PDA

View Full Version : indoor trainer music? Carmina Burana

eddief
12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
It's been raining here in Berkeley for a year now. I put the Kogswell on the Cycleops Fluid 2 downloaded Carl Orff's Carmina Burana from itunes and started riding in the living room. Orff must have written it with the bored cyclist in mind. A great piece to lose yourself in while riding in the house.

This version happens to be the remastered Cleveland Orchestra with Michael Tilson Thomas. I think he did one in the mid-70's that sounded better, but this will do.

What's in your stereo?

david
12-22-2005, 06:51 PM
What's in your stereo?

in a playlist called "wattage"

nwa - straight outta compton
chem bros - come with us, it began in africa, orange wedge, the sunshine underground
neil young - the needle
staple singers - i'll take you there
commodores - brick house
the cure - pictures of you
cymande - listen
harry nilson - jump into the fire
the dead - scarlet begonias
humble pie - 30 days in the hole
jane's addiction - jane says, my cat's name is maceo
les mccann, compared to what
stones - torn and frayed
temptations - i can't get next to you, ball of confusion
tower of power - what is hip?
vaughn brothers - hillbillies from outerspace
hendrix - manic depression, still raining still dreaming
x - johnny hit and run pauline, los angeles
beastie boys - no sleep til brooklyn, ricky's theme (great cool down)

davids
12-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Lately? Sleater-Kinney and Outkast.

But now I'm doing single-leg drills that require me to listen to the smoothness of my pedal stroke. So now? nuthin.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 06:42 AM
. . . is doing Carmina in several concerts, including going to Prague next summer to do it with the Prague Symphony. I heard her group do it down in Oneonta at Hartwick College a month or so ago and was totally surprised that I LIKED it. Not what I expected at all.

Does this mean I am getting old and totally dated? :rolleyes:

BBDave

slowgoing
12-23-2005, 06:46 AM
i only use the trainer while watching movies.

Too Tall
12-23-2005, 07:22 AM
David, keep em' coming. Great workout playlist....I'm cloning it!
Hey, I'm kinda interested in this. I've used a mini-disk player for about 5 yrs. Awesome quality but it never caught on. All the cool kids have ipods :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
12-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey, I'm kinda interested in this. I've used a mini-disk player for about 5 yrs. Awesome quality but it never caught on. All the cool kids have ipods :rolleyes:

TooTall,

I used to be a mini-disc guy too, mostly to record a lot of streaming internet radio,
until I got my Mac + Ipod. Now there's http://www.bitcartel.com/radiolover/
Great application for those of us Apple users. I'm sure there's a Windoze program that does a similar thing.

_Gee

david
12-23-2005, 08:33 AM

ipods are good.
my wife, my two boys and i all use itunes to download songs onto one computer so we have a massive library. we then create our own playlists from that library. the cool part is that we all get to sample each other's stuff. suprisingly, there's a lot of crossover.

i bought my son a bose system that the ipod plugs into. it sounds pretty good and doesn't take up much room. also charges the ipod while playing.

i've asked for one for xmas. (fingers crossed)

Bruce K
12-23-2005, 08:50 AM
david;

Some really good stuff there. Also, some reminders of CD's I've got that I haven't listened to in ages (Humble Pie!)

I currently use a CD compiled by my self proclaimed red neck teen ager. Frankly, I didn't know one could be a red neck in Massachusetts, but he loves country music, so...

My play list includes some of the following:

Big and Rich - Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
Keith Urban - anything up tempo
Sugarland - Gotta Be Something More
Kenny Chesney & Uncle Cracker - When the Sun Goes Down
Tobey Keith - Mexico

plus some of the older Springsteen from the Born to Run and Born in the USA albums

BK

andy mac
12-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Lately? Sleater-Kinney and Outkast.

But now I'm doing single-leg drills that require me to listen to the smoothness of my pedal stroke. So now? nuthin.

i used to work with janet, the drummer from slater kinney, before she was a rock star. great girl. glad her stuff is being heard. new album is getting good reviews.

i've been listening to 'the streets' again lately. brilliant english guy with catchy lyrics and hooks. if you have teens or 20, 30 somethings or just a sense of humor check 'em out.

cheers,

andy.

pale scotsman
12-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Modest Mouse - Good news for people who love bad news.

davids
12-23-2005, 11:06 AM
i used to work with janet, the drummer from slater kinney, before she was a rock star. great girl. glad her stuff is being heard. new album is getting good reviews.
Janet makes the band. If you still know her, tell her I said so. Drummers never get enough credit!

