PDA

View Full Version : Fracking steel belted tires...

Lewis Moon
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
After having only ~2 flats in 6K miles, I'm on my sixth flat this summer. Every year when the temps go up, car tires start disintegrating, leaving a plethora of small, invisible wires all over the road.
Just a rant because I had to change a tire in the dark and cut a workout short this AM.:mad:

weiwentg
08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
FWIW, I ran over a large broken screw on a bike path (where they were doing some construction over the path) and put a medium sized hole into my Michelin Carbons.

I sympathize.

rice rocket
08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
After having only ~2 flats in 6K miles, I'm on my sixth flat this summer. Every year when the temps go up, car tires start disintegrating, leaving a plethora of small, invisible wires all over the road.
Just a rant because I had to change a tire in the dark and cut a workout short this AM.:mad:

I think it's more than the threat of crashing due to lack of tread on tires is lower, so people run tires down to the cords. The wires shouldn't escape until you're out of tread.

Lewis Moon
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it's more than the threat of crashing due to lack of tread on tires is lower, so people run tires down to the cords. The wires shouldn't escape until you're out of tread.

I also think that when the smaller chunks get repeatedly run over by traffic, it breaks the cords up, liberating more tiny caltrops. Whatever it is, I am SO fracking tired of having to pull the wires out of the tire with my teeth because they're too small to grip with my fingers.