PDA

View Full Version : OT: Teaching

cmbicycles
08-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Just wondering if any of the teachers here could keep their ears open for a music teaching position somewhere around the Pennsylvania/NJ/Maryland/Delaware area. I was just laid off from my part time job, and my offered full-time teaching position did not come to fruition as it was promised. Its been a fun week. On the plus I still have a part time position, no one in the family is hurt or sick, and I have more time to go ride. However, If nothing turns up on the job front soon, expect to see a classifieds sale to benefit hungry children in central VA (mine ;))
Any leads appreciated (PM leads please).

Thanks

Ken Robb
08-02-2013, 01:14 PM
It might help to provide more info on what kind(s) of music you teach, your education, experience, etc.

My wife is a music teacher.

cmbicycles
08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I am certified for PK-12 Music with a choral/vocal endorsement on my license. I have vocal/choral, piano, guitar, and a several other instrument background. Currently teaching elementary general music, but wouldn't object to MS or HS chorus/guitar/gen music, etc.

Thanks

Ken Robb
08-02-2013, 03:21 PM
In our area public schools have eliminated most art/music programs. Leslie teaches Pre-8th music/chorus in a Lutheran school. She is also Music Director for the associated church which means organist, choir director, conductor of small instrumental groups, etc.
She also give private piano and organ lessons to 40 students of all ages.

Quite a few parents say they have their kids at St. Paul's Lutheran because they want them exposed to art/music and their public schools don't offer those any more.

I don't suppose you have left any stone unturned in your area but there may be opportunities for full/part time work in parochial schools or bigger churches which often have one or two music directors for traditional and contemporary music/worship programs. A couple of pals are organists for Jewish congregations but I don't know about other positions in that or other faiths.

I can imagine that some private schools might let you use their facilities to give private lessons to their students during and after the school day if you were an independent contractor who was not on the payroll. They could thereby offer opportunities for music instruction without adding to their overhead.

Good luck with your search. Ken