PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I´m a newbie (kind'a)....

Catulle
12-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm new to the forum but I'm hesitant to identify myself as a newbie because for some reason I originally registered as 13 years old or less when I'm actually 56. It took some doing to straighten that out but for some time it felt very strange to be kept out of the forum for being 13 or less.

Anyways, now that I have the privilege to post, I'd like to thank the good people at Serotta for allowing me to be here and for keeping this place for us cyclists (young and old) to enjoy. And thank all of you old timers for reading this post and for being patient with me.

The purpose of this post, nevertheless, is to ask what in your opinion is the best road bike magazine sold in the US. I live in Central America but I can manage to get subscriptions to magazines sold in the US, and I would like to start getting one or two road bike specific mags.

Thank you in advance for your help. I hope I'll be able to post a picture of my two bicycles (Colnago C-40 and Cinelli Corsa).

DSCO2584.JPG

MRB
12-22-2005, 06:09 PM
what in your opinion is the best road bike magazine sold in the US.
DSCO2584.JPG

Welcome to the board. It sounds like you have two very nice bikes at different ends of the spectrum.

As far as rags go, Vintage Bicycle Quarterly and Asphault are both tops on my list, if you are into traditional things. To stay current on racing scene, I guess Velo News is popular.

- M

1centaur
12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
You should more closely define what you want from the magazine. Some focus on racing (VeloNews, with some emphasis on U.S. racing; CycleSport, with more emphasis on Euro racing) while Bicycling is more a general interest magazine that many hardened veterans scoff at (but is sometimes enjoyable). Also, you should consider magazines that ship to the U.S., like procycling (focuses on racing, mostly Euro) and CyclingPlus, an English magazine that is considered the best general cycling mag by many but has some English-centric brands and stories that won't matter much to non-Brits. I subscribe to all these magazine and enjoy them all.

Serpico
12-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Catulle, welcome to the forum

I'm pretty new here as well :beer:

Climb01742
12-22-2005, 06:30 PM
i second the recommendation of british mags that ship here. cyclingplus and procycling are ones i like. velonews is the u.s. pub i find most enjoyable. and welcome!

Catulle
12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
A few years ago, I remember seeing a US magazine that had a format almost identical to Bicycling but that had a sub-title that read something like "the magazine for the roadie", or "the magazine for the road bike enthusiast" or something of that nature. I liked that magazine very much.

Actually, I'm looking for a general interest road bike magazine; I guess something akin to Bicycling but only dealing with road bikes. Some of the specialized magazines seem to deal only with racing and races, some of which are pretty obscure. A road bike magazine covering bicycles, races, racers, components, the industry, custom makers, a bit of all, I guess, would be great.

Thank you.

YO!!!
12-22-2005, 07:11 PM
That mag was probably Bicycle Guide and later Bicyclist.
Stopped publication in the mid to late 90s.

Fixed
12-22-2005, 08:22 PM
bro anybody remember winning? cheers

Steve Hampsten
12-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Hola amigo!

Is this Juan Mendez from Panama? Andy sends his greetings as well - welcome to Serottaland.

Bicycle Guide was terrific; ProCycling and Cycle Sport are both good; Cycling Weekly from the UK is good; Asphalt (when they publish) and VBQ are great: RIDE from Australia is fun, too.

Enjoy your new c-50.

Best wishes and happy holidays to all

Catulle
12-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Thank you so much for your response. If you ever happen to drop by my neck of the woods the beer and chow is on me.

By the way, the new bike has the Cristallo frame. Again, thanks.

shinomaster
12-22-2005, 11:52 PM

I grew up reading Winning! I still have a whole stack with Gianno Bugno Charlie Mottet and Morizio Fondriest. :banana: :banana:

William
12-23-2005, 04:33 AM
I'm new to the forum

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

Anyone remember Road Bike Action? Basically reviews of bikes & components with some technique articles thrown in. I picked up some good tips from that mag back then.

William

kestrel
12-23-2005, 06:41 AM

That reminds me, I'll have to dig out my old "Winning" license plate holder (Black and Yellow). Does anyone have one of those?

Sandy
12-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Thank you so much for your response. If you ever happen to drop by my neck of the woods the beer and chow is on me.

By the way, the new bike has the Cristallo frame. Again, thanks.

I need your address! " The beer and chow is on me." Bless you, newbie! I don't drink, but the chow part is mighty inviting. So, for how long is there free chow, and how much can I eat?? :rolleyes: :)

Welcome to the forum!!

Sandy

OldDog
12-23-2005, 07:22 AM

I wish I still had the issue of Winning with Lemond on the cover racing down the boardwalk in Atlantic City during the Tour Du Pont. I was in the backround holding my boy up on my shoulders. It's here in the castle somewhere....

Fixed
12-23-2005, 07:41 AM
That reminds me, I'll have to dig out my old "Winning" license plate holder (Black and Yellow). Does anyone have one of those? bro my wife has one on her car cheers :beer: