PDA

View Full Version : PSA-dress shoes

Ken Robb
07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
We have had some discussions about the merits of various dress shoes and the opinions of several discerning footwear fetishists including me are that Alden and Allen Edmonds make wonderful high quality shoes in the USA. While they are not cheap they last almost forever because both companies will rebuild old worn shoes to look and feel like new for a very reasonable charge.
My morning newspaper has an ad for a sale at Nordstroms for Allen-Edmonds cap-toe oxfords marked down from $335 to $240. Since this is a timeless design classic the expected longevity could make them a real bargain. In any event once you get used to the look and feel of shoes like them you will probably be spoiled for ever after. :)

weatherman
07-30-2013, 10:24 AM
We have had some discussions about the merits of various dress shoes and the opinions of several discerning footwear fetishists including me are that Alden and Allen Edmonds make wonderful high quality shoes in the USA. While they are not cheap they last almost forever because both companies will rebuild old worn shoes to look and feel like new for a very reasonable charge.
My morning newspaper has an ad for a sale at Nordstroms for Allen-Edmonds cap-toe oxfords marked down from $335 to $240. Since this is a timeless design classic the expected longevity could make them a real bargain. In any event once you get used to the look and feel of shoes like them you will probably be spoiled for ever after. :)

A number of nice AE models on sale at nordstrom.com if you take a look. In fact, happen to be wearing my Neumok oxfords today! (And yes, they are on sale--great price at $169) Great shoes. :banana:

djg21
07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks. I have a new pair of cordovan Aldens (EEE) on order from my local shop (I have the black and brown ones too). My current pair are over 20 years old and pretty trashed. I'll keep them to wear for casual dress, but they no longer are business suit-worthy.

My local Alden shop polishes and cleans Aldens for no charge if you buy them there, and charges relatively little to replace soles, etc. I've also had my old shoes reconditioned and restored by Alden twice over the years, at a very reasonable cost.

While the Aldens ain't cheap ($500 +/-), they are will worth the money if you wear dress shoes regularly, and they certainly will last for many, many years if taken care of.