PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington Hillclimb 2006, Who's going?

Ginger
12-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Fess up!

For the first time in a long time I've set a cycling goal. The Mt. Washington hill climb...I've seen others post up about doing the hill climb before and some people mentioned that they will be there in 2006, but I was wondering...
"So, who else is going?"

BruceK and I have kicked around the idea of a forum gathering in the Mt. Washington area that weekend (there is a century along with the hill climb that weekend...something for everyone!)

I have my coach and my plan and I'm already doing the hamster thing on my indoor trainer because, well...I have a long way to go to hit my time goal at Mt. Washington.

2006 Race Date: Saturday, August 19. Weather date: Sunday, August 20, 2006.

http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/index.cfm

Registration will open on Feb 1, 2006 at 6:00 a.m. for the 34th Annual Volkswagen Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb!
FEES: From Feb 1 - Feb 28: $300 for individuals and $450 for tandems.
March 1 - until the race sells out: $200 for individuals and $300
for tandems.

Practice Ride date is Sunday, July 9, 2006 and is limited to 300 riders. This is a non-supported ride. you will register for the Practice Ride on line through Bikereg.com. Registration will become available when the Hillclimb sells out. First come first serve. $35.00 entry for non-racers and free to registered Hillclimb racers.

CENTURY RIDE (obviously, the dates haven't been updated since 2005...):
Tin Mountain Conservation Center MT. Washington Century FAQ's

What is the Tin Mountain Conservation Center Mt. Washington Century?
The Tin Mountain Mt. Washington Century Ride is a supported 40 mile, 80 mile and of course the 100-mile ride around the base of Mt. Washington.
The Tin Mountain Conservation Center furthers environmental education for children & adults in the Mt. Washington Valley area. TMCC is located in Conway NH .

When and where will the ride take place?
The Century will begin and end at the Mt. Washington Auto Road at Great Glen In Pinkham Notch (The same location as the VW Mt. Washington Auto Road Hillclimb). The ride will take place on Sunday, August 21 2005, the day after the Hillclimb.

vandeda
12-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Climb had a thread going awhile ago asking if any forumites were interested in doing the Mt. Washington Hill climb for 2006 ... if i had time, I'd look up the thread, but I gotta head out ...

But, I plan on going personally.

Dan

Doc Hollywood
12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
it will cost you $300. Don't think you can wait until the price drops to $200. Last year it sold out in the first 18 days or so never reaching the $200 time period.

Start applying for those equity lines now.

Doc

Dr. Doofus
12-22-2005, 04:36 PM
is there a race down it?

doof is there

(can't wait to pick NE gravel out of skin)

Doc Hollywood
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
is there a race down it?

doof is there

(can't wait to pick NE gravel out of skin)

Can you imagine that?

100+ riders per group all up near the Tip Top House (Mt. Washington Summit) lined up raring for the all out sprint to get the hole shot down the twisty 22% pitch 200 foot section of the auto road. Bodies would be everywhere.

I'd pay $300 just to watch that.

Doc

A race down would still probably take 30 minutes for the 8 miles just because you are constantly on your brakes because of the steepness and there are like 60 or so turns in between the short straight sections.

ergott
12-22-2005, 05:34 PM
If I go, it would be for the practice run for $25. Keep in mind that with the practice run, you are going up with the cars. I thought that would be bad, but it turned out to be a great thing. You can have your driver pull over a few times to take pics of the carnage on the way up. This also leave open the possibility of having cloths in the car in case the weather changes at the treeline or you have a mechanical. Just ask Climb. I'm sure he would have loved to have a little help on the way up.

This is the best idea for a group ride and especially for first timers. Don't forget to drive to the summit the day before so you have an idea of how to pace the climb. You want to time it? Use your HRM or whatever. You will be counting minutes, not seconds. Actually you won't be counting anything. You will be praying for it all to END!!!

Climb01742
12-22-2005, 05:37 PM
i'm there. i'd dig some pals.

ergott
12-22-2005, 05:48 PM
A race down would still probably take 30 minutes for the 8 miles just because you are constantly on your brakes because of the steepness and there are like 60 or so turns in between the short straight sections.

It would take a lot longer than that for all those ambulances and helicopters to get the bodies off the course!

Bruce K
12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Ginger;

I would have to double check, but I think the Sunflower Revolution was the same weekend as Mt. Washington last year.

If there IS a conflict this year, I will think of you fondly and send positive climbing vibes your way while I am in Cincinatti raisng money for the DPF (shameless plug :rolleyes: , and donation requests coming your way soon ;) ).

If there is no conflict, I'm in for support vehicle duty on the climb, plus, the Sunday ride sounds like fun.

BK

Ray
12-22-2005, 06:38 PM
One of my goals this year is to NOT do the Mt. Washington hill climb. It's one goal I'm almost certain to reach!

