PDA

View Full Version : What bike would you most like to try?

Wilkinson4
07-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Wei made a great point in the best of the best of the best thread about selecting Crumpton as the pinnacle of carbon bikes but how many of us have ridden one?

So, I have never ridden a carbon bike. I based my choice on word of mouth, the builders reputation and what I have seen at a few NAHBS that were really pleasing aesthetically. So, my input is based on not much at all.

Anyway, if given a chance what bike (Custom or Production) would you most like to kick the tires on?

I would love to give a Holland Exogrid a try...

mIKE

gomango
07-28-2013, 07:51 AM
I'd love to get my mitts on a stainless steel Dave Anderson all-rounder.

That or a Zanc cross bike.

jr59
07-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Crumpton sounds like something I would love to try. But so does the Exogrid!

biker72
07-28-2013, 08:02 AM
A Kirk Terraplane. JKS X model.
Maybe after I win the lottery.....:)

oldpotatoe
07-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Wei made a great point in the best of the best of the best thread about selecting Crumpton as the pinnacle of carbon bikes but how many of us have ridden one?

So, I have never ridden a carbon bike. I based my choice on word of mouth, the builders reputation and what I have seen at a few NAHBS that were really pleasing aesthetically. So, my input is based on not much at all.

Anyway, if given a chance what bike (Custom or Production) would you most like to kick the tires on?

I would love to give a Holland Exogrid a try...

mIKE

Pegoretti Luigino, with the stepped fork crown fork..in a 58cm...with my C-Record/Delta group on it.

Liv2RideHard
07-28-2013, 08:08 AM
A Pegoretti. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it is a Peg.

MattTuck
07-28-2013, 08:09 AM
This idea is a bit like going to a bespoke tailor and trying on someone else's suit...

That said, if I had available to me the right sized bikes, here's my list:

Would love to try because I'll probably never own one:
Vanilla

Would love to try because I'd like to own one:
Landshark
Hampsten
Zanconato
Anderson
Crumpton
Pegoretti

Fishbike
07-28-2013, 09:02 AM
I'd like to try something uber light, say under 14 lbs.

JAGI410
07-28-2013, 09:12 AM
A JP Weigle Rando bike
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l895bprNXi1qbsxao.jpg

merckx
07-28-2013, 09:26 AM
I'd like to try a Merckx Century TSX. Telecom livery would be a bonus.

witcombusa
07-28-2013, 10:08 AM
A Pegoretti. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it is a Peg.

The Peg thing never appealed to me in any way.

What (carbon) bike would you most like to try?

NONE

Aaron O
07-28-2013, 10:13 AM
A JP Weigle Rando bike
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l895bprNXi1qbsxao.jpg

+1 - a Weigle rando, or maybe a Herse. I just want to have an opinion about them.

RedRider
07-28-2013, 10:19 AM
I have a 2012 Pegoretti Duende 56cm with 11sp Record that's my "demo". Any card carrying Forum members that stop by can take it for a ride - no purchase necessary.
*This is not an offer to sell or a promotion that could violate Paceline rules

pdmtong
07-28-2013, 10:28 AM
A dirt gravel since we dont have that kind of riding here

A rando since I don't tour

A Santa Cruz v10 (but need some more skills)

A 150mm full suspension 26, 29, and 650b all back to back

pdmtong
07-28-2013, 10:30 AM

Word! Forgot that one. My neighbors SRAM Z5sl is 14.2. Should just ride around block

bluesea
07-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Moots, Potts. Have never ridden Ti.

KeithNYC
07-28-2013, 10:44 AM
In no particular order-

Any Pegoretti in my size

Richard Sachs

Terreplane Kirk

tv_vt
07-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't mind trying a Merckx MX Leader. Not sure I'd buy one, but would be interesting to ride one.

Pegoretti, maybe a Duende.

Hampsten Strada Bianca ti - never tried one, but I'm buying one! Can't wait to try it out.

Carbon - nothing. My Looks have taken care of that lust.

Maybe a Serotta Hors Cat, or a Legend ti.

Wouldn't mind trying Di2 or DA9000, too. Been using DA7700 for a long time.

Wilkinson4
07-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Ya, that would be kinda interesting. My ellis comes in at about 17lbs w/pedals but maybe something from English Cycles in that sub-14lbs range. Or, what I think would be really cool to try is a full on recumbent bullet by Naked Cycles.

mIKE

fourflys
07-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Having had a cheaper Ti, I'd love to get some good time on a Moots...

Would also love to to try a well-desgned low-trail rando bike like a Rene Herse (original or current) or Boulder Cycle...

eventually I'll have my Sachs, so I'll just have to wait on that one...

sparky33
07-28-2013, 12:04 PM
In no particular order-

Any Pegoretti in my size

Richard Sachs

Terreplane Kirk

Terraplane Kirk is rad, love it. Best ride ever.

