PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record 11 Rear Brake Bolt too short- [SOLVED]

sean
07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
I have a 2006ish Cinelli spirit that I'm attempting to put 2009 record 11 on.

Everything has gone well (aiside from normal campy quirks) except for the rear brake. The center bolt is too short.

Now you might think that I would just get a longer brake nut, no dice. There is a smaller diameter, thicker section in the frame to allow for the centerbolt, then a recessed bit for the nut. The center bolt isn't long enough to go beyond the smaller diameter hole to make contact with the brake bolt.

Can you swap centerbolts to get longer ones? Am I missing something? Any help here would be great.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I have a 2006ish Cinelli spirit that I'm attempting to put 2009 record 11 on.

Everything has gone well (aiside from normal campy quirks) except for the rear brake. The center bolt is too short.

Now you might think that I would just get a longer brake nut, no dice. There is a smaller diameter, thicker section in the frame to allow for the centerbolt, then a recessed bit for the nut. The center bolt isn't long enough to go beyond the smaller diameter hole to make contact with the brake bolt.

Can you swap centerbolts to get longer ones? Am I missing something? Any help here would be great.

I'd say there is paint in there not allowing the nut to go far enough in there..get a ream and clean it out or start the nut and give it a wack.

bicycletricycle
07-30-2013, 06:02 PM
sounds impossible, unless the bridge was mismachined. have a pick?

ultraman6970
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Dremel the bolt/nut? Always you can get a longer nut/bolt... if its too long just cut it.

donevwil
07-30-2013, 06:44 PM
I'd say there is paint in there not allowing the nut to go far enough in there..get a ream and clean it out or start the nut and give it a wack.

Not the same frame, but I've had exactly this experience on two builds, one new, never been built and one older, had Campy 10. Campy 11 recessed nuts must be ever-so-slightly larger than older examples. I used an appropriately sized drill bit in my fingers to do just what oldpotatoe suggested.

Black Dog
07-30-2013, 06:59 PM
If it is the way the hole is machined (with two diameters) and not a paint build up, just run a drill bit in the back of the hole that is the same diameter of the hole. Drill this hole deeper and you should then be able to get it to work. You may not be able to get a regular drill in such a tight space. If not, rent a right angle drill (plumbers and electricians use them to put holes in studs to run pipe and wire) from you local building centre or tool rental location.

chismog
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Nevermind.

choke
07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
If you're reluctant to try to modify the frame, one option is to run a front brake on the rear. The bolt on it should be more than long enough.

sean
07-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks all.

Solved. No room for drill or hammer, so took a small file and deburred/reamed the inside of the recessed hole. Then I used a Long M5 nut and some spacers to "pull" the recessed nut into the frame. Worked like a charm.