Have fun,

-Ray

kkasper4
12-22-2005, 08:03 PM
While I read the forum regulary, I rarely post. At any point, I plan on being at Mt Washington next summer (1st time). I'll be warming up with the Death Ride, RAMROD, and Mt Shasta in the 6 weeks leading up to Mt. Washington. Hopefully I (and my marriage) will survive next summer.

My planned ride for Mt Washington will be my C50 (record components) with a 13-26 in the rear and a Shimano MTB crank (22 or 24) up front. I would appreciate any thoughts on this set-up from those with experience with this climb.

pale scotsman
12-22-2005, 08:07 PM
One of my goals this year is to NOT do the Mt. Washington hill climb. It's one goal I'm almost certain to reach!

Have fun,

-Ray

Me too!

david
12-22-2005, 08:14 PM
i'm interested.
have been ever since reading climb's description.
have to get fit.
down to 160 from 188.
used to climb mt.diablo no problem, but i weighed 142.
diablo ain't no washington.
yeah, i gotta get fit.
respeck.

Climb01742
12-22-2005, 08:23 PM
My planned ride for Mt Washington will be my C50 (record components) with a 13-26 in the rear and a Shimano MTB crank (22 or 24) up front. I would appreciate any thoughts on this set-up from those with experience with this climb.

speaking generally, that gearing should be good. you may want to consider giving yourself a 29 on the casette, just in case. common wisdom is at least a 1:1 ratio, though a bit more sure can't hurt. just imagine your toughest climb, then multiple it. :beer:

Ginger
12-22-2005, 08:42 PM
I just need a ride down from the top. :-)

Yep David, that's why I'm doing it. Down to 147 from 170, on my way to 127 for next summer. But I can't climb for anything...descend just fine, but I "ain't got no up". Training for MT. Washington should cure that.
:banana:

Ray and the Pale one: I don't suspect this will be "fun" in the regular sense of the word, but it might be...I'm a sick chick.

Climb:
I'm riding the Kirk with my coach's Zipp/powertap wheels, (they're still lighter than my campy's).
I'm probably keeping my 13/29 in the rear and moving to a compact with a 30 on the front...although I might be throwing on a mountain bike triple on that baby without the big ring...just the granny (maybe a 22) and the middle...we'll see.
And I'm getting lighter weight shoes. And dropping 20lbs...and riding lots of hills beforehand.

Hey...on the practice run, if you're riding "up" with the cars, do you get to ride back down???

Bruce, if we can't get you out for the actual hill climb, maybe we can get a crew together for the practice run? I remember the scheduling conflicts last summer...but I don't know what overlapped what. I do know that the Davis Phinney thing was before the Giro di Bozeman...

ergott
12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey...on the practice run, if you're riding "up" with the cars, do you get to ride back down???

Not a chance!

Ginger
12-22-2005, 08:47 PM
But that's where the fun is. I'll go up just about any hill to get to the down on the other side. :)

Actually...I think this is the first hill that I'll climb that I know beforehand there is no down on the other side... :(

ergott
12-22-2005, 09:24 PM
But that's where the fun is. I'll go up just about any hill to get to the down on the other side. :)

Actually...I think this is the first hill that I'll climb that I know beforehand there is no down on the other side... :(

Just think of it as the hill with no downside!!

dirtdigger88
12-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Ginger-

Thats a great goal to have- We're behind you 100%- Let us know what its like- ;)

Jason

Climb01742
12-23-2005, 05:46 AM
ginger, a word about gearing...during the race, you'll shift gears once. the first 100-200 yards are flat, then boom, 7+ miles of straight up. so figure out what chainring works for you with your 29. until i blew-up, i was in my 33-30 (with a 33-34 left). it really is a one gear race. just gotta find that one! :beer:

ps: having a powertap wheel would be very good, i think. i blew up by not wisely pacing myself. with a powertap, you can set a target watt output and objectively pace yourself. pacing is key on MW.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 06:48 AM
. . . but for me, I‘ve already got enough other scheduled rides filling up the summer. 2 MS rides, Open House weekend, Ti Ride in Lake George. MAYBE the Highlander (Oh, let’s be honest! The Midlander) Century in August.

Plus, $300 just to ride up the mountain is just out of line to me. I can find plenty of big hills to ride up for a challenge that don’t cost $300. (I hope you at least get a T-shirt for that price, though.)

BBDave

Tom
12-23-2005, 07:34 AM
for the organizers. That hill's unlike any other challenge you're going to do, at least around these parts.

Climb01742
12-23-2005, 08:22 AM
the race price reflects a few things, i think: how hard it is to organize and run an event in such challenging conditions/terrain; how well they run it--they really do a great job; and lastly, the event is also a fundraiser for tin mountain conservancy, a good cause.

Ginger
12-23-2005, 09:24 AM
It's a fundraiser for a non-profit conservation center. (From their donation site: All contributions are tax deductible Tin Mountain Conservation Center is a 501©3 organization.) I can raise my entry fee through pledges (difficult for me here in Michigan...people here don't even know where Mt. Washington is. If anyone would like to donate to the cause, contact me!)

