PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 500 vs 510

Bruce K
08-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I kind of hate swapping computers from bike to bike. All the "re-pairing" or adjusting kind of annoys me. I know it's relatively easy and all, it's just one of those things.....

So I am debating getting a second Garmin. I am not interested in the big, whiz-bang 810 with the maps, etc. but I do want the all the features that my current 500 has. I am also not interested in Strava or other "sharing" programs.

So the question is, are there any other advantages, other than maybe real-time weather updates (and in New England it generally is not a big deal) that the 510 provides to make it worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance,

BK

Calnago
08-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Not to dissuade you from getting another Garmin, but why not just set up different bike profiles. Once for each bike then you're done. No further pairing required. I have one bike with an SRM and the Garmin cadence/Speed sensor calibrated for 23mm tires. Another bike has just the cadence/speed sensor and 25mm tires. And another bike has the same (different speed/cadence sensor of course). I just put it on the bike I'm using, go into settings/ bike profiles/ and choose one of the three bikes listed. It then knows whether there's power, heart rate and also the speed/cadence sensor for each bike and the tire calibration if you've bothered with that. That's it. Pretty easy. Just a thought.

slidey
08-03-2013, 12:09 PM
The 510 also has the LiveTrack feature that's discussed here: link (forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=131249)
I have neither of the tenors, so no personal experience.

DfCas
08-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I've had both the 500 and the 510. I found the display on the 500 hard to read. The 510 has a better and larger display, and the touch screen control is an improvement in my opinion. I don't care about live track or 90% of the features, but I like the 510 better. Except for the fact that I can't get any garmin to display the speed in a stable manner.

ultraman6970
08-03-2013, 12:35 PM
The difference between the two its just 10.

Bruce K
08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
1. Again, I know it's relatively easy to flip from 1 bike to another but because they have different HR senders/power meters the switch does not always go as simply as it ought to.

2. I use speed sendors instead of GPS and those are steady and seem to be more accurate

BK

Calnago
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Ok, understand... but I use different speed/cadence sensors on each bike as well, all with their own "sensor id's". SRM on one bike, no power on the others. Heart rate all the time. I've just had to set up one profile for each bike and that's been it. Have not had any issues. Just select the profile and it knows which sensors I'm using, the wheel calibration etc.

But no harm in having a separate head unit on each bike as well if that's the way you want to go.

Willy
08-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I recently upgraded from the 705 to the 510 due to a gift - wasn't looking to upgrade but this just happened I am very happy with the upgrade.

The 510 has more data on one screen, has the touch screen, better screen, has the temperature reading and the live tracking. The live tracking is great for my wife so that we can co-ordinate were to meet or just to let her know where I am at.

Overall, I would recommend the 510.

kramnnim
08-03-2013, 04:55 PM
While you don't need the 800, as stated, it is much easier to switch bike profiles with it. One press of the side button, then two taps of the screen. No issues noticed with different Quarqs and speed/cadence sensors.

Z3c
08-03-2013, 05:08 PM
I have a 500 and was looking for a second as I find the switching between bike profiles to more difficult than I wanted to deal with. I bought a 510 and didn't really care for it; I found swiping to another screen to be a challenge while riding because if you touch to firmly it moves into the change(most certainly not the actual name)screen. I don't use screens with more than 6 data screens so more options is not of value to me. I have 4 active screens and prefer to scroll through when I am done than have 8 in front of me while riding. My main screen has 2 screens and I will look at the others when I'm finished riding. For me, having 2 identical computers was of more value. Live weather in my part of Az is pretty worthless..

Calnago
08-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Apologies for my previous posts. I have a Garmin 800 and mistakenly thought the setting up and choosing different bike profiles was similar on the 500. It is not. Just tried it. Not nearly as intuitive. Sorry.