PDA

View Full Version : Best of the Alps continued

velotel
07-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Have no idea how many cols are in the first post. Didn’t pay attention. As said, no order to the selection process. Just my mind hopping about like a trout suddenly spying another fat fly and rising to the surface in a flash of movement with no thought process at all. Writing about one col makes me think about another moment somewhere else and away I go. Besides, with a bloody broken toe I can’t ride so…

Col du Mollard, 1640 meters, kind of a sidetrack to the road to Col de la Croix de Fer. Done by the TdF twice after crossing Croix de Fer. Down from Croix de Fer, turn right, up to Mollard, turn left, down to St Jean de Maurienne, up to La Toussuire. Apparently most riders who do Mollard follow the TdF idea. Either up from the Oisans valley and over Croix de Fer or up Glandon and over Croix de Fer, etc. For me there’s a better way, a little road that’s not used so much. Climbs from Villargondran, a village next to St Jean. One of the most delightful climbs I’ve ever done. 40 switchbacks, sometimes a tight corkscrew up the slope, a forest of deciduous trees for shade on a hot day, and 10 K of stunningly consistent, easy grades. Like 6%. Narrow road, zero traffic, good surface. And then it gets better. Top out in a small village with views that will make you stop in the middle of the road followed by 5 K of mostly flatness (well, there is a road burp along the way, half a K at almost 9%) across huge basins sweeping down off the mountain. And always the three summits of the Aiguilles d’Arves soaring into the sky. Then down and up the valley to the Croix de Fer. Easy spinning for a long time then the road gets rude in the last village before the final climb to the col. Croix de Fer, a fine col, vast views and lots of people hanging out. Down a ways, turn right (if the road’s clear, take it fast and coast up) to the Col du Glandon. Mont Blanc in the distance, deep green, v-shaped valley plunging down to meet the Maurienne valley. On the other side Col de la Madeleine. Outrageously fun, fast descent. Upper part massive gravity accelerations. Obviously the loop can be done in either direction but I think the switchbacks to Villardgondran wouldn’t be so much fun going down. The much harder direction is Glandon, Fer, Mollard. Glandon is one hard, sustained climb that gets harder the higher you go. Only col I’ve seen people pushing their bikes on. Beautiful ride. And the climb up to Mollard has some rude pitches to surmount. I prefer the Mollard to Glandon direction, a concentration of the best of alpine riding.

Col de la Madeleine, 1995 meters, or maybe 1993. I’ve seen both listed. The sign on the col says 2000 meters, putting it in the 2K Club. Not nearly as popular in my experience as all the other high cols in the region despite the frequency with which it appears in the TdF. Included for the first time ’69 and since then seems like they do it every other year. I’ve done it from both sides and much prefer the north going up. Small road, no traffic, fine views, all in all a wonderfully bucolic ride, which doesn’t mean it’s easy. Sometimes, yes, but more hard than easy. The start out of the Isère valley is a bit frantic after an easy approach. Instant steepness with extended 10% and plus grades through a series of zigs in a thick forest. Gets easier after the turn for the village of Pussy (yep, that’s the real name). After that kind of a chaotic climb for a long time, mixed easy and hard. The last zigs up to the col can be tiring after all that has been done to that point but as soon as you break out of the basin, the road goes limp and the view explodes. One of my favorite views. The road sweeping over the col through fields of grasses then plunging out of sight. The drop down the other side to La Chambre is fast. Just watch out for the decorative speed bumps in the ski village of Longchamp. For me the climb out of La Chambre isn’t all that attractive. The lower part is fine, it’s the upper part I don’t appreciate so much. The ski station of Longchamp I find a bit of an eyesore. Looks much better in the winter when covered with snow. But really either side is a good ride and as a loop, it’s a good one, long but good. Just keep in mind that cold air sinks, hot air rises. As in once the air heats up later in the morning, the alpine valleys can have strong winds blowing up the valley. The Maurienne valley can have screamer winds in the afternoons.

Col de Marocaz, a low one, only 958 meters, nothing famous about it though it was crossed once by the TdF, in ’54. A short but fierce climb. A road I love. Starts in vineyards, round switchbacks up the slopes of the Bauges Mountains, into a small gorge (this is the only easy section of riding, a nice break from the steep going before and the even steeper going after), then up through a mixed forest of deciduous trees. Good views most of the way up. No traffic, rarely any cyclists either. Doesn’t really go anywhere, just over a shoulder of the mountains then down the other side. I suspect one big reason it’s not so well known is because it really is a bit fierce to climb. In the autumn the colors can be spectacular. Fast descent off the back side, nothing special, then right onto a wonderful small road that contours the hillsides to the village of Puygros and then the junction with the road to Col des Prés, 1135 meters. A nice climb is about all I can call it. Wide road, good surface, not too hard but with moments, okay views. The col itself is a wide, U-shaped valley of grasses with the road running straight over it and down. Rather lovely place actually. The TdF crossed it this year in the other direction. Then down to Ailon-le-Jeune and the start of a ripping good ride, which as it turned out the TdF did this year but, again, in the opposite direction. The road’s a kind of easy roller coaster ride across the mountains with some splendid carvers along the way. A big ring ride with lots of speed and a sweet little downhill at the end to join the road to the Col du Frêne. I did this once late in the day with a light breeze on my back, as much fun as I’ve ever had on a bike. Laughing all the way. Just outrageous. Col du Frêne, n ot much of a climb, more a gentle incline in a somewhat deserted U-shaped valley of fields and cows. Good fun with the wind on the back. No fun with it in the face. And now the cherry on the day’s ride, the drop off the col into the valley the ride started out in. Very fast, lots of round sweepers, excellent surface, fine views. I’ve had some ripping descents off this puppy. Carving at some major speeds. Lovely. Three low cols, none famous, but a delightful ride, one I never tire of.

Mont Revard, 1537 meters, done by the TdF this year, same day as Col des Prés. Various roads up, I’ve only done the one the race did. It’s not a great climb in my opinion, definitely pleasant and a good time but not much more than that. Mostly rather easy but down low near Chambéry there are 3 K of challenge with one K at 10%. From there to Col de Plainpalais is smooth sailing on the small ring and medium cog. Turn left at the col and the road gets easier. Also where things get interesting, in fact about the only reason I can think of for doing this ride. The views are exceptional. The road follows the crag of Mont Revard with at times huge drops off the edge of the road. Like hang a sharp left and go airborne. Below Lake Bourget, a beautiful place. Kind of a wild. Just cruising along (though there are a couple moments of steepness along the way) way up on top of this mountain right on the edge of a drop to the valley floor. Lots of paragliders, hang gliders, and sail planes hanging around the mountain when conditions are good. The summit itself is a short up and back where there will be lots of people on any clear day. This year’s TdF did all this (but not the summit up and back obviously). Then down a fast and furious drop which I suspect would make a really good climb. Watching the peloton dive down that was fun since I’ve done that myself. A lot of options after this that I won’t go into. All in all a good ride that is made terrific by the summit section.

Col de l’Iseran, 2770 meters, highest col in France if you subtract the little scenic loop they built to the Cime de la Bonette; the true col there is Col de Restefond at 2680 meters, not la Bonette. The south side of the Iseran is a delight from start to finish. I started in Lanslebourg, a small village at the base of the climb to Mont Cenis that’s evolved into a small ski station. Nice village, but cold up there. The first 20 K are a long and rather wonderful approach ride. Bit of steepness out of Lanslebourg to the upper valley but only for 2 K then it’s all but flat for the next 12 K. We’re talking 120 so meters of gain in 12 K. A remarkable ride because this is in the heart of the Alps. On either side are steep, high ridges and summits, one of them high enough that it has a big glacier hanging there in the basin under the summit. An entrancing spin, or it was for me. Then the road hits the wall, 12 K+ of sustained up. Lots of 8% grades. The usual alpine road, narrow, no shoulder, no guardrails most of the time even across cliffs (bothers some people but personally I rather like their absence, better views, more honesty) , a few switchbacks but round and easy, and terrific views all the way up. One of the most enjoyable climbs I’ve ever done. Did an up and back. The north side doesn’t appeal to me, too much ski resort development. I might be doing it an injustice but… The drop is as fine as the climb. Very fast, open sightlines, sweeping turns. Nothing but smiles to the valley floor. Then the debt collector arrives. You’re heading down the valley only it’s late in the day and of course the air has heated. A headwind all the way. Possibly way strong. Harder going down the valley than coming up. Over a hump and down those steep Ks to Lanslebourg. Fabulous ride. One to repeat. Just wish it wasn’t so far away from me.

Col Luitel, 1262 meters, neither high nor famous but somewhat surprisingly crossed by the TdF, first in ‘56, last in ’81. Hard puppy, 2 K shorter and 100 meters less vertical than Alpe d’Huez and steeper. Wonderful climb. Super narrow road winding up through a deciduous forest on impressively steep slopes. One of the most pleasant forests I’ve ever ridden through. Up higher some sweet openings in the forest with strong views to the south. Lots of shade with the trees, appreciated since the exposure is south. A pizza oven otherwise, like Alpe d’Huez. There’s a fine option part way up, a road climbing off steeply to the left. Doesn’t go anywhere, just to the top of the ridge, but a good ride, lots of sections even steeper than on Luitel. Return the same way but not all the distance. A road goes left and joins the Luitel road just before the steepest sections of Luitel. Wouldn’t want to miss those of course. A climb I’ve done quite a few times, always with great pleasure though pain too if I’m honest. At the top, up to Chamrousse, an easy finish, not all that interesting, and over the top and down or, better, turn around and come back down the Chamrousse road you went up and all the way down to Uriage. Fun and fast. Not many do Luitel, their loss.