Of course, if you have any end-of-year tax money *this year*, the place to donate is the Michigan Mountain Biking Associations, a non-profit mountain bike advocacy organization. mmba.org

That said, Tin Mountain seems to have a good set of programs I feel pretty good about supporting:

Environmental Education in the Schools
The major focus of Tin Mountain is the environmental education programs in the local schools. These programs include our 51 hour September to June Environmental Studies Program; Forests For the Future courses at junior highs in Tamworth and Fryeburg; Project KITE in the Fryeburg elementary and middle schools; teacher workshops, school-wide projects, extra hour programs, field trips, and special projects.

Our Environmental Studies Program offers weekly classes for students in grade 3 at four elementary schools (grades 2-6 at one other) in the Mt. Washington Valley. Three teacher/naturalists work closely with classroom teachers on developing, coordinating and evaluating activities throughout the school year. It is recognized as the backbone of our school programs because it allows our teacher/naturalists to work closely with the same children each week for the school year, providing in-depth instruction and curriculum support.

The Extra Hours Program in 4 elementary schools provides teachers with Tin Mountain time to use in a variety of ways including field trips, helping identify resources and materials, and doing special projects such as recycling or river studies.

Project KITE, Kids In The Environment, is a multi-disciplinary program for grades K-7 in the Fryeburg schools. Each unit was developed by Tin Mountain to support science curriculum while focusing on such natural resources as the Saco River, the White Mountains, the forests, and area wildlife. Tin Mountain works closely with teachers, assisting them as they cover these units with their students. A Tin Mountain naturalist also makes classroom visits and leads a field trip for each class.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 09:26 AM
. . . had nothing to do with any criticism of the organizers or whatever charity they are endorsing. I stand by my point--for ME, $300 is out of line for what I feel I can justifiably afford right now. There are things with a better return that I can spend my $300 on. I can find plenty of big hills to ride up for free.

BBD

Ginger
12-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Ah Dave...then you're not going...are you.
:-)

We're sad you won't be there to cheer us on.

billrick
12-23-2005, 09:37 AM
I won't be there to cheer you on, so I'll give you a cheer now: Go, Ginger, go!

I do like the idea of going on the record with goals for next year. My goals:

- Deerfield Dirt Road Rando (MA)

- Hotter 'n Heck 100 (TX)

- Shenandoah Mountain 100 (VA)

Too Tall
12-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Bill, considering my past and your present tell me why we've never trained together???? Krikey. The Deefield ride is on my list next yr. too.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 12:11 PM
. . . I'll be happy to cheer you on. I'm also sure it's a worthy charity. But I am already committed to two different MS rides, one as a ride committee member and route planner. That's where my charity dollars and time go.

As an aside, I believe Bob Mionske had an interesting column on Velonews.com this past season dealing with this race and the fact that closure of the road--and charging people to ride up it on the few days of the year they are allowed--is most likely illegal under New Hampshire state law. Seems the auto road is officially a state highway, and it's illegal for a private organization to charge a toll on a state maintained road, or to deny access to any particular class of users--in this case bikes.

BBD

Ginger
12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
See Dave. I know you're an organizer of an MS ride. And you'd really rather people raised money for your organization than for the Tin Mountain Conservancey...and that's good. You're supposed to be that way.
But why don't you go start a thread about riding in MS rides and raising money for your cause instead of hijacking this one??

I was just wondering who was going to Mt. Washington and who was training for it already....And that's what this thread is about...not about how much it costs.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 01:13 PM
That's not what I meant at all, Ginger. Whoever wishes to may ride to raise money for Tin Mountain, the MS Society, or whoever else they wish.

I was also not intending to "highjack" the thread. But sticking strictly to the title of "your" thread, anyone who posts anything other than a "Yes" or "no" answer might be equally considered to be "highjacking" the thread.

Sheesh.

BBDave

Ti Designs
12-23-2005, 01:28 PM
speaking generally, that gearing should be good. you may want to consider giving yourself a 29 on the casette, just in case. common wisdom is at least a 1:1 ratio, though a bit more sure can't hurt.

Not the way I see it. Ask someone who took 2 hours to climb the hill which part didn't hurt - they'll look at you like you're crazy. Taking more time riding the mountain hurts more, or it hurts as much, just longer. The problem with taking too low a gear is that you'll use it.

I was coaching this woman who has done Mt Washington for the last 5 years (Dave, that's $1500 spent on less than 40 miles of riding). She drags me out to Mt Ascutney once in a while, claiming that it's just like Mt Washington but only half the distance. Her friend set her up with a 24t front cog and a 12-34 in the back. She rode the first half in a respectable gear, keeping the power on and setting a good pace. Then on a steep part she shifted down and her time to the top sucked. After that I told her she wasn't allowed to bring that gearing. She gave me the "but what if I can't push that gear all the way up?" line. I told her that her time would still suck and I would owe her a pair of cleats.

