PDA

View Full Version : Bont Shoes - any feedback on fit/durability

gearmeister
07-30-2013, 05:59 AM
I know these shoes are intended to be heat molded for fit, but are they really as comfortable as they claim to be.. what about the sole? How durable is it with frequent stops and coffee shop visits.

DerekG
07-30-2013, 06:32 AM
I had to mold mine twice to get them just right.
I generally only wear them on the trainer but have ridden outdoors with them a dozen times or so. They have been going strong for two winters and the few rides between. I've had no durability issues at all.

The only issue I have with them is one fits a little different than the other.
I suspect that is because one of my feet is slightly larger so the shoe is a little tighter. I guess that is a backwards compliment about their manufacturing tolerances.

Mostly what I'm saying is that I would put them on the list when shopping for new shoes. Hope that helps.

Gummee
07-30-2013, 06:58 AM
The A2s and 3s I have are some of the stiffest things I've ever worn.

...but...

The sizing chart on Bont's site is important if you can't try em on. Best if you can try em on tho. They're not sized like anything else.

I'm waiting for QBP to get more in so I can try to get a pair of Vaypors that fits.

M

Charles M
07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I know just as many people that couldn't make bonts work as could...

FlashUNC
07-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Sense I've gotten is they're a love or hate shoe. I fell into the latter category. When I tried them on, they seemed to hit my foot in all the wrong spots. To be fair, this was just a try-on, and I didn't even purchase a pair to mold. So they might have been great, but I wasn't willing to take the chance given how they fit out of the box.

But just as easily, I know guys who swear by them.

djg21
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
If you are looking for a custom fit shoe, why don't you look at the D2s. Don will work with you to make sure the shoes are comfortable, and as far as durability, I still have shoes in my closet that he made 20 years ago, and they are still perfectly functional and fine.

BTW, I hated my Bont short-track boots, which probably led to me abandoning the sport.

d_douglas
07-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I bought some as new Bonts here a few months back. They are an odd fit - but very comfortable in my opinion. Wide toe box and very stiff. I wear 46 Specialized and the Bonts are a 47!

I am amidst repairing a stripped / broken cleat mount nut. Durability thus far hasn't been great, but I can't say it is anything but bad luck - these things sometimes happen.

Pete Mckeon
07-30-2013, 12:05 PM
And they are just as comfortable as Sidi

Likes2ridefar
07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
One of the few shoes along with shimano custom shoes that I truly dislike. I tried everything I could to mold them. I couldnt see a change in fit even after shoving wooden rods and pushing in areas to try and stretch them.

if the bathtub design does not work for your foot then you are pretty much SOL.

I tried various insoles as well, no luck. specialized inserts felt great but then the higher arch would push my foot out into the edge of the tub design creating pain over time.

Fortunately one of the threads in one shoe stripped when removing a cleat and I was able to warranty them and sell them as new.

the one other person I know recently who has had issues of discomfort with the shoes had the same thing happen with the threading...

i do know a few who love the shoe, for what it's worth.

uno-speedo
07-30-2013, 12:46 PM
I would recommend going up one size than the size you think you need. You'll thank me.

I too had to mold mine twice to get the fit dialed in.

People either love them or hate them.

gearmeister
07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses.... I have some fairly odd shaped feet so by the sound of things these are a shoe to steer clear of.... unfortunately there is nowhere close by to try them on...

R2D2
07-30-2013, 01:52 PM
I tried everything to try to get them to fit and like them. Followed their sizing instructions precisely. Molded multiple times. I even rode a 400K in them.
All they did was hurt my feet and I finally gave up. I am in the camp that hates them.

I love my D2's.

azrider
07-30-2013, 02:14 PM
I am amidst repairing a stripped / broken cleat mount nut. Durability thus far hasn't been great, but I can't say it is anything but bad luck - these things sometimes happen.

Same here. Two of my mounting bolts are locked into the shoe and the housing turns as i try to tighten/loosen bolt.

Also having leather peel back from toe box and rear heel guard.

AND the leather (albeit decorative) stripes have all but peeled off.

Not buying another pair

Likes2ridefar
07-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Same here. Two of my mounting bolts are locked into the shoe and the housing turns as i try to tightening loosen bolt.

Also having leather peel back from toe box and rear heel guard.

AND the leather (albeit decorative) stripes have all but peeled off.

Not buying another pair

4 people in quite a small pool of riders that I now know with the same issue of problems with the threads.

donevwil
07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
As a rider with large, wide feet I seriously considered Bonts. The local shop owner, awesome fitter, ex-pro racer sells them and recommended trying everything else first, because of all the Bonts he's sold he estimates feedback has been 50/50. Users either love them of hate them, predominately due to the exact, unforgiving fit. His “go-to” shoe is Shimano, even though he doesn’t sell them. I still haven't found shoes that fit, however, so Bont's may still be in my future.

Dustin
07-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I'll be playing the $300 shoe lottery with them soon. Will post up whether I can get them to work for me.

giverdada
07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
i responded to dustin's earlier post about shoes with the same info, but basically i've had a great experience with my bonts. got them pretty cheap off of fleabay, moulded them pretty easily, stuck speedplay cleats on them, and haven't worried about them since. my ideal size is not in their size list, but i do get away with a size smaller and it's great until winter when bigger socks would be better, but the rest of the time, they fit like an absolute glove. not too hot or cold. no hot spots or numbness. just great shoes. and my feet are about 10.5cm wide at the widest, which seems to be pretty wide, and the smallest toe, for once, does not fall off the edge of the footbed, like it did in sidi's and pearl izumi's, and and and... no durability issues for me at all. mine are white A3's that say 'cervelo test team' on them and have red stripes, so they're on the rather side of hideous for a guy who rides a custom black and pink steel frame equipped with frankencampy, but otherwise, i don't notice them in any unfavorable way ever. good luck in your search!

n.

Charles M
07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
If I were to get a molded pair, it would be Lake...

None of the issues with Bont when I've used them.

crownjewelwl
07-31-2013, 10:20 AM

speaking of Lake, what's the deal with distribution? been trying to get the new mtb shoes in wide, but i can't seem to find em anywhere...

Likes2ridefar
07-31-2013, 10:20 AM

lake custom are awesome shoes. my favorite all time...wish they didnt cost $500 though