Before she joined, I found their stuff fairly generic musically (although any band of Riot Grrls who could write a lyric like "I Wanna be your Joey Ramone" is clearly worth paying attention to!) From "Dig Me Out" onward, S-K is pretty much untouchable.

The new one, "The Woods" is great - noisy and passionate.

http://pubsociology.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/sleater_img_01.jpg

Jeff N.
12-23-2005, 12:37 PM
If you liked Carmina Burana, check out (ex-Doors keyboardist)Ray Manzarek's CD of the same title, and see how he handles it. Jeff N.

flydhest
12-23-2005, 12:43 PM
ipods are good.
my wife, my two boys and i all use itunes to download songs onto one computer so we have a massive library. we then create our own playlists from that library. the cool part is that we all get to sample each other's stuff. suprisingly, there's a lot of crossover.

i bought my son a bose system that the ipod plugs into. it sounds pretty good and doesn't take up much room. also charges the ipod while playing.

i've asked for one for xmas. (fingers crossed)

The wife got me an Ipod for the birthday and a Klipsch speaker system to go with it. If you're considering the Bose, check out the Klipsch as well.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=961

Serpico
12-23-2005, 01:16 PM
davids, bro imho heaven's to betsy was a better than sleater kinney

belle & sebastian
blonde redhead
boards of canada
colleen
fischerspooner
ladytron
misfits
neko case
chemical bros
wilco
sonic youth
interpol
air
pixies
amon tobin
gillian welch

davids
12-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Serpico,

Given your list, I'd say we have about 50% operlap. So, I'll just have to respect your opinion! But, you know, sometimes maturity is a good thing...

Serpico
12-23-2005, 01:24 PM

sometimes maturity is a good thing...

I hope you're talking about the band.

Heaven's to Betsy is just raw and I used to listen to it about 15 years ago (with all that Riot Grrl! and Kill Rock Stars stuff).

I just purchased the CD and still love it, can't say that for most stuff I've tried to "re-listen" to.

Sleater Kinney is hit or miss, imho. Some stuff great, some horrible--rarely in between.

regards

93legendti
12-23-2005, 01:33 PM
ABB -- Live at the Beacon (DVD)
Zep -- How the West Was Won (DVD)
G' Mule -- Deepest End (DVD)

When I get bored with these, which is rarely, I pop in Band Of Brothers.

davids
12-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I hope you're talking about the band.
Well, mostly the band. But beyond that, I'm only speaking for myself. ;)

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2005, 02:49 PM
no music

no videos

just ride the thing

(doof loves son volt cause one of his bands got to open for uncle tupelo a couple of times...and dig doof's ol homies the bottle rockets...doof respects gillian welch's songwriting but hates her for that fake-corn-pone accent she puts on when she sings...it reminds doof of third-rate "irish" bar bands that fake brogues...if she just did that stuff straight, rather than aiming for some time-and-place capsule pefect illusion, she'd be all right)

davids
12-23-2005, 03:17 PM
(doof loves son volt cause one of his bands got to open for uncle tupelo a couple of times...and dig doof's ol homies the bottle rockets...doof respects gillian welch's songwriting but hates her for that fake-corn-pone accent she puts on when she sings...it reminds doof of third-rate "irish" bar bands that fake brogues...if she just did that stuff straight, rather than aiming for some time-and-place capsule pefect illusion, she'd be all right)
Wasn't there some other band that came out of Uncle Tupelo? Hm.

Does anyone here remember Cheri Knight? She was in the Blood Oranges, and then made a fantastic solo album, "The Northeast Kingdom". No fake accents from her - Roots rock about the CT suburbs.

IXXI
12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
gawd do i love the bottle rockets. one of my favrits.

Serpico
12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
uncle tupelo--> son volt & wilco --> jay farrar's solo career

whiskeytown--> ryan adams (not sure about this guy yet), and Welch did some stuff with them

I liked Welch's Time The Revelator, but haven't had a chance to listen to the new disc

Uncle Tupelo is from around here, St. Louis--but I wasn't living here at the time

farrar is a genius, imho

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Wasn't there some other band that came out of Uncle Tupelo? Hm.