Besides, it's December. It's time to work on the motor, not the bike. It's a good idea to know what will work and what needs to be changed on the bike, but too many people read way too much into the bike set-up. One of the reasons they can get away with the $300 entry fee is because it seems cheap next to what a lot of people spend on their bikes for that event.

But what do I know about Mt Washington???

Ginger
12-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Slow day in the newsroom Dave?

Have a Merry Christmas!

Ginger
12-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Ti:

Yes, I agree. Taking too small of gear does encourage its use.

I'm contemplating taking the smaller gear because...well, my knee is only behaving so well right now. I'm not even a year out of ACL surgery...and I want to make it to the top of the mountain. However I don't want to encourage myself to use it.

I have found that if I'm spinning in too low of a gear going up a hill, I'll only do it so long before I get tired of it and shift up (and speed up). I know some people can't do that. Perhaps they have a mental block...but shifting up partway up a hill isn't so bad really...that's partly why I'm happy about the possibility of using a powertap. It should help me pace myself. Left to my own devices I'm more likely to spin some, then shift up and work too hard too early. I need to be able to pace myself in a reasonable manner.

But who knows where my knee will be by June when I really need to decide on gearing...

My coach has me working on the motor: Form mostly.

I'm working on the motor: removing extra weight.

kkasper4
12-23-2005, 01:51 PM
By biggest reasoning for having a 1:1 ratio is for possible slick conditions on an unpaved road. I typically climb standing, and I've yet to find something I can't conquer with a 50/36 up front and 12/25 in the rear, but being forced to stay seated an 18% grade because of rear wheel traction (or lack there of) is something different all together. Regardless of what gearing I use, I have no illusion of spinning up the mountain at a cadence of 80 to 90, rather I'll be mashing at a cadence of 50 to 60.

Ti Designs
12-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Ginger,

Base miles, base miles, base miles... Think of it as a zillion small stress cycles to build the strength of the new ACL attachement point before the real effort begins (and it'll help take the weight off). No skipping steps!!!

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 03:26 PM
You're going to end up hunchbacked if you keep carrying that chip on your shoulder all the way up Mt. Washington.

Have a beer and relax. Or some egg nog. Or SOMEthing . . .

BBD

Sandy
12-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Not the way I see it. Ask someone who took 2 hours to climb the hill which part didn't hurt - they'll look at you like you're crazy. Taking more time riding the mountain hurts more, or it hurts as much, just longer. The problem with taking too low a gear is that you'll use it.

I was coaching this woman who has done Mt Washington for the last 5 years (Dave, that's $1500 spent on less than 40 miles of riding). She drags me out to Mt Ascutney once in a while, claiming that it's just like Mt Washington but only half the distance. Her friend set her up with a 24t front cog and a 12-34 in the back. She rode the first half in a respectable gear, keeping the power on and setting a good pace. Then on a steep part she shifted down and her time to the top sucked. After that I told her she wasn't allowed to bring that gearing. She gave me the "but what if I can't push that gear all the way up?" line. I told her that her time would still suck and I would owe her a pair of cleats.

Besides, it's December. It's time to work on the motor, not the bike. It's a good idea to know what will work and what needs to be changed on the bike, but too many people read way too much into the bike set-up. One of the reasons they can get away with the $300 entry fee is because it seems cheap next to what a lot of people spend on their bikes for that event.

But what do I know about Mt Washington???

I don't really agree with you on this one, although I have great respect for your knowledge on the matter. I think that it is all relative to who is doing the ride, their goal, their level of fitness, power to weight ratio, spinner versus masher (if that even applies going up such a steep clmb),.... I think that for many, a first goal is simply to make it up the climb, irregardless of time. In that case, you want a lower gear so that you CAN use it. You want it because you might simply need it to get the job done. Granted spinning in a lower gear might make the time up the mountain slower, but who cares, if total time is not your concern. The low gear may simply enable you to make the top, period. Without it, you may make decent time, but only up to the point that you are no longer able to turn the cranks, or you are about to stop breathing.

If you are a racer or an accomplished rider who has done the climb before, then a lower gear may not be that important. But if you are disciplined enough, have trained enough, and are good enough to even try that crazy moutain, then no one says that you have to use the lower gear anyway. Use it if you need it. If you don't have it, you can't use it.

A great accomplishment is climbing the mountain, no matter what gear that you use. I am sure that the cyclists that climb the mountain in the fastest times don't have gears that are as low as most on the cllimb, but then again, they don't need gears that low.

Still at the bottom and looking up,

Sandy

manet
12-23-2005, 04:38 PM
send the BEE

http://www.sunnyhill.com/rides/Bumble-Bee.jpg

http://www.jscommdesign.com/dp/The_Queen_Bee.jpg

Sandy
12-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Look at the Bee Lady in the picture. She is riding a Serotta. That should cause quite a buzz on the Serotta forum.

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Mom, is that YOU?!?!

