PDA

View Full Version : D2R2 Bikes 2013

Cat3roadracer
08-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Please post a picture of your ride for Deerfield this year. I will as soon as I can get the camera to sync.

4Rings6Stars
08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I just found out that I can't do the ride this year...bummer. I did the last two on my IF Planet X but was planning on riding my DeSalvo this year..

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/EC90CC19-7171-4B74-A3EF-E1DB54EBA98A-13100-00000BA159E4303B_zps69d9af27.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/EC90CC19-7171-4B74-A3EF-E1DB54EBA98A-13100-00000BA159E4303B_zps69d9af27.jpg.html)

eBAUMANN
08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
CANT. FREAKIN. WAIT.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/9418040039_717ef467a8_o.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558874_10100730724444169_224616728_n.jpg

KidWok
08-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I just know I'm gonna like this thread!:banana:

Tai

christian
08-01-2013, 11:31 PM
http://christianedstrom.com/zanconato/westpointcx20121021_2.JPG

With the Gaslo bottle cages!

witcombusa
08-02-2013, 04:46 AM
This will make the 4th different bike I've ridden for D2R2 over the last 9 years.

She is an '89 Team Stumpjumper that is kitted out as a tribute to the '84 Specialized race team bikes. Frame is Tange Prestige tubing.

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 05:37 AM
. . . with same gearing as last year. Man, that 34-32 makes all the difference between a death march and an enjoyable day!

I'm signed up for the 100k but may go ahead to the 115.

BBD

nighthawk
08-02-2013, 06:39 AM
I rode this Chas Roberts last year. I'll be banding ducks in saskatchewan this year. :(

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hNlls_hn3Ds/UZj9yfIU6fI/AAAAAAAACLo/iBEEayXC7Vo/w771-h576-no/IMG_0168.JPG

MrDangerPants
08-02-2013, 06:50 AM
This will make the 4th different bike I've ridden for D2R2 over the last 9 years.

She is an '89 Team Stumpjumper that is kitted out as a tribute to the '84 Specialized race team bikes. Frame is Tange Prestige tubing.

Very nice! Last time I did the D2R2 (100K in 2009, I think), I rode it on this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m99npd8wEj1rsielzo1_1280.jpg

I signed up back in June for the 100K. Unfortunately, I forgot to check my calendar as I realized after I took the plunge that my wife & I are heading to Wellfleet for a week the day of the event. I am debating doing the 40 mile ride and heading to the Cape after....

P.S. For gearing, I ran a 1x8, 36 chainring and a 12/28 cassette. Never walked.

P.P.S. If I do head out for the ride, I'll be on this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8256/8704374495_09dbee5489_o.jpg

firerescuefin
08-02-2013, 06:53 AM
A little bit about the ride and rationale for equipment choice?

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 06:59 AM
A little bit about the ride and rationale for equipment choice?

I am on these roads daily - with a Gaulzetti bicycle and some Challenge 23mm clinchers. There's no need to gear up (equipment) for this event.

christian
08-02-2013, 07:04 AM
It's a 100-115-150-180k bicycle ride, with approximately 70% of the routes on large-aggregate eastern gravel and some stiff climbing. Best option is 32-35mm tires with minimal tread and low gearing; I ran 34-29 low last year and that worked well. Going with 39-29 this year because I can't be bothered to change my crank. I'm running 35mm Paselas on a cross bike.

ergott
08-02-2013, 07:13 AM
I agree with RS

Road bike with 34 low front ring and anywhere from a 28-32T low rear cog.

Having done this type of ride on a cross bike and a road bike, I prefer the nimbleness of a road bike and the braking performance of road calipers.

25mm tubulars are Baller.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-Gp5nSmL/0/X2/IMG_20130526_091629_557-X2.jpg

nighthawk
08-02-2013, 07:29 AM
I am on these roads daily - with a Gaulzetti bicycle and some Challenge 23mm clinchers. There's no need to gear up (equipment) for this event.

Same. But you have to admit there are sections that are less awkward on wider tires. A small portion of the total ride, but I don't think I'd ride 23s on those jeep tracks up in VT.

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Same. But you have to admit there are sections that are less awkward on wider tires. A small portion of the total ride, but I don't think I'd ride 23s on those jeep tracks up in VT.

I have 25mm clinchers for those atmo.

Cat3roadracer
08-02-2013, 07:47 AM
No "need" to gear up?

nighthawk
08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I got my walking shoes (9.5, cinchers)... for those. Actually I one legged it on 28s.

AngryScientist
08-02-2013, 07:55 AM

this "tough guy" attitude would actually be strictly terrible advice for most newcomers to D2R2. 23c tires are probably find for 90+% of the roads on the ride, but the occasional jeep track and real loose stuff is just not suitable for racing tires.

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 07:59 AM
I got my walking shoes (9.5, cinchers)... for those. Actually I one legged it on 28s.

Well it's a beautiful area, a great cause, and a fun day. But as far as gear goes, it's really just a road ride. There's dirt. And some gravel. And Hawkes Road (I think that's the name - I am going from memory) has some fun sections. But the worst of it is no more than being caught on bad roads in a torn up section of a town you found when you took a wrong turn. I get the love for the day, and the region. As far as the bicycle and parts parts go, they won't know any different if you just show up and pedal what you use any other weekend.

eBAUMANN
08-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Sure I COULD ride my cx bike on mtb trails, but I'd probably have a lot more fun on a mtb. Same logic applies to D2R2. You could run skinny tires and maybe luck out, but my experiences (with others on skinnies) has been the opposite (flats, multiple, everytime).

This ride is best done on a "fat tire road bike" aka a cx bike. With properly adjusted cantis/v's, braking is as good as calipers and with a larger tire you are not only less likely to flat but also more likely to actually ENJOY the ride, rather than stressing about how many tubes you have in your pocket or how sharp the rocks on the road are...

Just my 2c.

