PDA

View Full Version : FDA warns consumers about health risks with Healthy Life Chemistry dietary supplement

djg21
07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Laboratory tests indicate presence of anabolic steroids

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers that they should not use or purchase Healthy Life Chemistry By Purity First B-50, marketed as a vitamin B dietary supplement. A preliminary FDA laboratory analysis indicated that the product contains two potentially harmful anabolic steroids—methasterone, a controlled substance, and dimethazine. These ingredients are not listed in the label and should not be in a dietary supplement.

“Products marketed as a vitamin but which contain undisclosed steroids pose a real danger to consumers and are illegal,” said Howard Sklamberg, director of the Office of Compliance in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “The FDA is committed to ensuring that products marketed as vitamins and dietary supplements do not pose harm to consumers.”

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/8461/20130729/fda-steroids-healthy-life-chemistry-purity-first-b-50-contains.htm

A new pro-cycling sponsor?

Louis
07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised this is even out there - aren't supplements completely unregulated?

I thought they could add cyanide to a multivitamin, call it "Rasputin's Special Formula" and sell it.

Mark McM
07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised this is even out there - aren't supplements completely unregulated?

The FDA has wanted to get regulatory authority over the dietary supplement industry for years (which has been fought tooth and nail by industry lobbiests). Maybe this is an attempt to force Congress's hand by showing that the supplement industry is incapable of regulating itself?

djg21
07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
The FDA has wanted to get regulatory authority over the dietary supplement industry for years (which has been fought tooth and nail by industry lobbiests). Maybe this is an attempt to force Congress's hand by showing that the supplement industry is incapable of regulating itself?

The FDA still has authority over quality of food products, i.e, adulterated food, and with respect to claims of health benefits made on supplement labels.

This kind of press release and/or enforcement action is not unusual.

http://newhope360.com/supplements/adulterated-supplements-account-half-fda-drug-recalls