Curious about all the magic carpet Pegoretti hullabaloo, and those monster chainstays too. Totally not my thing but would love to try one for a day.

Sachs, yeah that too.

Metal bikes please.

sparky33
07-28-2013, 12:17 PM
also

tandem anything
Hampsten Strada Bianca ti
Rock Lobster cx team al
Niner air 9 rdo

jr59
07-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I thought of another or 2.

Seeing as I live car free; A Moots comooter, or a ti Blacksheep long tail!

firerescuefin
07-28-2013, 12:58 PM
http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Ellis-Cycles-Strada-Fango-gravel-road-bike.jpg

My favorite bike (like the one I wanted tu buy and ride) at NAHBS. Unfortunately my life is not as "baller-riffic" as it needs to be to pull it off. My road bike loses sleep over this bike every night...as it would probably see very little use if I owned this creation.

Wilkinson4
07-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Geoff, I know you liked my bike but you need a better picture since that other one is in the way:)

A moots mootour with the ybb in the back would interesting to try as well for dirt road fun.

mIKE

Bob Ross
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Crumpton? Kirk? Anderson? I don't want to "try" any of those, I would buy one at the drop of a hat!

I'd really like to "try" a Velokraft NoCom or an M5 Low Racer, one of those ridiculously swanky carbon racing recumbents.

Either that, or a Jeff Jones Ti Spaceframe...though I'd probably buy one of those at the drop of a hat too, if I lived near any good off-road riding.

SPOKE
07-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Pegoretti Luigino, with the stepped fork crown fork..in a 58cm...with my C-Record/Delta group on it.

+1....I'd really like to add one of these to my collection!

1centaur
07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
I'd like to try the production bikes that have caught my eye in the last few years:

Specialized Tarmac SL4 (looks awful but some rave about the ride)
Cannondale EVO (compare to a Parlee Z5 to see if stiff is possible that light)
Bianchi Oltre (some of the 1st gen reviews were amazed)
Pinarello Dogma (is the pork put to great use?)

msl819
07-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I thought of another or 2.

Seeing as I live car free; A Moots comooter, or a ti Blacksheep long tail!

JR59 has a (or had) a Co-Motion Ride that would be ideal for a full time commuter. I still think of ways to try to take that off his hands. As for a true road bike I would have Moots weld me up a custom fitted machine and be happy for a long time. I love my steel and have little interest is carbon. I have thought of late that a Cannondale CAAD 9 or 10 outfitted with Ultegra or Chorus may be a true diamond in the rough.

akelman
07-28-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd like six months with a 56 cm Peg Respo to see if I could get it set up so that it would disappear under me. Other than that, I'd like to own a Kirk JKS Terraplane (with a flat-crown fork and an aftermarket head badge), just like the rest of yinz. I also wouldn't kick a Crumpton or some other high-end carbon confection out of bed.

54ny77
07-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Cancellara's bike with the internal motor.

jr59
07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Ellis-Cycles-Strada-Fango-gravel-road-bike.jpg

My favorite bike (like the one I wanted tu buy and ride) at NAHBS. Unfortunately my life is not as "baller-riffic" as it needs to be to pull it off. My road bike loses sleep over this bike every night...as it would probably see very little use if I owned this creation.

If you ride mine and Robs size, you are welcome to ride mine, as soon as Dave finishes it! I loved that bike the min I saw it and put the $$$ down before I left the show!

JR59 has a (or had) a Co-Motion Ride that would be ideal for a full time commuter. I still think of ways to try to take that off his hands. As for a true road bike I would have Moots weld me up a custom fitted machine and be happy for a long time. I love my steel and have little interest is carbon. I have thought of late that a Cannondale CAAD 9 or 10 outfitted with Ultegra or Chorus may be a true diamond in the rough.

The Co-motion belonged to Cat6 before I got it. It since has found a new home. (sorry)

weisan
07-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Old-pal, everything sounds good, until the C and the D word come up, it's all downhill after that...:p

I too lust after a Luigino built to order, esp. after riding DBRK's several years ago during FingerLakeTour which was at least two sizes too big...and baby blue please.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tqPmJ1hTz8E/SslYYAPFvaI/AAAAAAAAAIw/nLe2ytyurzY/s1600/PA040547.JPG

Steve in SLO
07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
A Holland Exogrid would be really cool to check out.

slidey
07-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Back-to-back: Cyfac Absolu, Crumpton SL Road or whatever the best offering is from each, at the time of my winning this lottery

cnighbor1
07-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes I second a SS frame and fork all polished
Charles
[QUOTE=gomango;1391020]I'd love to get my mitts on a stainless steel Dave Anderson all-rounder.

Black Dog
07-28-2013, 04:55 PM
This post is causing my head to explode. So many possible bikes to choose from. Seriously, every time I come up with a bike another one pops up in my head. :eek: I have to tell myself that picking one does not preclude all others.