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 08:02 AM
this "tough guy" attitude would actually be strictly terrible advice for most newcomers to D2R2. 23c tires are probably find for 90+% of the roads on the ride, but the occasional jeep track and real loose stuff is just not suitable for racing tires.

Heh?
I was a newcomer to D2R2 a long time ago and used the same parts I described.
No need for the characterization here, quotes or no quotes.

AngryScientist
08-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Well it's a beautiful area, a great cause, and a fun day. But as far as gear goes, it's really just a road ride. There's dirt. And some gravel. And Hawkes Road (I think that's the name - I am going from memory) has some fun sections. But the worst of it is no more than being caught on bad roads in a torn up section of a town you found when you took a wrong turn. I get the love for the day, and the region. As far as the bicycle and parts parts go, they won't know any different if you just show up and pedal what you use any other weekend.

you CAN cut your steak with a chainsaw too, that doesnt mean its the smartest thing to do.

blow-hards aside, most people will find the course and the ride much more enjoyable on some nice fat tires.

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 08:11 AM
you CAN cut your steak with a chainsaw too, that doesnt mean its the smartest thing to do.

blow-hards aside, most people will find the course and the ride much more enjoyable on some nice fat tires.

Jeez Nick -have a nice day.
I was only here replying with my personal experiences from the event and living here in the area.
Apologies for not having the same POV that you have.

cp43
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
No "need" to gear up?

If you're a strong rider, a strong climber, and have good bike handling skills, then there is not really a need to "gear up."

If you, like me, are lacking in any of these areas, your ride can be made more pleasurable with wider tires, and lower gearing. I'll be on 32mm tires, and bringing a 22 - 28 low gear.

You'll see all kinds of bikes on the ride (which is part of the fun.) Everything from road bikes with skinny tires to full suspension MTBs with 2.2 inch wide tires. It comes down to your fitness and skill level, and which bike you're most comfortable with.

Chris

AngryScientist
08-02-2013, 08:20 AM
I was only here replying with my personal experiences .

and i mine...

anyway, back on topic.

i'll have the GH out and about. my plan at the moment is 30 in the rear, 28 up front.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ptK0GZHXXyM/UcdvDMmQDQI/AAAAAAAABTg/dfhCxJk6InM/s640/100_0232.JPG

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 08:23 AM
and i mine...

anyway, back on topic.

i'll have the GH out and about. my plan at the moment is 30 in the rear, 28 up front.

You're my Friday velo-hero.
Bananas.

TimD
08-02-2013, 08:26 AM
this "tough guy" attitude would actually be strictly terrible advice for most newcomers to d2r2. 23c tires are probably fine for 90+% of the roads on the ride, but the occasional jeep track and real loose stuff is just not suitable for racing tires.

+100

fuzzalow
08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
These discussions always bring out the inner cycling stud. Where the advice is ostensibly to help out a rider who might consider participating in the ride and the true result is to parade the extraordinary fitness and skill of the person in reply.

Just help the guy out.

moose8
08-02-2013, 08:41 AM
This will be my fourth year - previous years I have done the shorter variants (100 and 115 I think) and have done the routes a few other times. Hoping to finally tackle the full one this year. I never know what to use. Last year I used a road bike with a standard crank and an 11-28 cassette on the the 115 and I had to walk at a couple of points, one of which I was popping tiny wheelies unless leaning way over the front of the bike. This year I'll be using the same road bike (Litespeed Archon 3) with 25s but have switched to a compact crank (I tried to upload a picture but technical difficulties prevented it). When I've used 30 and up I've not flatted, but when I've used 25 and under I have - though obviously this may just be a function of the particular tires I was using. I did the 100 route on a tandem with a friend on 25s and we flatted once, but I have to say the descents were absolutely insane/harrowing/fun/thrilling. When I've done it on a triple I never had to walk, but the bike was way heavier than my road bike, so there was that trade-off.

Regardless of what you use it'll be fun. The collection of bikes is one of my favorite parts - pretty much 75% of them are worth more than my car (my own included). If anyone is thinking of doing it, they should. The 100k has a bail-out option that makes it very doable for anyone regardless of experience I would say.

Plus the entry includes one free beer at the end, which may be my favorite part about the whole thing.

witcombusa
08-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Disagree with ritchie on this!

Can you ride "anything", i.e. not "gear up" for the ride? Maybe

but you will have a much better day if you (imo) have tires at least 28mm (32mm plus even better) and have a low gear as close to 1 to 1 as possible.

ymmv

ergott
08-02-2013, 08:46 AM
There's no need to characterize anyone's choice here. Lots of bikes work and that's the point trying to be made. After all, it's not a race and the worst sections can be traversed by any bike if you go slow enough. The jeep track at the beginning isn't very long at all. In fact most people have to walk that regardless of their bike/tire choice. It's too technical to clear for most. The long descent before the rest stop is the trickiest part and if you take it slow you are fine.

I used to think fat tires were a must and recommended them myself, but after riding similar/worse terrain with 25mm tires I was surprised how little I missed bigger tires. In fact bigger tires made me bomb the descents faster than I probably should have and had a few near crashes because of it. I will stand by the superior performance of tubulars and tubeless. Lots of places for pinch flats unless you are riding monster tires. I would routinely bottom out my Michelin Jets on rocks in the middle of the road.

cp43
08-02-2013, 09:03 AM
My bike:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BlTYVgTyw1o/Ufu8ATfEmRI/AAAAAAAAAoM/qAWwwH4CRiY/w919-h689-no/IMG_1913.JPG

Formulasaab
08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
This bike was essentially built by the Paceline as almost all of it came from Paceline members in one way or another.
It will have a different wheel set and tires (28s) but essentially this is it:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/02/3adapusa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 09:16 AM
. . . wider tires and lower gearing are going to contribute to a more enjoyable day.