Does anyone here remember Cheri Knight? She was in the Blood Oranges, and then made a fantastic solo album, "The Northeast Kingdom". No fake accents from her - Roots rock about the CT suburbs.

somewhere the doof's ol bud tommy o'donnell has a reel-to-reel of doof and jeff tweedy doing a crappy version of "sweet virginia" in tommy's living room at about 4am, july 1990...food always dug jay's stuff though...doof is a brooding acolyte of the overdriven p-90 and class a amp...

anyway, doof's man van's man roscoe, who loves the fixie, did knight's album...she kicks butt good like the backsliders when they still had steve and brad on guitar....

doof's lame musical efforts hit their peak when ryan told him "your songs are half genius, half ****"

name-dropping finished for today

Frankwurst
12-25-2005, 07:55 AM
J.J.Cale,Van Morrison,Aimee Mann, New York Rock and Soul Review, Little Feet,Sonia DaDa,Wallflowers,The Band,John Prine,.......The list goes on and on and on

bostondrunk
12-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Ma latest ipod list:

Land of Confusion - Disturbed
Count on Me - Default
DOA - Foo Fighters
Talk - Coldplay
Just Like You - Three Days Grace
Photograph - Nickelback
Downfall - Trust Company
Wake Me Up... - Greenday
Stars - Switchfoot
Good Times - Tommy Lee
Pretty Vegas - INXS (not really liking this one....soon to be removed....)
Take a Picture - Filter
Little Sister - Queens of the Stoneage
Best of You - Foo Fighters
Load Me Up - Matt Good

SManning
12-26-2005, 04:52 PM
. . . is doing Carmina in several concerts, including going to Prague next summer to do it with the Prague Symphony. I heard her group do it down in Oneonta at Hartwick College a month or so ago and was totally surprised that I LIKED it. Not what I expected at all.

Does this mean I am getting old and totally dated? :rolleyes:

BBDave

No, enjoying Carmina Burana doesn't mean you're getting old and dated; it just means you have great taste in music. Carmina is a beatifully written piece of music with wonderful percussion parts. Ask your daughter about the translation of the text. It's actually very risque; especially considering when the poems were written.

Here's a link that thas the translations from the Latin into English for each portion of the piece. It's very interesting.

http://www.tylatin.org/extras/index.html

Fixed
12-26-2005, 05:01 PM
bro it's miles davis .mccoy tyner herbie hancock wayne shorter , joe henderson all before the 80's mostly cheers :beer:

spiderlake
12-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Uncle Tupelo (Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar) broke up and spawned Wilco (Tweedy) and Son Volt (Farrar). Wilco has achieved far more commercial success which seems a bit ironic given Tweedy's position (more backseat to Farrar than anything) in UT. While I love everything UT, I always preferred Tweedy's lyrics and vocals to Farrar's and that is still the case today. Wilco, imho, is a superior band but I also own everything by Son Volt to include Farrar's solo work. Never got to see UT but I have seen both Wilco and SV in concert. I'm jealous Doof actually knows them and got to jam with them. How cool is that??

In my iPod:

Arctic Monkeys - Keep your eye on this band. Their album is going to be released in January and I predict they will break HUGE in the US. Great riffs, awesome energy and they seem to have a real presence about them that just says "watch us, we rock"...... They have gotten a lot of buzz in England and their live stuff that I have downloaded is amazing!

Poi Dog Pondering - PDP is just awesome! I never get tired of their music.

Old 97's - While I prefer their "older" stuff, their last album is almost a throwback to their early days. Nothing beats "Too Far to Care" from '97. Saw these guys in Grand Rapids a few years back with Slobberbone as the opening act. Drank way too much with Brent Best after the show and had to sleep in my truck. It should be noted, I was not yet back into biking during this period of my life nor was I married!

The Shins - another really great band.

Hem - I think Rabbit Songs is their best album. If you have never heard of this band, do yourself a favor and check them out. Sally Ellyson's vocals are out of this world.