Seems like references to this year’s TdF have come a few times. The route planners must have been looking over my shoulder, wondering what they should ride. Col de Sarenne, 2000 meters if you walk a few meters off the road with your bike. Outrageous ride. Got a kick out of all the comments I read and heard on tele about how dangerous the road is, etc., etc. Jeez, I didn’t know I was such a courageous and skilled rider! Either that or the road was easier when I’ve done it and they made it harder just for the race. The race planners weren’t paying attention when they were looking over my shoulder. They went down what they should have gone up. Oh well. To do this col justice, I’m going to give you the ‘right’ way to do it. Start at the base of the damn at Allemond, near Bourg d’Oisans. Join the parade to Bourg d’Oisans and stay with them on the road to Alpe d’Huez. Only until La Garde, the village right after the steep start of the climb. Go right. Small road, much of the time a one-laner, widening to a lane and a half from time to time. Slight down, then up, steep. Onto the balcony. Great place. Road carved out of the cliff, piss off the side and you hit the cars on the route nationale down below. Assuming no wind of course. Great views up the valley heading to La Bérarde. You might not be happy if you have a problem with heights. Down to Le Freney. Fun drop to the village with a massive gravity accelerator. Onto the route nationale to the damn and across. Turn left, the climb to Sarenne is joined. Kicks in with some fierce switchbacks to the village. Lots of flowers there. Down, fast, then up, easy for awhile. Doesn’t last. Get to a tiny village, more flowers, switchback to the left and now you’re in it. Sustained and hard to the col. Also gorgeous. I love this road. Up high the views kind of explode. Over the top and down to Alpe d’Huez. Used to be rough but they fixed it up for the primadonnas in the race. Okay, now down, but only to Huez where you start another fabulous road, the easy road to Alpe d’Huez. Contours across the mountain, through a village, huge views, grass fields on either side. Then down to the reservoir and your car. Fun descent. Less spectacular than I’d hoped for but good fun. That’s a hell of a loop.

La Bérarde, 1711 meters, a valley ride all the way. Kind of funny to wrap up my little best ride post with a ride that doesn’t go to a col. Stays in the valley the whole way and still manages to stack up 1070 meters worth of climbing. That’s during 26,5 K. Think of it as sort of a mountain version of beach boardwalk cruise. Well, maybe not given there’s a couple of Ks along the way that break 11% and another over 10% and another just under 10%. Definitely not a beach ride. But the rest is sweet cruising. An beautiful ride along a mountain stream rushing over rocks and small cascades and on either side slopes soaring up to crags and summits that look inaccessible to anything other than an eagle. The avalanches that must come off those slopes in the winter have got to be impressive. This is in the heart of the Alps, in the Ecrins National Park, one of the steepest, wildest mountain ranges in France. The road strikes deep inside the mountains and is a pure out and back. Really needs to be done if you’re spending some time in the Bourg d’Oisans area. Very different from everything else you’ll ride.

Okay, that’s enough. Got lots more cols but time to let it rest I think. Enjoy.

MattTuck
07-30-2013, 12:39 PM
That is awesome! So much good information there!

It looks like the pictures are from different seasons.

I don't know much about the French weather patterns. What season is best for these rides? I imagine that many of them are closed from Late fall-late spring?

MRB
07-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Awesome! thanks for sharing

teleguy57
07-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Amazing posts. Gets my Walter Mitty flowing....

And love the classic Vecchio's jersey! Not sure I saw that version on my last trip to Boulder. But I do have two others -- topic for another thread:)

sparky33
07-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Awesome. just awesome.

choke
07-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Outstanding. Thank you for both of these posts.

martl
07-31-2013, 06:05 AM
I don't know much about the French weather patterns. What season is best for these rides? I imagine that many of them are closed from Late fall-late spring?
Best time for central alps is June - first half of July. Anything above 2000 is likely to be closed before end of may. After that period, there are still good conditions, but thunderstorms in the early afternoons are increasingly likely to happen.

LouDeeter
07-31-2013, 08:49 AM
In a perfect world, I could see myself spending June to September in Southern France, riding the country roads and cols, drinking the wines and enjoying the cafes and markets. Alas, another dream to be unrealized.

velotel
07-31-2013, 12:29 PM
That is awesome! So much good information there!

It looks like the pictures are from different seasons.

Not only different seasons, different years, going back to maybe 07, the year I went digital for shooting. Best season, that's a hard one anymore. Spring can be wonderful, but not for the high cols that are all still closed, but this year spring stayed winter for an impressively long time. Summer if terrific but maybe a bit crowded. Amazing how many cyclists there are on the cols in the summer. I believe I read that something like 350 a day do Alpe d'Huez! Autumn I love, still warm, lots of colors, no people. It can also be very wet, which I hate. So for the high cols really summer and early fall. Everything else spring through late fall. Last time I rode Ventoux was in December. The road was closed, no one there, beautiful. I ride all year actually.