In 2008 my lowest gear was a 36-26 and while I survived the 100k ride, I was really hurting at the end and by then it was not enjoyable. But I wanted to prove to myself I could do it and I did--and I've been riding for almost 30 years and am in what I think could accurately be described as good shape. This is a challenging ride by any measure.

Last year with that in mind, I put on a new long cage derailleur and a 34-32 lowest cog combo and it made all the difference in the world. I had a good time, got a great workout, and finished the ride with enough energy left to enjoy the post-ride meal. I'm running that same gearing this year and going from 30mm knobbies to 32's.

If you have something to prove or a rep to maintain, then by all means make it as hard for yourself as you wish. But if you just want to have a good time, avoid flats, and enjoy the scenery and the experience . . . then lower your gearing and widen your tires, relax, and go ride. It's not a race unless you make it into one, which some people always seem to be intent on doing.

BBD

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
. . . wider tires and lower gearing are going to contribute to a more enjoyable day.

In 2008 my lowest gear was a 36-26 and while I survived the 100k ride, I was really hurting at the end and by then it was not enjoyable. But I wanted to prove to myself I could do it and I did--and I've been riding for almost 30 years and am in what I think could accurately be described as good shape. This is a challenging ride by any measure.

Last year with that in mind, I put on a new long cage derailleur and a 34-32 lowest cog combo and it made all the difference in the world. I had a good time, got a great workout, and finished the ride with enough energy left to enjoy the post-ride meal. I'm running that same gearing this year and going from 30mm knobbies to 32's.

If you have something to prove or a rep to maintain, then by all means make it as hard for yourself as you wish. But if you just want to have a good time, avoid flats, and enjoy the scenery and the experience . . . then lower your gearing and widen your tires, relax, and go ride. It's not a race unless you make it into one, which some people always seem to be intent on doing.

BBD

The only change I made for the ride was my gearing, but I didn't speak to that earlier before the thread veered into anything personal.

eBAUMANN
08-02-2013, 09:24 AM
it is nice to be able to finish happy and comfy, ready for the feast...im learning that more and more every year i partake.

that said, i think the right gearing and tire choice can contribute handily to that - after three 180k's, I have always rolled in with a new/re-newed appreciation for the 35c conti file-treads I rode and recommend them to any/all taking a cx bike to the ride.

no flats and a comfy ride are really all you can hope for from your equipment, the rest is up to you/your fitness.

bottom line, just run what ya brung and enjoy the scenery!

AngryScientist
08-02-2013, 09:53 AM
less discussion, more bike pictures!

moose8
08-02-2013, 09:57 AM

sparky33
08-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Picture this bike with Grifo or Grifo XS clinchers and a 12-30 cassette.
Had a ball riding around Lyme, CT yesterday. Dirt is in good shape in Beckett Hill State Park. Is anyone here the Sachs rider in the group I met at Beaver Brook and Grassy Hill?

Cat3roadracer
08-02-2013, 10:22 AM
That Kirk is beautiful.

sparky33
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
That Kirk is beautiful.

Thanks. The really beautiful bikes come out of a shop just a mile or two up the road from that spot.

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 10:44 AM
The only change I made for the ride was my gearing, but I didn't speak to that earlier before the thread veered into anything personal.

I think you need a reality check here . . .

Given the terrain involved in this ride and the distances involved, it's not particularly helpful to suggest to readers who may be interested in doing the ride--but never have done it before--to go run 23mm or 25mm street tires. When you suggest such it sends both a message and a meta-message.

Totally aside from gearing, running wider, lower pressure tires is more appropriate for the terrain and will result in a more comfortable ride and fewer flats for most riders.

If you wish to take my particular post as personal, then I guess that's your call.

BBD

ergott
08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
If you wish to take my particular post as personal, then I guess that's your call.

BBD

I bet he took this

"If you have something to prove or a rep to maintain, then by all means make it as hard for yourself as you wish."

as personal.

I don't think D2R2 is a beginner rider type ride. From my experience, people contemplating D2R2 are already more advanced riders. That said, I stand by my choice. I took my Zank out for a shakedown ride on similar terrain in Virginia. I was rocking 28mm Ultremos which sounded like the perfect choice. They are a good balance between cush and speed.

Within a few miles, I pinch flatted the front tire. It just turned me off from riding that bike the next day for the full ride. The Zank had nice low gearing, but tires that I wouldn't be as confident on. Next to the Zank was my Ottrott fresh from paint. I had no plans of riding that bike off tarmac. Problem was that was the bike that had 32 spoke Mavic GP4 rims and some Schwalbe Ultremo 25mm tires. I was sweating my decision all night and probably talked a few ears off thinking out loud about it.

I decided the tire type was more important than size and went with them. Forget the fact that the bike had far less than ideal gearing. That was my problem and not the point of my post.

I went with the Serotta and put my normal road pressure in them (90f/95r). There were a lot of pinch flats from people hitting stray rocks at speed. These same rocks show up on all the gravel roads on D2R2. I've seen plenty of people there on the side of the road. To be fair one rider double flatted some tubulars. Other than those, the majority of flats were clinchers due to pinched tubes.

That said you have a few choices.

1) go tubular. Downside? You might not have wheels ready. I wouldn't go out and buy wheels just for this ride.

2) Clinchers. Downside? Pinch flats. If you put enough pressure in them to prevent bottoming out you are bouncing over the terrain too much and it sucks. I had my 28mm Ultremos at 70-80psi which felt safe and secure for handling, but the tires would bounce off the rim on the heaviest hits.

3) tubeless. Downside? Not much. at most new tires and some Stan's tape to convert your existing wheels. The benefits over clinchers is huge. You can run lower pressure. I had my Michelin Jets at no more than 40psi everytime I've ridden them off road. That includes a tough singletrack, 6hr mountain bike endurance race. More pressure means you bounce and you will be less efficient. I now have some Hutchinson Secteurs that I'm trying out and so far I do like them. That's a great alternative and will fit under most road bike's brakes.