I choose 3 Ti bikes. I have no love for Carbon and have ridden many a steel bike. I am on my dream Ti bike now and would love to compare some apples to my apple.

Spectrum
Serrota Legend
Moots

false_Aest
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Is there a Chittychittybangbang of bicycles? Cuz that's what I want.

Dave B
07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
There are a slew of IF models I would like to try. Corvus, jester, XS, Ti FlW in cross and mtb.

I also loved Jack Brunk's full susser black sheep.

Jack also had a Time or Look mtb with an ISP that I coveted!

zap
07-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Moots RSL......just to see if ti does make for a proper race bike.

CNY rider
07-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't know when the "next" is going to happen for me because I'm very fortunate to have great bicycles to ride right now, and I don't really feel the need to add anything.

Having said that, there is something really special about how my Goodrich rides. I've never tried a 650b bike, but it's an itch I probably will need to scratch at some point. I can't think of anyone better to execute a 650b bike than Curt.

RedRider
07-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Here you go...

hainy
07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
As I have only riden steel I would like to try:

Custom Passoni
Custom Crumpton

Maybe my 60th Birthday so I have 7 years to save

charliedid
07-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I want a WTB Phoenix with a Potts Type II fork.

Ozrider
07-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Parlee Z Zero
Crumpton
Eriksen Ti
Firefly
Pegoretti
Mosaic
DeKerf Ti

Wilkinson4
07-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Kinda lame but I have never ridden a full suspension MTB. I think I may go rent one for a day later this summer. Something with a Roloff would be cool too. Or, maybe one of Cipollini's Bond bikes with Campy EPS.

mIKE

FlashUNC
07-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Colnago C-59.

Merckx MXL.

Surly Moonlander.

Some sort of Yamaguchi.

It's a weird list.

fiamme red
07-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Moulton New Series Double Pylon.

pinkshogun
07-28-2013, 08:33 PM
as a lugged steel rider a Peter Weigle rando bike peeks my interest. another builder, Chapman Cycles also interests me

i took in payment an aluminum Trek 2.3 frameset. for a brief moment i wondered what that would be like but then the moment past

texbike
07-28-2013, 08:45 PM
I'd like to try one of the Black Mountain Cycle road bikes. I'm really interested in trying one of the wide-tired, do-it-all style road machines and this is the stock one that I keep coming back to.

Outside of that, I'd like to try a Moots Psychlo-X and one of the new Condor/Rapha steel machines (Super Acciaio).

Oops and it would also be cool to throw a leg over a Kellogg-designed Ti Spectrum (level top tube please) or one of their anniversary, lugged steel masterpieces.

While we're headed down the path, it would be fun to try out an Ellis and an Alliance steel creation.

I guess this bike lust thing isn't as "at rest" as I thought it was. Oh well.... :rolleyes:

Texbike

wallymann
07-28-2013, 09:21 PM
...we ride the same size frame! :)

http://www.visitflanders.us/binaries/eddy-merckx-(c)chris-protopapas.jpg

choke
07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
At the top of my list would be a Hetchin's with vibrant stays.

I loved that bike the min I saw it and put the $$$ down before I left the show! I don't think 'love' is a strong enough term. You did everything in your power (short of knocking Dave over the head) to take the show bike home.

velotel
07-29-2013, 12:11 AM
A Parlee or equivalent in carbon, a stainless steel built by I don't know who, and a Peg just to see what everyone is talking about. I've spent so many years on ti that I have really zero experience with anything else. My Eriksen works so well that to be honest I really never even think about any other bike outside of the Parlee. I also have no idea why really I'm intrigued by the Parlee. Or an equivalent. The stainless steel and Peg are out of pure curiosity.

zetroc
07-29-2013, 02:00 AM
I'd love to check out an Argonaut, Crumpton, Meivici, carbon Land Shark, ti/carbon Firefly, Calfee Dragonfly, Parlee Z1. No particular order.

victoryfactory
07-29-2013, 04:40 AM
There are car rental places that specialize in exotics for people
who always wanted to drive a Porsche or Ferrari etc.
How about a bike version?
Plunk down your bucks and take one for a spin.
VF

jr59
07-29-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't think 'love' is a strong enough term. You did everything in your power (short of knocking Dave over the head) to take the show bike home.

Who me???:cool: Yea, so what? I offered Dave a rather large stack of hundreds for the bike. He wouldn't sell it. Is that so bad? Besides, it was one of the few bikes there that would fit me!:p

jambee
07-29-2013, 10:07 AM
I recently had the opportunity to test ride (17 miles) a Seven Mudhoney S on some nice new England trails.
It was totally a mind bending experience. After reading about riding Ti bikes for a long time, I finally had the opportunity to ride one and even though the ride was short (and fast) it demonstrated the material's ability and the awesomeness of the builder.

