PDA

View Full Version : Merckx frame designation

bobswire
07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
I was checking out a Merckx frame that had the Corsa decal on the top tube but when I checked the bottom bracket it had this :
# 7A A
T 3038

Which I believe makes it a 57CM Century TSX frame from 1986-87
Did Merckx label some Century's as Corsa or Corsa Extra's ?

texbike
07-31-2013, 11:35 AM
I was checking out a Merckx frame that had the Corsa decal on the top tube but when I checked the bottom bracket it had this :
# 7A A
T 3038

Which I believe makes it a 57CM Century TSX frame from 1986-87
Did Merckx label some Century's as Corsa or Corsa Extra's ?

As you've probably already noticed, ANYTHING is possible with a Merckx. The one thing that I would point out in your interpretation of the codes above is that TSX wasn't being used in 86/87. Corsa should have been SL. However, I have seen a Corsa with a SLX sticker on it...

Texbike

technicolor
07-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Repaint w/incorrect decals perhaps?

bobswire
07-31-2013, 11:46 AM
As you've probably already noticed, ANYTHING is possible with a Merckx. The one thing that I would point out in your interpretation of the codes above is that TSX wasn't being used in 86/87. Corsa should have been SL. However, I have seen a Corsa with a SLX sticker on it...

Texbike

If my interpretation of the code is incorrect maybe you could decipher it for me? http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/
Left side/right side of BB
# 7A / A
T / 3038

Letter Model
A (Professional?)
B (Professional?)
P Professional
C Corsa
X Corsa Extra
T TSX (Century)
M* Strada

In general, the letters from 1986/87 and on seem to follow a somewhat recognizable pattern. 84/85, part of 86 maybe, also seem semi consistent:
Letter Date Range
Z 85
A 86/87
B 88/89
C 90/91
D 92/93
E 94/95*

rccardr
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Yep, so very, very hard to ID a Merckx frame based solely on the serial number. Almost like the builders just grabbed whatever number & letter stamps were handy at the moment and pounded a few in there. I mean, there is some continuity from time to time, but there were so many one-offs, custom finishes and tubing changes that most of us are guessing at best.

Have owned a frame badged as a Corsa with an SLX sticker on it (and believe it had the ST rifling), original paint and decals. But no X on the BB.

Seen 753 frames without the logo seat stays (Grand Prix?) and own a 753 frame with the logo seatstays. It's a left side P, so one assumes it's a Professional.

I have an SLX Corsa Extra frame (or at least originally badged as such and with rifled ST) without logo seatstays. With chromed headlugs. No X, but a left side P. Really a Corsa Extra, or a Professional?

So many combinations of fully, 3/4, half, and partial seat and chainstay chrome.

Is the T on the left side of the BB, or on the right. If left (same area as the 7) I'd also guess TSX. But if it's on the right side? Who knows.

christian
07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Other than estimating the year within a year or three, Merckx serial numbers are worse than useless. Nice bikes though.

bobswire
07-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Yep, so very, very hard to ID a Merckx frame based solely on the serial number. Almost like the builders just grabbed whatever number & letter stamps were handy at the moment and pounded a few in there. I mean, there is some continuity from time to time, but there were so many one-offs, custom finishes and tubing changes that most of us are guessing at best.

Have owned a frame badged as a Corsa with an SLX sticker on it (and believe it had the ST rifling), original paint and decals. But no X on the BB.

Seen 753 frames without the logo seat stays (Grand Prix?) and own a 753 frame with the logo seatstays. It's a left side P, so one assumes it's a Professional.

I have an SLX Corsa Extra frame (or at least originally badged as such and with rifled ST) without logo seatstays. With chromed headlugs. No X, but a left side P. Really a Corsa Extra, or a Professional?

So many combinations of fully, 3/4, half, and partial seat and chainstay chrome.

Is the T on the left side of the BB, or on the right. If left (same area as the 7) I'd also guess TSX. But if it's on the right side? Who knows.
Left side shows 7A (size) with the T directly below it (TSX Century)
Right side shows A with 3038 directly below it, I have no idea what it designates.

Anyway it has the flat crown fork with EM logo on it.
Frame is pretty clean other than grease from hanging in a garage for over 10 years, no dents dings and bottom bracket is very clean which is usually a tell tale of frame condition,no signs of rust.
I'm considering buying it for the parts (campy record drive/suntour pro crankset/wheels so so) then sell the frame.

http://i42.tinypic.com/261i4gn.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cy5dm0.jpg

rccardr
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Keep me in mind.