PDA

View Full Version : Phone conversation & reading while driving strike again

Louis
07-30-2013, 03:01 PM
And folks pay one heck of a price.

But they're so convenient, we can't get rid of them...

Driver in Fatal Spanish Train Was on Phone, Court Says
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MADRID — The driver was on the phone with a colleague and apparently looking at a document as his train barreled ahead at 95 mph (153 kph) — almost twice the speed limit. Suddenly, a notorious curve was upon him.

He hit the brakes too late.

The train, carrying 218 passengers in eight carriages, hurtled off the tracks and slammed into a concrete wall, killing 79 people.

On Tuesday, investigators looking into the crash announced their preliminary findings from analysis of the train's data-recording "black boxes," suggesting that human error appears to be the cause of Spain's worst railway disaster in decades.

Keith A
07-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Very sad. Are we ever going to learn how dangerous it is to multitask while driving?

4Rings6Stars
07-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Very sad. Are we ever going to learn how dangerous it is to multitask while driving?

I don't think it has anything to do with learning that these things are dangerous, I am pretty confident most people know that. The issue is overcoming the "it will never happen to me" mentality.

Keith A
07-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Good point...I guess I should have said, what is it going to take before people stop this behavior?

1centaur
07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Computer controlled cars/trains with human override in emergencies.

Will be fascinating to see if the accident rate is higher or lower. IMO the accident rate on highways (and trains) is shockingly low, but an accident rate 1/10th as high but caused by malfunctioning machines would be perceived as much worse by many.

bicycletricycle
07-30-2013, 05:24 PM
one news report said that these trains were supposed to have a redundant speed control incase of human failure.

in that case this was a human and robot failure.

gone
07-30-2013, 05:32 PM
one news report said that these trains were supposed to have a redundant speed control incase of human failure.

in that case this was a human and robot failure.

A report that I read said some sections of the track had the redundant speed control you mention but others only had "alerts" which notified the driver of the need to reduce the trains speed but required the driver to actually do it. According to the report, the section where the accident occurred was one of the latter.