Bottom line, if you already have a 'cross bike or touring bike you don't need to buy anything special for this ride (gear up).

If you have a road bike, at most you need some lower gears and a set of Hutchinson Secteurs setup tubeless. No need to go out and buy a "special bike" for this. If you have a single road bike that won't fit 28mm tires, I don't want to talk to you;-) At least you should have a mountain bike. I see plenty of those on this ride.

DarrenCT
08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
deleted

ergott
08-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Oh, more pictures. If I don't bring the Ottrott, I'll bring this. If there's any chance it will be wet, the Zank is a given.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-S8xXTfk/0/X2/IMG_20130729_135021_096-X2.jpg

I could even bring this with the Secteurs mounted.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-7vJjw22/0/X2/IMG_20130726_175509_470-X2.jpg

All my bikes are D2R2 compatible.

TomNY
08-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Cervelo R3
Sram Compact 34/50
XX Cassette 11-32 Wifli
Conti 25mm GP

Its my first D2R2 ride I hope too see you all soon!

ergott
08-02-2013, 11:20 AM
what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

if you're out of shape, fat, and can't handle a bike, get all the extra help you can.

if you're in shape, can handle a bike really well, 23's or whatever will be fine.

i'm guessing most people here are in the first category. just a guess.
nothing else matters really.

I know at least one rider that was stronger than ever and had lower than ever gearing on the bike. He wasn't in the first category.

Tires? Fitness has nothing to do with it. Ability does. I know plenty of "fat and out of shape" guys that can still handle a bike better than most.

myette10
08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Rode it 2x with 23mm clinchers on meh roadie. No probs, and I got freaky on the washed out descents too. 39x26 lowest gear. So, it can be done.

My POV is this: I enjoyed it more than I would have on a "more appropriate" bike because it was challenging to do it on a pure road machine.

But hey if a more "burly" rig is your cup-o-tea, go nutz. This ride would be most enjoyable on a G650 (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html)

witcombusa
08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

if you're out of shape, fat, and can't handle a bike, get all the extra help you can.

if you're in shape, can handle a bike really well, 23's or whatever will be fine.

nothing else matters really.

I'm guessing most people here are somewhere in between, with a few at either end of the bell curve.

Bikes are but a small portion of life...

CNY rider
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Richard seems very articulate, and certainly posts frequently enough.
I find it odd when other people rush in to speak for him or interpret his statements.
Why does that happen?

CNY rider
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
And here's my 2 cents: Many of you have done our Dirtphalt ride.
If you haven't it's very similar terrain to Deerfield.
I would say that I am an average rider. I don't have anywhere near the skill of an accomplished cyclocross racer like e-Richie.
I could do the Dirtphalt ride with 700X23 road tires. I am used to riding on dirt and more importantly I know where the dangerous sections are and how to approach them.
Does that mean other people should come here and try it on road tires?
No way.

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh, more pictures. If I don't bring the Ottrott, I'll bring this. If there's any chance it will be wet, the Zank is a given.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-S8xXTfk/0/X2/IMG_20130729_135021_096-X2.jpg

All my bikes are D2R2 compatible.

. . . low gears, wide tires, stop to have lunch, stop at the tops of hills and enjoy the view. Have a great time. End of story.

And BTW, ergott, that's one killer nice looking Zanc! Love that pearly white! :banana:

BBD

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Richard seems very articulate, and certainly posts frequently enough.
I find it odd when other people rush in to speak for him or interpret his statements.
Why does that happen?
I'll answer you with a question -

Why do terms like this "tough guy" attitude or blow-hards aside have to accompany replies to me from folks who don't share my points of view? And by extension, why would someone suggest that these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud ?

I posted based on my knowledge of the event and area. And I also am on these roads several times a week, some weeks every day. I made the comment that any road bicycle can be used (words to that effect) and mentioned the tire sizes I choose daily. Gear ratios are another subject. But if I suggest that my daily rider is a D2R2 bicycle as-is, folks assume there's a macho thing, or a racer thing, going on. Far from it.

Enjoy Franklin County. I moved here after my first D2R2 as a result of the beauty here.

I am not trying to create drama here. But I will react to the drama that's here since some of my opinions seem to have touched a nerve or three.

Formulasaab
08-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I for one, having recently signed up for my first D2R2, felt a little better after reading e-RICHIE's comments.

I'd probably be more comfortable on my mountain bike, but I want to ride something similar to what my friends are riding so that my pace is as similar to theirs as possible. I guess I'm a social animal.

They're all riding road bikes or cross bikes. I don't have a cross bike, but I have an abundance of road bikes. So I picked a frame I didn't care much about because it had a cracked rear dropout which meant that if it was ever to be used again, I'd lose the "all original" paint. Since I'd be riding dirt with rocks jumping about, this was OK. I had the dropout replaced and built it up as a "climbing" road bike with compact cranks and a 30 tooth cassette.

I was a little worried because all I can fit are 28's. But if e-RICHIE is doing it on 23's, I figure I'm golden on 28's. :banana:

CNY rider
08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I'll answer you with a question -

Why do terms like this "tough guy" attitude or blow-hards aside have to accompany replies to me from folks who don't share my points of view? And by extension, why would someone suggest that these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud ?

I posted based on my knowledge of the event and area. And I also am on these roads several times a week, some weeks every day. I made the comment that any road bicycle can be used (words to that effect) and mentioned the tire sizes I choose daily. Gear ratios are another subject. But if I suggest that my daily rider is a D2R2 bicycle as-is, folks assume there's a macho thing, or a racer thing, going on. Far from it.

Enjoy Franklin County. I moved here after my first D2R2 as a result of the beauty here.

I am not trying to create drama here. But I will react to the drama that's here since some of my opinions seem to have touched a nerve or three.