BBD

manet
12-23-2005, 06:33 PM
and now back to our originally scheduled thread _ gingers'
mt. washington training and gear:

http://www.velonews.com/images/report/7699.10467.f.jpg

Ti Designs
12-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't really agree with you on this one, although I have great respect for your knowledge on the matter. I think that it is all relative to who is doing the ride, their goal, their level of fitness, power to weight ratio, spinner versus masher (if that even applies going up such a steep clmb),.... I think that for many, a first goal is simply to make it up the climb, irregardless of time. In that case, you want a lower gear so that you CAN use it. You want it because you might simply need it to get the job done. Granted spinning in a lower gear might make the time up the mountain slower, but who cares, if total time is not your concern. The low gear may simply enable you to make the top, period. Without it, you may make decent time, but only up to the point that you are no longer able to turn the cranks, or you are about to stop breathing.

If you are a racer or an accomplished rider who has done the climb before, then a lower gear may not be that important. But if you are disciplined enough, have trained enough, and are good enough to even try that crazy moutain, then no one says that you have to use the lower gear anyway. Use it if you need it. If you don't have it, you can't use it.

It's not like this mountain just shows up on your route home from work one day. These people all know they are doing it (just look for the $300 hit on their bank statement). Jumping in with both feet like that means you show up at the bottom of the hill ready to climb. So we're back to two facts. 1) everybody uses the lowest gear you have on the bike - that mountain just does that to you. 2) you could gear down and take 4 hours to climb it and every minute would still suck. Given those two facts I warn people about bringing something too low.

Besides, the feeling of accomplishment goes along with training for something and doing it when the time comes. Gearing down to a nothing gear or walking seem to be about the same to me. Climb, and words on that subject???

manet
12-23-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.bikefriday.com/images/news/WEB-PrPro-jbria-mt-washington.jpg

Argos
12-23-2005, 07:01 PM
ergott and I did the 2004 practice run together, and I used a compact in the front and a xt cassette in the back. Ergott has gone up using a mtn bike crank (XTR on a Colnago, quite cool) and another time using a 39t in the front. Not sure what he used when we went together (Eric?).

I'm not going into my garage to check the intermediary gearing (though I know it was a 12-34) But if the two near the 34 were a 29 or 30 and 31 or 32, I, aside from the first few hundred yards, spent most of the time in the 34-29, shifted to the 32 for the 4.5 to 5.5mile, but then went back to the 29 and getting as low as a 21 (-ish) near the top (except for the last 200 meters, ouch).

I think anyone that does the ride is gonna do the best they can do, not bail out of laziness to the lowest gear they have. I prefered "spinning" as best I could, so I used a slightly easier gearing then I could have, but knew it was gonna be a LONG ride. My time was 1:39:40 (which I have to post because of the fierce rivalry between Eric and myself and the fact that I beat his best time by the "hiccup" of time that is 2 minutes, but I digress....) and it was the first time up the mtn. That's a long time to suffer without the right gearing. I am glad I had gears when I needed them.

I think you should bring what you can, be honest withyourself about ability, and not be surprised about being surprised by the effort, the duration, the altitude, the weather, etc..... The guy that we gave a ride down (and paid in beer :beer: , alright!) was on an old mtn bike with slicks and a fork that I think he locked out with Zip-ties. I think finishing should be a lot of peoples main goal the first time ans that they need to leave pride in the parking lot.

I had some guys pass me around mile 3 that were looking to me like they were out for a morning warmup. They were chatting casually, giving encouragement as they passed people (I think they were talking about coffee?) and riding in what looked to be a 39/23. I could not believe how comfortable they were. I am so glad I didn't try anything other then my own pace, cause I woulda been dropped in seconds.

I say, Do your time training, be honest with yourself, have a good time, bring gears for anything. You never know when a storm and 50 mph winds will be at the top.

A friend of mine took my place in 02 or 03, I forget, in what was supposed to be my first time. I was going to be escorting a customer, so he wound up doing it. It was the year the weather was horrible and when the customer got to the treeline, he had to abandon. My Pal Brian waited with him. It was nice weather at the bottom, cr@p at the top. Be prepared. (and have fun)

gdw
12-23-2005, 07:01 PM
The bike race is a little too costly for me but hopefully I'll be running it this year if I'm lucky and get picked in the lottery.

I agree with Sandy about gearing. It's better to have the extra bail out gears if you need them.

ergott
12-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Is there noone interested in the practice run??? Come on, $25 and you get all the same glory! :banana:

Gearing is not something to generalize and there is no "ideal" formula. The 1:1 is a guideline and a place to start. My PB was a 39/34 and I sued it almost the whole time. The next year I used a 26 (XTR) and the same 12/34 cassette in the back. The time difference was negligable, but I can definetly tell you form experience that the easier gearing made for a more pleasant run. Instead of an average cadence or 26RPM (39/34), my cadence was much higher. DO NOT let anyone talk you into using too hard a gear! They make a practice run for a reason. You don't spend $300 only to find out how ill prepared you are (physically or mechanically). If I were to do it again, I will bring a mtb crank and a 13/29 cassette. I already have this stuff so there is no added expence. Anyone with a mtb can use the gear they have to make a climber. There is no such thing as too easy a gear. If you are that strong, you already know what gears you want. For the rest of us mortals, overestimate the difficulty and be happy you made it the first time. Then you'll know what works for you.

