PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Replacement

MRB
12-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Okay...call me mechanically challenged.

I'm trying to replace the rubber pads on my Dura Ace 7700 brakes. For some reason I can't get the old rubber shoes out of the holders. I DID take the small screws out, but the old pads just chip off in small chunks, rather than sliding out of the grooves.

Should I soak them in warm water, or use a hair-dryer to soften the rubber??

Thanks,

John

Too Tall
12-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Sure the holders aren't tweaked? The best way to get DA pads out is to remove the "keeper" screws as you did and than grab the brake and move the bike backwards...the pads should scoot out. Soaking them in soapy water is a good idea Mr. Lincoln ;)

Kevan
12-22-2005, 10:05 AM
As you and Too Tall suggest, removing the secure screws from the pad holders should allow the pads to slide out towards the back of the bike (don't have a bike in front of me at present, but think that's the right direction.) You too could remove wheels or unbolt the brakes from the frame and spray wd-40 around the pads to release the hold. Just do me and you a favor, after the pads are out, clean off the lubricant completely so you don't have any...umm, slippery malfunctions with the new pads.

MRB
12-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Sure the holders aren't tweaked? The best way to get DA pads out is to remove the "keeper" screws as you did and than grab the brake and move the bike backwards...the pads should scoot out. Soaking them in soapy water is a good idea Mr. Lincoln ;)
Hi TT,

I guess I did not mention that the pads and holders are off the bike. I could mount them and try your suggestion. And yea, if I try WD 40, I will make sure I clean it off ;)

Thanks!

Ken Robb
12-22-2005, 11:18 AM
well the good news is if the pads are crumbling you know for sure you are not replacing them prematurely and you are about to experience a tremendous increase in braking performance.

Too Tall
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
MRB, put the holders back on the bike and try what I said...there is no way to clamp them without deforming the holders otherwise...but I like your idea to soak in warm soapy water first..am I repeating myself? Am I repeating myself?

Ahneida Ride
12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I hope you are replacing with Kool Stop Salmon Pads. ;)

MRB
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I finally got them out okay. I carefully pinched them in a vice by their mounting bolts, and pusted the pads out with the end of a file.. a BASTARD file. (which is what that crumbling brake pad was being) :beer:

Thanks for the help!!

JA