I don't know the answer to your question. Those weren't words I used.
Do you know the answer to my question? Because I'm genuinely curious.

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 12:59 PM

It was only Eric who attempted to explain my post or what I may be thinking, and used his reply to make that point. Maybe he'll see this and lyk.

rwsaunders
08-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Bucket list ride for me. All of the bikes and ride photos make me envious for sure.

christian
08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
I posted based on my knowledge of the event and area. And I also am on these roads several times a week, some weeks every day. I made the comment that any road bicycle can be used (words to that effect) and mentioned the tire sizes I choose daily. Gear ratios are another subject.But in 2011, didn't you ride your cx bike? I rode my Merckx with 23mm tires last year. IOt was fine, but I got two pinch flats. I might do my Colnago with 25mm tubs this year, but I'm strongly leaning toward the Zanc cx, just for the option of mounting 28mm or 32mm tires. Let's face it, it's more fun to really let the bike roll on the downhills!

christian
08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
But if e-RICHIE is doing it on 23's, I figure I'm golden on 28's. :banana:28s or 32s are perfect. You'll enjoy it.

Auk
08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Getting the feeling that if e-Richie were to have said he's running a cross bike with 38's he'd still have been making the wrong tire choice. "Baaaaaaaaa! THat's too much tire!!"

AngryScientist
08-02-2013, 01:47 PM
perhaps i came across a little ruder than necessary, but my point was that someone asked, basically,

i've never done this ride before, what type of terrain is it, and what kind of equipment is recommended

the response of it's just another road ride and any road bike with 23s is fine, certainly is insufficient information. it's incorrect, and it's inconsiderate to tell someone new to the area that it's just another road ride.

now PLEASE, let's get back to the topic at hand, pictures of your d2r2 set-up.

William
08-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Run what ya brung and have fun.

William

ergott
08-02-2013, 02:29 PM
I already posted three potential bike choices for D2R2;-)

I chimed in because I didn't think his post came off the way people were responding to him. Rich is a big boy, but my point is I didn't interpret his response as one that put down anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

It's okay for people to disagree. I just think it's time to drop the snide remarks the often come along with responses. It's not a unique problem to any one person/thread/topicforum. It's just something that as I have gotten more and more sensitive to and have made a personal attempt to stop doing. It isn't necessary and leads to ill will.

sparky33
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
More bikes, less jibber jabber!

D2R2 2012 - Grifo/Fango 46/30x12-27

D2R2 2010? - Hetre 46/30x12-27
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6074/6073203730_fa901a232b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27988383@N06/6073203730/)

2009? - Panaracer 35s? 26/36/46x12-27
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4059/4486920886_d92d288ff6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27988383@N06/4486920886/)

fourflys
08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
to each their own... I've personally vowed to never ride anything smaller than a 25mm on any bike I own from now on... and 28s are really my minimum if there's room... actually my recent bike buying has reflected this..

never done D2R2, would love to if I get stationed back east at some point... pretty sure of the bikes I have now, it would be my Black Mountain Cycles cross (nice friendly gearing)... although I may take off the 43mm Rock 'n Roads and replace with the Conti Speeds...

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
But in 2011, didn't you ride your cx bike? I rode my Merckx with 23mm tires last year. IOt was fine, but I got two pinch flats. I might do my Colnago with 25mm tubs this year, but I'm strongly leaning toward the Zanc cx, just for the option of mounting 28mm or 32mm tires. Let's face it, it's more fun to really let the bike roll on the downhills!
Yes - with my road wheels. I wouldn't ride all that pavement with Grifos. I used a 12-28 cassette.
perhaps i came across a little ruder than necessary, but my point was that someone asked, basically,

the response of it's just another road ride and any road bike with 23s is fine, certainly is insufficient information. it's incorrect, and it's inconsiderate to tell someone new to the area that it's just another road ride.

now PLEASE, let's get back to the topic at hand, pictures of your d2r2 set-up.
You disagree with me. I get that. Aren't you the one who told me, on two occasions today, to lighten up? How about letting all the opposing POVs rest.

texbike
08-02-2013, 02:43 PM
"what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

nothing else matters really."

LOL! Yep, I fit into that first category. Plus I smell kinda funny and like drinks with little cocktail umbrellas in them. I've never ridden D2R2 and won't be doing it this year either. However, if I was, it would be on this all the way....

Texbike

William
08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
LOL! Yep, I fit into that first category. Plus I smell kinda funny and like drinks with little cocktail umbrellas in them. I've never ridden DRR2 and won't be doing it this year either. However, if I was, it would be on this all the way....

Texbike

Too funny, I was just thinking about one of those. A neighbor kid had one back in the day. I could use you for motor pacing. What you doing next weekend?;)

William

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 02:52 PM
. . . are just the right width. :rolleyes:

BBD

"what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

LOL! Yep, I fit into that first category. Plus I smell kinda funny and like drinks with little cocktail umbrellas in them. I've never ridden DRR2 and won't be doing it this year either. However, if I was, it would be on this all the way....

Texbike

texbike
08-02-2013, 02:57 PM
What you doing next weekend?;)

William

I dunnoh big boy. Whatcha got in mind? :)

Just kidding!

We had one of these 70s when I was a kid. I think that it was inherited as part of a trade on a dune buggy. Anyway, it lasted about a month before becoming bent beyond repair after hitting a tree during a "jump gone bad". It was soon replaced with a go-kart that a neighbor and I built out of 2X4s, some, pipe, lawnmower parts, and other odd scraps that we had around. It didn't work very well. Needless to say neither the neighbor or I became automotive designers. Otherwise, the world could have ended up with something FAR worse than the Pontiac Aztek...

Texbike

Keith A
08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Don't know about you guys, but this is what I'm bringing...

http://blog.flying-hobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/giant-bicycle.jpg

texbike
08-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Don't know about you guys, but this is what I'm bringing...

http://blog.flying-hobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/giant-bicycle.jpg

That's awesome! The Monster Truck of bikes, umm or would that be trikes, or what exactly WOULD that be???