Climb01742
12-23-2005, 07:18 PM
it's hard to say what's right for others. but for myself, i'm in ti/ed's camp. i'm planning on training to ride with a 34 or 33 up front. in the back, i'll test ride two set-ups: a special shimano 10-speed 12-30 and a 12-34 MTB casette. i'm training/hoping to be more powerful this year. but if a 50mph wind hits us above treeline, ain't nothing gonna help us but devine intervention. :p

Lost Weekend
12-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Climb, where did you find a shimano 10 speed 12-30 casette? I had that set up on my old 9 speed and loved it.

djg
12-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Is there noone interested in the practice run??? Come on, $25 and you get all the same glory! :banana:

Gearing is not something to generalize and there is no "ideal" formula. The 1:1 is a guideline and a place to start. My PB was a 39/34 and I sued it almost the whole time. The next year I used a 26 (XTR) and the same 12/34 cassette in the back. The time difference was negligable, but I can definetly tell you form experience that the easier gearing made for a more pleasant run. Instead of an average cadence or 26RPM (39/34), my cadence was much higher. DO NOT let anyone talk you into using too hard a gear! They make a practice run for a reason. You don't spend $300 only to find out how ill prepared you are (physically or mechanically). If I were to do it again, I will bring a mtb crank and a 13/29 cassette. I already have this stuff so there is no added expence. Anyone with a mtb can use the gear they have to make a climber. There is no such thing as too easy a gear. If you are that strong, you already know what gears you want. For the rest of us mortals, overestimate the difficulty and be happy you made it the first time. Then you'll know what works for you.

I'm interested. It's a better date for me, and a better entry fee, and it's not as if I have a shot at winning the actual race in August. Need to negotiate the time, but I'm definitely interested.

weisan
12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
For those of you who have set your hearts on tackling this monster, you are always in my prayers. :D For the rest of us, we can still read about the ride report from the 2nd place winner both in 2003 and 2004, Phil Wong. There are a couple of important lessons to be picked up there...
http://www.ecvcycling.org/racing/elite/reports/2003_08_16_phil_washington.html

http://bike-zone.com/road.php?id=road/2004/aug04/washington04

If this doesn't involve travelling and being away from the family, I would relish the idea of being at the start line...and I will be ready one way or the other just 'cos deep inside I am ever the consummate climber like Climb-0.

If it's my race to do, I have only one strategy: stay upright no matter what.

gasman
12-23-2005, 09:16 PM
This is how you really climb Mt Washington-no bike needed:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/photo_link.pl?photo_id=38904&object_id=66&type=mountain&mountain_id=66&route_id=758

It's actually colder than it looks. :D

fstrthnu
12-23-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm not going, but if I was I'd ride a 23 pound, steel lugged bike with a steel lugged fork, clincher tires, 53x39, 11-25 and still whoop all your.....................
Happy Holidays!
Fstrthnu
:)

jerk
12-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm not going, but if I was I'd ride a 23 pound, steel lugged bike with a steel lugged fork, clincher tires, 53x39, 11-25 and still whoop all your.....................
Happy Holidays!
Fstrthnu

imho bro that's mp. you better be rolling on herring bone tubulars in 28mm yo....with a bag of rocks in your backpack, a cabbage leaf for a hat, and the sunday issue of the nashua telegraph stuffed down your shirt and shorts....

jerk

fstrthnu
12-23-2005, 09:39 PM
imho bro that's mp. you better be rolling on herring bone tubulars in 28mm yo....with a bag of rocks in your backpack, a cabbage leaf for a hat, and the sunday issue of the nashua telegraph stuffed down your shirt and shorts....

jerk

Yo Bro. Thats some European 1800's Tour The France style ***** Yo. You forgot the cigarettes and cocaine for the feedzone though bro!
IMHO
Fstrthnu

jerk
12-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Yo Bro. Thats some European 1800's Tour The France style ***** Yo. You forgot the cigarettes and cocaine for the feedzone though bro!
IMHO
Fstrthnu

imho bro lucky strikes open up the lungs for those long climbs yo....

jerk

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12549

Fixed
12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
bro sounds like mt bike race around here cheers :beer:

Sandy
12-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Happy Holidays!
Fstrthnu

Sure you would. You on the way down, with everyone else on the way up.

Sandy

jerk
12-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Sure you would. You on the way down, with everyone else on the way up.

Sandy

ahmmm....sandy. the jerk loves you bro. but fstrthnu would kick the living crap out of anyone on this forum in any road race. trust the jerk on this one. he's not bragging with his name, merely stateting fact.

jerk

slowgoing
12-24-2005, 01:49 AM
he's not bragging with his name, merely stateting fact.