I have a ton more but those are my "most played" bands in the last month!

gary135r
12-26-2005, 11:28 PM
in a playlist called "wattage"

nwa - straight outta compton
chem bros - come with us, it began in africa, orange wedge, the sunshine underground
neil young - the needle
staple singers - i'll take you there
commodores - brick house
the cure - pictures of you
cymande - listen
harry nilson - jump into the fire
the dead - scarlet begonias
humble pie - 30 days in the hole
jane's addiction - jane says, my cat's name is maceo
les mccann, compared to what
stones - torn and frayed
temptations - i can't get next to you, ball of confusion
tower of power - what is hip?
vaughn brothers - hillbillies from outerspace
hendrix - manic depression, still raining still dreaming
x - johnny hit and run pauline, los angeles
beastie boys - no sleep til brooklyn, ricky's theme (great cool down)
cool :beer:

Too Tall
12-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Fly, read this review of the Klipsch Belles...esp. the bit on "The Khmer Rouge Hates Paul W. Klipsch". Gives a good feel for the passion folks have about the company. Dewd, school me on the ipod. I'm thinking about it.
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/5719/belle.html

William
12-27-2005, 06:37 AM
Fly, read this review of the Klipsch Belles...esp. the bit on "The Khmer Rouge Hates Paul W. Klipsch". Gives a good feel for the passion folks have about the company. Dewd, school me on the ipod. I'm thinking about it.
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/5719/belle.html

http://www.beware-of-art.com/images/journal/2004/08/HAL/hal-600.jpg

Hello Too Tall.
HAL has many ipods as friends and thinks that it would be positive for you to become friends with one.
BTW, Dread Zepplin tickles the circuts when running diagnostics. ;)

HAL

Ti Designs
12-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Too Tall,

I just read the review of the Klipsch Belles, some things never change. Efficiency numbers that you only see in Piazo horn drivers and that "punch you in the face" sound that I've come to expect from them. I'm still not sure if that's good or bad, just very different. I'm of two minds when it comes to music. As a musician I need to hear detail, so those ear buds that grow out of some people's ears would drive me nuts. On the other hand, sitting on the trainer isn't the time to be listening to every note, the music becomes more of a timing signal. In my studio I have a pair of Tannoy near-field monitors which do OK, when I need to hear more there's a pair of AGK 240's. In the basement by the trainer I have a crap set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers with their big powered sub - that timing signal comes with some thump. As for the music itself, it's any CD I take down with me. Last week it was the Love Dogs, a local swing band. Upstairs I catagorize the music by type, downstairs I have good base mileage music, good interval music and stuff that just makes you want to get off the bike...

MartyE
12-27-2005, 10:09 AM
no highs no lows it must be Boze. . .
Back when I first started getting into audio stuff
I was looking at Klipsch Belles or Heresy speakers
Heard a pair of Allison I and that was all she wrote, high
watts here I come.
I find that horn loaded speakers for the most part are
strident and harsh, I prefer a smoother note thus my
Sonus Fabers.

playlist?
whatever happens to be in the player at the time
and sonics make no difference when I'm riding, as
Ti Designs says its all about the thump.

marty

davids
12-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Uncle Tupelo (Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar) broke up and spawned Wilco (Tweedy) and Son Volt (Farrar). Wilco has achieved far more commercial success which seems a bit ironic given Tweedy's position (more backseat to Farrar than anything) in UT. While I love everything UT, I always preferred Tweedy's lyrics and vocals to Farrar's and that is still the case today. Wilco, imho, is a superior band but I also own everything by Son Volt to include Farrar's solo work. Never got to see UT but I have seen both Wilco and SV in concert. I'm jealous Doof actually knows them and got to jam with them. How cool is that??
I was trying, too subtlly I suppose, to make that point above... And I agree with your assessment. Son Volt is a very good band. Wilco, at its best, is a great, great band. "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" being the proofs.

Poi Dog Pondering - PDP is just awesome! I never get tired of their music.
I haven't listened to them in years! I just love "Wood Guitar"! I didn't know they were still around.
The Shins - another really great band.
Absolutely. "Oh, Inverted World" is a very special record. "Chutes too Narrow" is damn good, too!

Loro_tomas
12-27-2005, 11:44 AM
TRY TOOL

spiderlake
12-27-2005, 12:45 PM
I haven't listened to them in years! I just love "Wood Guitar"! I didn't know they were still around.

I think they are playing the Vic in Chicago on NYE. They did a "best of" album earlier this year. Great, no, INCREDIBLE band live but I'll be the first to admit their studio releases don't capture the true essence of the band.