On a serious note, there are some REALLY cool bikes in this thread (even if Christian didn't deliver on his promise of a 27.5 Extreme Power). I'm jealous and wish that I could be there to ride with you guys. It looks like it would be a blast!

Texbike

witcombusa
08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
In the spirit of less talk and more bikes, here are my previous D2R2 rides...

Years 1-3, '71 Raleigh Grand Prix 650b conversion, friction shifted 2 x 7, 650 x 38 tires, 28 x 32 low gear
Years 4-6, '83 Bianchi Cross, friction shifted 2 x 7, 700 x 32 tires, 28 x 32 low gear
Years 7 & 8, Ritchey BA Cross, indexed 9sd bar ends 2 x 9, 700 x 35 tires, 34 x 34 low gear
9 will be the Team SJ, indexed 7sd bar ends 3 x 7, 26 x 1.95 tires, 24 x 28 low gear

tiretrax
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Here's the problem - no ATMO!

I did a night time gravel grinder two weeks ago. Now, that's fun.

What a great week of riding in NE - the RI Red Ramble last week, and D2R2 this week. Ya'll have a great ride, whatever your steed.

witcombusa
08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Here's the problem - no ATMO!

I did a night time gravel grinder two weeks ago. Now, that's fun.

What a great week of riding in NE - the RI Red Ramble last week, and D2R2 this week. Ya'll have a great ride, whatever your steed.

Ride is Aug. 24th

Currently 920 pre registered riders!

pinkshogun
08-02-2013, 04:40 PM
i did a post-ride in October of last year on this. 34x34, 37mm tires

tiretrax
08-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Ride is Aug. 24th

Currently 920 pre registered riders!

I guess I spoke too soon. Hmmmm. I wonder how I can justify this trip with my wife. :help:

e-RICHIE
08-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder how I can justify this trip with my wife. :help:

It's commonly referred to as a prenup atmo.

Peter P.
08-02-2013, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=ergott;1394549]

...the worst sections can be traversed by any bike if you go slow enough. The jeep track at the beginning isn't very long at all. In fact most people have to walk that regardless of their bike/tire choice. It's too technical to clear for most.

True; Old Albany Road becomes a Baatan Death March and funny to watch the conga line as it snakes its way up the hill. I will say however, that the 1.5" tires on my ATB at the right pressure (40-45psi for me) just ate it up.

The long descent before the rest stop is the trickiest part and if you take it slow you are fine.
Ah; Deer Park Rd. I hit 46mph on that. But with the wide flat bars on my ATB I was like Moses parting the Red Sea. With the right bike, tires, and some skill, you'll pee your pants with glee descending Deer Park Road. You can make it down on a skinnier tired bike, but your grin won't be as big.

In fact bigger tires made me bomb the descents faster than I probably should have and had a few near crashes because of it. ... Lots of places for pinch flats unless you are riding monster tires. I would routinely bottom out my Michelin Jets on rocks in the middle of the road.

If I had a dollar for every road or 'cross bike I saw with a flat, I could cover my registration! I think every year I've ridden D2R2 they're carting someone out with broken bones who pile drove themselves into the dirt. Can't say that about your local century, can you?

So yeah; if you're riding skinny tires, scale back your expectations and ride with caution. If you want to throw caution to the wind however, ride fatter tires and maybe get a wider bar for control on the descents.

I've ridden all the distances except the 150k. This is what I've used in years past; more recently I've used my identically equipped Rock Lobster as you'll see below, and my buddy's D2R2 veteran bike is pictured as well. The wider tires don't feel like a liability while climbing and in fact offer a larger footprint for traction, but it descends like a porn star's pants:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2668/3757629963_83b6b5fa7a_z.jpg?zz=1

P.S. I'll be volunteering this year at the Patten Hill rest stop on the 100km route. Feel free to introduce yourself.

Cat3roadracer
08-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Since I started this, I thought I needed to post a picture. My gearing may be a bit high, but when Chuck's walking I'll be riding.

Lugged Bedford, King R45 hubs/ 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro's, SRAM Force/XO rear der, Acorn bag, and most importantly - cream stitched HandleBra.

See you there.

Dave

fourflys
08-02-2013, 07:50 PM
i did a post-ride in October of last year on this. 34x34, 37mm tires

love that bike! An orange Ram is on my list if I ever run across one in my size...

vav
08-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I bought my Black Mountain Monster CX F/F/HS with D2R2 in mind. Outfitted with 700 x 37 tires, a triple crankset and a 11-36 cassette. Better to have the gears and not need them than to need them and not have them ;)

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Looks like you could ride up trees with that thing!

:)

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2013, 08:16 PM
. . . I will be wearing my special D2R2 team kit.

BBD

Cat3roadracer
08-02-2013, 08:52 PM
The Black Mountain is beautiful. Hope to see it there.

Cat3roadracer
08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
The CremBroulette seen above is beautiful.

sailorboy
08-02-2013, 09:22 PM
This will be my 3rd D2R2, first on this bike but the last two have been on something similar. Steel frame, standard road bike with possibly a little more forgiveness built into the rear end, but nothing special. Same tires will go into service since '09. Not just the same model, the_exact_same tires--25 mm continental gatorskin clinchers. Never flatted on this ride, battenkill x2, baller's ride and all kinds of other similar stuff. Probably around 80/85 psi on these kind of roads.

For me I didn't worry about the downhills on skinny tires so much, you just slow down if you have to. It was all the climbing that made the day easier more enjoyable with a lighter wheel/tire combo than what many of the cogniscenti on here seem to say is going to make everyone's day easier. I'd rather not climb for 20-30 minutes straight on big chunky cross tires.

tiretrax
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM
It's commonly referred to as a prenup atmo.
I'll have to discuss my lawyer's malpractice with him!:fight:

Eek, I've used emoticons twice today!

e-R, it would make my travel easier if I could borrow one of your team bikes.

fuzzalow
08-03-2013, 07:30 AM
And by extension, why would someone suggest that these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud ?

