PDA

View Full Version : Bike trip - ship it or check it

cuda2k
07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Alright, trying to talk myself into bringing the Kirk up to Montana in September, as it is only fitting since the main reason for the trip is the Kirk/Strong party. However between the cost of shipping it round trip and/or the thought of TSA taking apart the packing and leaving the cassette rubbing against the downtube or something has my head spinning.

The plan is to borrow a Trico Iron-Case from a friend, and I'm flying Frontier so the case should go as a checked bag with no additional fees with my ticket as it was purchased. Or I could shell out what will probably come to a couple more bills to FedEx the case round trip up to Dave's and know the chances of someone opening up the case and mucking about in there is significantly less.

Thoughts, experiences, horror stories to share?

Louis
07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
For the GdB a few years ago I sent mine to the hotel via UPS / Fed Ex (can't remember which one) then shipped it back to St Louis.

Only negative was that at some point they dropped the box (Trico Iron Case) which caused the frame to slip down and smack the big ring hard enough into the side of the case to bend it a bit.

The other slight negative is that it was a bit of a hassle for a short trip. If possible, I'd maximize my visit time & riding to further justify the effort.

firerescuefin
07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Have flown with bike numerous times with them...wouldn't hesitate to do so again.:)

Alright, trying to talk myself into bringing the Kirk up to Montana in September, as it is only fitting since the main reason for the trip is the Kirk/Strong party. However between the cost of shipping it round trip and/or the thought of TSA taking apart the packing and leaving the cassette rubbing against the downtube or something has my head spinning.

The plan is to borrow a Trico Iron-Case from a friend, and I'm flying Frontier so the case should go as a checked bag with no additional fees with my ticket as it was purchased. Or I could shell out what will probably come to a couple more bills to FedEx the case round trip up to Dave's and know the chances of someone opening up the case and mucking about in there is significantly less.

Thoughts, experiences, horror stories to share?

HenryA
07-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Ship it.
Your trip will be much nicer not having to deal with the bike at the airports and knowing that your stuff is there waiting for you.

I used to fly with photo lighting gear and knowing that my stuff was on location or in a Fedex office waiting for me completely unmolested was priceless. Getting to a job and opening a big trunk case I had checked and seeing the TSA card was very scary. They do not repack with much care.

cuda2k
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
For the GdB a few years ago I sent mine to the hotel via UPS / Fed Ex (can't remember which one) then shipped it back to St Louis.

Only negative was that at some point they dropped the box (Trico Iron Case) which caused the frame to slip down and smack the big ring hard enough into the side of the case to bend it a bit.

The other slight negative is that it was a bit of a hassle for a short trip. If possible, I'd maximize my visit time & riding to further justify the effort.

Going for 9 days, not sure how many of those I'll be riding, but I there will be at least a couple of rides as well as plenty of hiking and sight seeing as well.

45K10
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I have flown with my bike quite a few times and never hand any problems with TSA taking anything apart. I have noticed that customs will take the stem off to I assume look internally but since you are flying domestically that should not be a problem.

Good deal with Frontier not charging an additional bike fee. I flew down to Colorado this past weekend and got charged $150 each way by Delta.

Knock on wood I haven't had any damage so far to any of the bikes I have flown with and I use a soft-shell Pika case.

Other than the occasional outrageous bike fee I prefer flying with my bike rather than shipping it. If it were me I would definitely fly with it.

killacks
07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
...I recently read this and it seems relevant to your question (http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2013/07/notes-on-air-travel-with-a-bicycle/#more-60591)

Dromen
07-31-2013, 02:47 AM
My Thule box innerds are always discombobulated after the flight - the last 6 trips. TSA customer service and i are currently playing phone tag to discuss recent condition of return shipment from Denver.(loose internal and external straps, loose parts removed from bag and random electrolite tabs rattling around box). This is pretty typical for me.

If you are shipping a valued member of your stable, I wouldn't even consider the airlines to save a buck. Check out insurance also..... I have never gotten a really straight answer as to the coverage from the airlines for my over priced replacement costs for a custom bike?

I get that TSA has a job to do and I value their service in making the skies relatively safe, but they need to behave more responsibly and respectively.

gearmeister
07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
For an upcoming trip to france we are renting bikes which will be cheaper than shipping or packing it... also an anticipated reduced hassle (we hope).. The fees charged are sometimes outrageous and sometimes charged sometimes not depending on the check in agent. For most of our group the additional costs with the rental of a travel bike box and purchase of additional cassettes to handle the steep slopes made the option of renting quite appealing... In addition we would have had to rent a much larger vehicle to accomodate the 4 bike boxes, 4 people and their luggage..The rental bikes are high end and while the set up might not be 100% we think the convenience will outway what we considered to be a logistical nightmare.. The proof will be in the pudding... Obviously it depends upon individual circumstances and number of persons ... It all boils down to personal preference in the end.

carpediemracing
07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
I've flown numerous times with my bike, in a soft case. Never had a problem with the actual bike although twice the airline had to deliver my bike because they misplaced it (once international, once domestic).

For me I want to know if the bike is there and okay when I land. I don't want to get to my destination without knowing. Also watching the ground crew load it can be reassuring - I taped my bike being loaded multiple times and each time they treated the bike with respect.

With the TSA I offer to open the bike case up when I drop off the bike. They've checked it a few times while I stood on the other side of the walled-off table (looks like an operating table). If they need help zipping it up I give them tips.

Since I pack my bike pretty well it's pretty disassembled. Never had a problem, even when I pack a floor pump that has an unfinished-edge base, i.e. one that gouges everything within range.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/SZDkMHmtwVI/AAAAAAAABss/dutEm6zjuQY/s800/100_4552.JPG

I've used the bag to fly with two pairs of wheels (one set Jets so carbon fairing), two helmets, a bit of clothing, tools, floor pump, even a (short) bike with an integrated seat post (which is something like 60cm c-t so close to a tall frame size). The bikes have been aluminum, carbon, and alum/carbon, virtually all with carbon forks (at the beginning alum forks).

jmoore
07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
FedEx.

bambam
07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Check with airline and TSA maximums on total loss.
I think South west max is only 800. Always assume TSA will open and will not care as much about repacking.
Wrap tubes because they will just throw stuff in and you could end up with lots of scuffs from loose objects.
When you remove the Rear Derailler from the bike wrap and tie it to the frame so that it is not loose.
Make sure the bolts are between the fork ends.

Options that I do are to take pictures of how its packed and leave them in the case along with a phone number. This could be helpful for TSA and you when repacking.
Also ziptie the buckles and include extra zipties inside the case. Handlers will grab them. (you may want to position them and not fasten them untill you know TSA will not be opening it)

I would ship back and maybe ahead as well depending on how much lead time you have just to avoid TSA. Here, they alway open it up. Shipping also makes destination travel easier. You don't have to worry about getting the case in a cetain vehicle.

Have Fun