I guess he's not bragging here either:

"I'm not going, but if I was I'd ride a 23 pound, steel lugged bike with a steel lugged fork, clincher tires, 53x39, 11-25 and still whoop all your ....................."

Nice.

Climb01742
12-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Climb, where did you find a shimano 10 speed 12-30 casette? I had that set up on my old 9 speed and loved it.

lost--it's a custom cassette through these folks: http://www.mcmwin.com/

Climb01742
12-24-2005, 05:37 AM
ahmmm....sandy. the jerk loves you bro. but fstrthnu would kick the living crap out of anyone on this forum in any road race. trust the jerk on this one. he's not bragging with his name, merely stateting fact.

jerk

senor, if that's his claim to fame -- being faster than us -- is that really saying very much? :p personally, give me sandy who is ncrthnu. :banana:

ergott
12-24-2005, 08:45 AM

jerk

I'm sorry, but if he is the real deal (I respect your's and eritchie's vouches) then isn't it a little obnoxious to remind everybody here just how fast he is? That's like Clemens showing up at a AAA game and touting how he can strike everyone out. That attitude is a little brash for a newcomer and can easily be taken the wrong way. Then again, it's the holidays so peace and harmony is the pescription!

Cheers all and have a happy/merry whatever.

Fixed
12-24-2005, 09:28 AM
bro you never know who is watching i.m.h.o. cheers merry christmas

jerk
12-24-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry, but if he is the real deal (I respect your's and eritchie's vouches) then isn't it a little obnoxious to remind everybody here just how fast he is? That's like Clemens showing up at a AAA game and touting how he can strike everyone out. That attitude is a little brash for a newcomer and can easily be taken the wrong way. Then again, it's the holidays so peace and harmony is the pescription!

Cheers all and have a happy/merry whatever.

don't hate the playa hate the game. think of it more like hulk hogan boasting about how he's stronger than the brooklyn brawler....

Fixed
12-24-2005, 09:40 AM
bro i know hulk( terry) hogan that is a big act he is one hip dude in real life he even plays the bass guitar in a band cheers :beer:

jerk
12-24-2005, 10:16 AM
bro i know hulk( terry) hogan that is a big act he is one hip dude in real life he even plays the bass guitar in a band cheers :beer:

likewise for fstrthnu, except he doesn't play bass in a band.

Ginger
12-24-2005, 10:36 AM
So he's faster than a really slow girl...big whoop. ;)

Why is that all that different than anyone else? :)

(it's a different perspective...that's all)

saab2000
12-24-2005, 10:58 AM
It ain't bragging if you can do it. The nicest guys in cycling I have ever met were the most competent, be that in racing or bike building or wrenching or whatever. It was usually the less competent who were the jerks - no pun intended. Honest!!!

I once met the best ever cyclist (yup, got to meet Eddy Merckx for a couple hours once at his factory in Belgium) and he was polite, interested, gracious, etc. He has nothing to prove to anyone and he knows it. But it's not arrogance.

So there. Like I said, it ain't bragging if you can do it.

PS - I have never met the jerk. I bet he's a nice guy. He told me to get Nucleon tubulars and he was right.

PPS - Nope, I am not climbing that hill. I have done things in Switzerland like it and won't be doin' that again.

Tom
12-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Ginger, I think you're taking on a hell of a challenge and I am certain you are going to meet it well. This is going to be so cool, taking it on in the first place is one pretty definitive statement that you're back from all your misfortunes and injuries. I am looking forward to hearing your progress reports and intermediate victories on the way to the big one.

I already picture you at the top, looking around and saying "Yes, dammit, yes. I'm here."

I've been there, (not there, not Mt. Washington, that place scares me) back at my own victory after a time away and the feeling is so great. People don't sometimes get it, what it actually feels like, when you set a goal you really don't know that you can reach and then you get there. I'm guessing that at this point you are wondering if you really can do it, and that's what will make it so very sweet when you do.

slowgoing
12-24-2005, 11:29 AM
It isn't bragging if you do it. It is bragging if you say you can do it, especially to a forum made up of a lot of non-racers. And it's not analogous to Hulk Hogan at all. He was a WWF wrestler who, like the rest of them, bragged as part of his professional persona to attract more viewers. We don't even know who this guy is.

Ginger
12-24-2005, 11:48 AM
That's what I like about this forum, when people first show up we don't know them, we don't know if they can even ride a bike, let alone live up to their chosen forum name...but here, sometimes if the stars are right, we do meet up and ride together.

Then we find out that Climb can indeed climb! And he likes it!

Tom, It's nice to know someone else out there understands the concept...although I don't think I've been through as much as yourself or many here on the forum, it's enough. Thanks for your support.

saab2000
12-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Whether or not someone can do something plays no role in my opinion of that person. I have been fortunate enough to meet some world class cyclists, but I have also been fortunate enough never to hero worship.

Besides, if fstrthnu thinks he can beat me, let him try. :D

bluesea
12-24-2005, 01:10 PM
My guess is that he's between 15 to 17 years old, filled with the hubris appropriate for that age, and is still trying to discover his place within the broader scheme of things.

