuming this would be different for steel.

davids
12-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Sandy's correct. If it's a Ti frame, $1700 would be a very nice deal.

What doesn't ring true to me is the statement that this is a 2002 frame, and that this is a promo from "some years ago." The Kodak Gallery/Sierra Nevada team wasn't organized until the fall of 2004...

However this turns out, you should consider buy a Fierte. It's a great bike, a Serotta to the core.

Hopefully James or Andrew will weigh in on your question and clear this up.

Good luck!

Sandy
12-23-2005, 03:42 PM
I was wondering about the year also. The s in davids must stand for smart! :)

Sandy

malcolm
12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Looks like decent prices on the clearance page. I've bought 2 frames from him and he has been top notch. Probably not the team paint scheme though.

http://newhorizonsbikes.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=95

swalburn
12-23-2005, 06:22 PM
It is the Ti model with with curved carbon stays. I was really leaning away from serotta because I thought I was priced out, but this frame with a reynolds ouzo pro fork brand new for 1700 seems like a deal. It is my size as well. I was fit at this shop long before I even started looking for a bike, and he said if he were to recommend a bike for me, then it would be a fierte in a size 58. Im longer in the legs and a little shorter in the torso. I have a allez pro now with fsa compact crank, carbon cages, and ec90 carbon bar. I am going to swap all of this to the fierte. It is a great bike, but I'm not a racer and I looking for something that will be a little more comfy on long rides. The dealer called me when he got this frame because he new I was looking. Anyways thanks for the opinions.

davids
12-23-2005, 08:13 PM
A Ti with carbon stays would be a 2005. $1,700 2005 Ti Fierte, including fork, is a very nice deal.

I can't comment on the back-story on the paint, though...

swalburn
12-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Well, I'm even more intrigued by the frame now. I saw it with my own two eyes and it had a sierra - nevada/kodak paint scheme. It didn't say fierte anywhere on it. It had a all carbon rear end. He said he picked it up from his distributor. He told me it was some promo frame. I swore he said it was a 2002, but I may have misunderstood. He said it was the exact same as the current fiertes. It looked just like the 2005's but had a ouzo pro on it. It was brand new. Right now it is starting to look like a steal at 1700.

hybridbellbaske
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't think it could be an 02 if it has a carbon seatstay. My 03 Fierte Ti is all Ti, and I'm pretty sure that in both 04 and 05 the Fierte Ti's had the carbon stay. My guess would be that it is an 04 frame, in which case it is probably an even better deal than you were thinking.

swalburn
01-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I misunderstood what the LBS told me. It is a 05 and I picked up the frame and fork for 1700. It seemed like a pretty good deal to me. It is being built up this week and I should have it by next week. It is definitely a nice bike, and the fork is a reynolds ouzo pro. I looked at the Fierte it, but by the time I bought the fork it would have cost me another 800 bucks. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to getting the new bike.