To close the loop on this for me, my apologies in advance for the timing of my response as the intent is not to belabor this issue but rather that I haven't log in since yesterday.

Yes, the barb about these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud is from me. It was not done frivolously. Your response was to the questionFor those that know nothing of the ride. A little bit about the ride and rationale for equipment choice?

I will not rehash the details of your response. I will say that the inquiry on equipment choices was seeking advice and insight on the ride for a newcomer rather than asking you what you use yourself for the ride. Advice is usually given to help a person and is given in the context of what is appropriate and useful to them. Targeted to their level of their experience with the event - which in this case is none.

IMO your response offered petty advice catering not to help a guy out but to nonchalantly mention what you, a veteran of multiple R2D2-type rides, use. Useless advice for a newcomer. You back pedal you initial response as merely a POV - yes I agree that every offer of advice has an inherent POV. The part that was missing is the relevance as useful to the intended audience.

You did not touch a nerve. You offered vain glorious platitudes in the guise of advice. I responded to that. No doubt we can agree to disagree and I just told you why.

weisan
08-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I dreamed about doing D2R2 the last couple of years, especially when I was abroad. And now that I am back state-side, I wonder whether I should act on it. The timing is good except I have not made any preparation for it, none, zero. Equipment-wise, is the easy part, I will simply change out the Taylor to its cross-configuration if desired (as shown in this picture), 32/35 pasela, compact-11-34 gear ratio.
http://alicehui.com/pics/nc/img/2.jpg

But the rest of the logistics is a bit more challenging: How do I get there from here in Austin, Texas? Assuming I can get there, where do I stay? all the logistical stuff. I would love to ride with you BBDave-pal. :)

e-RICHIE
08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
To close the loop on this for me, my apologies in advance for the timing of my response as the intent is not to belabor this issue but rather that I haven't log in since yesterday.

Yes, the barb about these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud is from me. It was not done frivolously. Your response was to the question

I will not rehash the details of your response. I will say that the inquiry on equipment choices was seeking advice and insight on the ride for a newcomer rather than asking you what you use yourself for the ride. Advice is usually given to help a person and is given in the context of what is appropriate and useful to them. Targeted to their level of their experience with the event - which in this case is none.

IMO your response offered petty advice catering not to help a guy out but to nonchalantly mention what you, a veteran of multiple R2D2-type rides, use. Useless advice for a newcomer. You back pedal you initial response as merely a POV - yes I agree that every offer of advice has an inherent POV. The part that was missing is the relevance as useful to the intended audience.

You did not touch a nerve. You offered vain glorious platitudes in the guise of advice. I responded to that. No doubt we can agree to disagree and I just told you why.

Targeted to their level of their experience with the event - which in this case is none.
Useless advice for a newcomer?

My experience with the event was once none too.
As I wrote in Post 21 several days ago -

Heh?
I was a newcomer to D2R2 a long time ago and used the same parts I described.
No need for the characterization here, quotes or no quotes.
Please try to leave out the analysis and personal agenda, whatever the reason for these might be.
Thanks.

Tyler Evans
08-03-2013, 10:12 AM
For the last couple of years I rode this bike set up just like this:

http://fireflybicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/10-FF035-Studio-3.jpg

This year maybe I'll ride this one because it shreds so hard:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/9371555355_d6f84bc328_c.jpg

For many years before I rode this one minus the fenders:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kFFsK9uidAo/SkTIl2t_aDI/AAAAAAAAAco/DmTD_-Oe2xk/s1600/Indy_full_side.jpg

velvig
08-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Already have my gearing figured out but still a little unsure about my tire choice. How much of D2R2 is actually paved?

witcombusa
08-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Already have my gearing figured out but still a little unsure about my tire choice. How much of D2R2 is actually paved?

It varies with the different routes.

Which are you contemplating doing?

ergott
08-03-2013, 12:05 PM

You should totally rock that mtb. That way I can borrow that sweet road bike for the day!

handsomerob
08-03-2013, 12:27 PM
This will be my 3rd D2R2, first on this bike but the last two have been on something similar. Steel frame, standard road bike with possibly a little more forgiveness built into the rear end, but nothing special. Same tires will go into service since '09. Not just the same model, the_exact_same tires--25 mm continental gatorskin clinchers. Never flatted on this ride, battenkill x2, baller's ride and all kinds of other similar stuff. Probably around 80/85 psi on these kind of roads.

For me I didn't worry about the downhills on skinny tires so much, you just slow down if you have to. It was all the climbing that made the day easier more enjoyable with a lighter wheel/tire combo than what many of the cogniscenti on here seem to say is going to make everyone's day easier. I'd rather not climb for 20-30 minutes straight on big chunky cross tires.

I think Maynard would dig the tribute license plate.. Nice bike too btw.

velvig
08-03-2013, 12:53 PM
It varies with the different routes.

Which are you contemplating doing?

I'm doing the 180 and I'll be on an old Jim Redcay, I guess by todays standards we'd call it a sports tourer, plenty of room for large tires if necessary.

sparky33
08-03-2013, 12:57 PM

I don't know the portion in terms of miles, but you will be on dirt for many more hours than not... The paved portions are basically brief uneventful connections between dirt roads going over hills.

sparky33
08-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't know the portion in terms of miles, but you will be on dirt for many more hours than not... The paved portions are basically brief uneventful connections between dirt roads going over hills.

Methinks some Grifo XS or Clement LAS would be a hoot to roll. Can anyone compare the latter to the former? Never tried LAS but I like XS a whole bunch.