William
12-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Happy Holidays!
Fstrthnu

Maybe, but so what, I could take that 23 pound, steel lugged bike with a steel lugged fork, clincher tires, 53x39, 11-25 and shove it up your arse. But it's Christmas and I'm a nice guy so I won't. :beer:

Merry Christmas.

William ;)

saab2000
12-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Why do people get upset over the statements made by jerk and fstrthnu? T'ain't worth it kids. And I believe he probably is faster than everyone else but me.

William
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I ain't upset, I'm a happy boy. :) :beer:

William

Sandy
12-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Being fast is nice, being humble is better.

Sandy

saab2000
12-24-2005, 01:53 PM
My humility is endless. :D

Just having fun boys. Like I said earlier, the best cyclist ever is someone I met and he impressed me with his humility. I felt very fortunate to have been able to meet him. Others who have met him say the same thing.

Sandy
12-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I hope that you realize that I was not talking about you.

Sandy

fiamme red
12-24-2005, 05:38 PM

jerkSo what? I'm faster than many riders, slower than many. I probably could beat any 10-year old in a road race, and I'd lose to any pro in a road race. Saying that fstrthnu could beat anyone on the forum isn't saying much. Maybe when he grows up a little, he'll learn his place and gain some humility.

manet
12-24-2005, 08:22 PM
http://www.nearmintheroes.org/images/2005/GL/please.jpg

dirtdigger88
12-24-2005, 10:03 PM
the ladies prefer men who take their time and enjoy their work

they aren't so fond on the boys who finish first- :D

Merry Christmas

Jason

jerk
12-24-2005, 10:52 PM
the jerk personally finds the cock-suredness of fstrthnu refreshing, amusing and entertaining. put it this way, the jerk used to earn his living racing bicycles and he can hardly hold fstrthnu's wheel when the jerk and he are doing intervals, which isn't to say the jerk is fast just that the dude has the guts to be the next big thing......

the fact that he's on a bike again at all speaks volumes of his charachter, his strength and his humility. you go try to race a grand tour at age eighteen...discover the sick soul of the sport and the charachters you idolize and come back better than ever.

fstrthnu rules imho bro.

jerk

Climb01742
12-25-2005, 06:49 AM
the jerk personally finds the cock-suredness of fstrthnu refreshing, amusing and entertaining. put it this way, the jerk used to earn his living racing bicycles and he can hardly hold fstrthnu's wheel when the jerk and he are doing intervals, which isn't to say the jerk is fast just that the dude has the guts to be the next big thing......

the fact that he's on a bike again at all speaks volumes of his charachter, his strength and his humility. you go try to race a grand tour at age eighteen...discover the sick soul of the sport and the charachters you idolize and come back better than ever.

fstrthnu rules imho bro.

jerk

senor, knowing you, i don't think you'd admire a jerk. in life, fstrthnu might well be admirable. but having character and expressing character are sometimes different things. given what he's seen and been through, he could surely contribute cycling knowledge here that is far more valuable than taking the p*ss out of us...not that we don't sometimes need that. yes, our passion often exceeds our talent here. but is talent that exceeds compassion better? i think fstrthnu would be very welcome here if he simply shared his knowledge, rather than holding it over anyone. funny. if he is who i think he is -- you introduced him to me once at the shop, i believe -- he seemed like a great kid. that great kid would be very welcome here, i think.

ergott
12-25-2005, 08:04 AM

fstrthnu rules imho bro.

jerk

Sounds like a very interesting story. I'm sure we'd warm up to him if we didn't mind sharing it with us. Like I said before he has you and richie vouching for him so how bad could he be?

PS He's not Matt DeCanio is he???

fiamme red
12-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Happy Holidays!
Fstrthnu
:)One person who posts on this forum has finished as high as 7th, and has also broken the hour for the climb. He's too modest to tell us about it, though.

Sandy
12-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Speed is from your legs. Humility is from your heart.

From outerspace,

Spaceman Sandy

weisan
12-25-2005, 08:41 AM
true humilty comes in the form of a servant...he rides a donkey...and YES! His name is above every name. :D

We seems to lose sight of the fact that this hillclimb afterall is not a race against another fellow cyclist on wheels. It's surviving the brutal slopes of the mountains, getting to understand your own limits, and in the end, being humbled by the experience.

fstrthnu-pal, I have no doubt you have some special gifts... everyone has in one way or the other. Learn to use them wisely. It may be true that you have the legs and lungs to compete at the highest levels of a bicycle race...but you gonna need a lot more than that to run a good race in life itself. That's where you can learn from the people here.

Jesus is the reason why I celebrate Christmas, what about' you?

Merry Christmas!

weisan

Len J
12-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Jerk has told you he's a good guy....Richie has told you he's a good guy.....he's also young.

Sarcastic and other subtle emotions, don't translate thru on the internet well......Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, especially vouched for by good people.

Merry chrismas to you all.

Len