PDA

View Full Version : Hydration problems - who to consult?

kgreene10
07-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm looking for the Dr. Andy Pruitt of the hydration world. Anyone know someone like that? I'm thinking of an MD who really knows his or her stuff regarding hydration and has methods of determining potential (i.e. unknown to me at present) medical issues that could contribute to hydration deficiencies during intense sports activity.

I'm in Austin, so someone with good knowledge of humidity would be best, whether or not that person resides here too.

I have traveled pretty far down the road of trying out different drinks and I'm 100% certain that my hydration regimen both on and off the bike is as good or superior to that of my training partners; nevertheless, I often look like I just walked out of a swimming pool while they are nearly dry. I have been losing far too much weight during routine training rides and have experienced too many worrisome moments where heat exhaustion begins to creep in.

I have consulted with local hydration experts (typically learned athletes but not MDs) and I have consulted with MDs who are not athletes. Do I need an MD-athlete or is the a kind of sports medicine doctor out there who isn't an orthopedist but instead has expertise in body systems in relation to intense exercise?

Thanks for whatever suggestions you may have.

cnighbor1
07-29-2013, 04:55 PM
taking both sodium and potassium salt. that can lead to problems
try a naturalpath like I go to.

Louis
07-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Tim Noakes (http://www.loreofsportsscience.com/sites/loss/about-tim)

But he seems to be more interested in over-hydration...

http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X

SlackMan
07-29-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure what types of issues you are having. My experience is as follows: I grew up in the humid South, lived in the Midwest for some years, and then moved back to the humid South (about 100 miles from the OP). My experience is that no matter how well hydrated one is (water, electrolytes, whatever), the heat and humidity causes problems with endurance, and when pushing hard in the heat, with mental function (feels like severe bonking). I eventually came to the view that there is nothing in the hydration and training realm that can overcome the limitations imposed by high heat and humidity. This was echoed by my son's track coach a couple of weeks ago when my son raced a 1600m race in temps >100 -- he said that you really can't train for conditions like that sufficiently so that you won't feel a huge reduction in performance. As for me, I try to ride early in the am, and if I have to ride in the heat and humidity, I go at a subjective 50% of max effort.

buddybikes
07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Maybe your body just isn't meant to be pushed that far. Be careful, getting your electrolytes out of wack aint good for your heart.

Just a suggestion, perhaps ask your primary to do a sodium and potassium check before and after your workout?