Ahneida Ride
08-03-2013, 01:05 PM

--------------------

Yup, I'm fat, can't handle a bike and need all the extra help I can get.
I did 10 years ago and still do ...

and it's precisely because of all the inspirational help here and the
non-judgmental gracious good will of the many luminaries ATH that I
entered and still enjoy the sport.

Let's not eat our children.

What is really comes down to is enjoying oneself.

:banana:

witcombusa
08-03-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm doing the 180 and I'll be on an old Jim Redcay, I guess by todays standards we'd call it a sports tourer, plenty of room for large tires if necessary.

Depending on what your comfort/experience level is riding on packed/loose/rocky/steep dirt, that will help you decide what might work best.
You could do much worse than a 32mm Pasela though...

pbarry
08-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Pic of the Redcay, please. :)

mike p
08-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Not that I want this thread to drag out and die an extremely slow death but.....I sorta think both sides of argument are correct. I live in upstate NY and we've got plenty of gnarly seasonal roads (jeep trails). Most all of it can be ridden on a regular road bike with 23's. Maybe not the best choice if your looking to ride just that one hill but if you look at the entire ride, what's more painful.....riding one or two really bad sections on 23's or riding ·the other hundred miles on big fat slow tires? It all comes down to the individual. What's fun for you may not be fun for someone else.·
When I look at the bikes Tyler Evans posted I would rather ride the first skinny tire race bike. It'd be a pain for me to do a hundred miles on the mtb bike he's going to ride this year, even though he'll have a blast bombing the downhills on that thing! No right or wrong. ·Why get mad at someone else for having a different opinion.

Mike

ergott
08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Not that I want this thread to drag out and die an extremely slow death but.....I sorta think both sides of argument are correct. I live in upstate NY and we've got plenty of gnarly seasonal roads (jeep trails). Most all of it can be ridden on a regular road bike with 23's. Maybe not the best choice if your looking to ride just that one hill but if you look at the entire ride, what's more painful.....riding one or two really bad sections on 23's or riding ·the other hundred miles on big fat slow tires? It all comes down to the individual. What's fun for you may not be fun for someone else.·
When I look at the bikes Tyler Evans posted I would rather ride the first skinny tire race bike. It'd be a pain for me to do a hundred miles on the mtb bike he's going to ride this year, even though he'll have a blast bombing the downhills on that thing! No right or wrong. ·Why get mad at someone else for having a different opinion.

Mike

[X] Like.

:beer:

witcombusa
08-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Mike

Your theory leaves out an important option... the middle ground. 28's-35's don't roll poorly on the road at all and give the traction, comfort and flat protection that you will not have with 23ish road tires.

Over the past 8 events I've ridden 32's, 35's and 38's. Since I'm no lightweight @ 190#, I'd call the 32's marginal for my own use as the others work better for me.

This year I'll go even bigger with a hard-pack cross-country 26 x 1.95 tire.

Ride what works best for you

sailorboy
08-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I think Maynard would dig the tribute license plate.. Nice bike too btw.

You like that, huh? I was surprised no one else had that plate already here. I guess not enough fans of Tool or obscure drug-induced Jungian theories.

e-RICHIE
08-04-2013, 11:14 AM

I always do, and I'm able to take the heat for it too atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::cool:
:cool::cool::cool:
:rolleyes:;):cool:

4Rings6Stars
08-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Depending on what your comfort/experience level is riding on packed/loose/rocky/steep dirt, that will help you decide what might work best.
You could do much worse than a 32mm Pasela though...

I have done it on 32 Pasela TGs twice and would definitely recommend them. This year I was planning to step it up to 29X1.75 Vee rubber 12 tires.... But that much tire isn't necessary, just makes the dirt descents more fun!

I also have ridden 30mm Michelin CX Jet tires and they worked just fine too.

fuzzalow
08-04-2013, 05:32 PM

I always do, and I'm able to take the heat for it too atmo.

Take the heat for it, huh? HaHa! Can't tell if that was offered as humor or serious. That is just too precious. Unleash the inner cycling stud and a martyr complex, all in the same thread! Guess that makes for a complicated and diverse creature. Poor baby. ;)

e-RICHIE
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Take the heat for it, huh? HaHa! Can't tell if that was offered as humor or serious. That is just too precious. Unleash the inner cycling stud and a martyr complex, all in the same thread! Guess that makes for a complicated and diverse creature. Poor baby. ;)

Hi - As I posted to you several times already, please leave out the analysis, personal invectives, or any agenda you may have. Thanks.

Cat3roadracer
08-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Dang, all I wanted to see was cool bikes.

velvig
08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Pic of the Redcay, please. :)

I'll have pics soon, still working on the build, but definitely franken bike status. Retro purists will have to shield their eyes.

fuzzalow
08-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Hi - As I posted to you several times already, please leave out the analysis, personal invectives, or any agenda you may have. Thanks.

My posts are directed in response to the content and comments that you post. Should I post anything that you do not agree with or find distasteful, you may likewise comment in kind.

Please do not assume for a moment I am in any way conducting any kind of analysis, for whatever that term signifies to you. I have neither the qualifications nor desire to undertake such an endeavor. Thanks.

eBAUMANN
08-04-2013, 07:19 PM

http://fireflybicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/10-FF035-Studio-3.jpg

This year maybe I'll ride this one because it shreds so hard:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/9371555355_d6f84bc328_c.jpg

For many years before I rode this one minus the fenders:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kFFsK9uidAo/SkTIl2t_aDI/AAAAAAAAAco/DmTD_-Oe2xk/s1600/Indy_full_side.jpg

Can we stop debating nothing now and just look at some sweet dirt sleds? Every one of Tyler's options is stunning, can't wait to see which gets the call up on the 24th!

William
08-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Can we stop debating nothing now and just look at some sweet dirt sleds? Every one of Tyler's options is stunning, can't wait to see which gets the call up on the 24th!

Sounds like a plan! Enjoy the sleds and feel free to start another thread on the D2R2.

William