I only wish that I could test it on a longer stretch that's part of my normal loop - a loop I know well and have experience with when riding my Hunter for example.

On my wishlist for a bike to try is the Moots IMBA RCR (Routt County Riders) NAHBS 2013 showbike. I'd like to ride it in January around here (Berlin). I can bring my own 6 pack and may not need the chainsaw.

fiamme red
07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
I'd also like to try a British racing tricycle.

sparky33
07-29-2013, 10:44 AM
I recently had the opportunity to test ride (17 miles) a Seven Mudhoney S on some nice new England trails.

This one is on my short list of tried and liked enough to want to buy. Nice folks over at Seven too.

Formulasaab
07-29-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines as Wallyman...

In the general terms of Lloyd Dobler, any bike that can be sold, bought, or processed today has less interest that those that are unobtainable one of a kinds because of their historical place. So, I'd like to try...

Moser's hour record bike
LeMond's 1989 TdF Final Stage bike
Miguel Indurain's Pinarello Espada
Andy Hampsten's 1988 7-Eleven Huffy Giro d'Italia
Anything Eddy rode during his heyday(s)

professerr
07-29-2013, 01:35 PM
One of those Calfee bamboo bikes. With wooden Ghisallo wheels.

sante pollastri
07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Always the newest Colnago carbon model,the real pinnacle,IMO.

Aaron_Kellogg
07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Gotta say I'd love to ride a Ti Firefly someday. I realize that may seem like a pretty un-exotic request but for me it's definitely the ultimate in a dream "forever" bike.

Waldo
07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Colnago C40
Cherubim Piuma

and ...

my legs from 20 years ago.

choke
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Who me???:cool: Yea, so what? I offered Dave a rather large stack of hundreds for the bike. He wouldn't sell it. Is that so bad? Besides, it was one of the few bikes there that would fit me!:p It's not bad at all, I'd have even helped you pack it up for shipment. :hello:

bicycletricycle
07-29-2013, 07:55 PM
stainless double pylon moulton

alexstar
07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Landshark pro carbon.

Crumpton.

MX-Leader.

JP Weigle.

Speedvagen.

Colnago Master. (Loved my Supers)

Kirk JKS X Terraplane (though I'm just waiting for my number to come up...)

irideti
07-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I ride a Crumpton SL and ordered a Type 5 after this year's NAHBS. However I would like to try top of line carbon bike from big brands and see how they compare - Dogma, C59, Tarmac, Madone, C'dale, Look...

soulspinner
07-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Cyfac Absolu custom, C59

tuscanyswe
07-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Odly i dont really have alot of frames id love to try. But i would really like to try a good fitting crumpton.

DRZRM
07-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I don't think I'll ever own carbon, so I'd like to try an Argonaut, a Meivici and a Colnago C-59 to see what I'm missing.

More realistically a Sachs, a Kirk, a Zanc Max road frame and A Firefly ti road frame are on my bucket list.

Likes2ridefar
07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
i really want to try a Jones Ti space frame and truss fork.

keevon
07-30-2013, 08:36 AM
I'd love to try the full Jan Heine experience: 42x650b Hetres / "superlight" steel tubing / low trail / integrated racks & fenders / generator lighting / handlebar bag / etc.

Curious to see if that planing thing is the real deal, and if the "fast marshmallow" sensation of Hetres really is fast. I also want to see just how bad the shimmy is with this setup.

DerekG
07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
A dirt gravel since we dont have that kind of riding here

A rando since I don't tour

I have some friends in your neck of the woods who ride Centurions over Mt. Tam's gravel roads. They are more or less a touring bike so you could kill two birds with that stone.

Ever since I saw the movie "The Cyclocross Meeting" I've lusted over the Nakagawa bikes. I'm sure the domestic selection is fantastic but I've there's something about that guy that makes me think his bikes are pretty special.

bambam
07-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Mariposa (Rando or race)
Bruce Gordon
Eisentraut
Peg (Day is done or any other)
Hetchins with vibrant stays
Ciocc
Crumpton
Colnago c50
Colnago Master light

No particular order. and I'm sure I can think of others but these are just off the top of my head.

rain dogs
07-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Steel: Speedvagen (cause Sacha is doing a lot with those things)
Aluminum: Orbea Arin (cause that's too light to make sense)
Ti: Litespeed Ghisallo (cause it's so divisive)
Alt: a fully-faired recumbent (you aren't curious?)

vqdriver
07-30-2013, 11:06 PM
A twenty pound enduro bike that doesn't break

19wisconsin64
07-31-2013, 03:34 AM
A Nagasawa road / touring bicycle.

In 58 cm, please. Thank you.

beercan
07-31-2013, 06:52 AM
ti: kent eriksen road
plastic: BH G5 or Look 695
steel: zanc

fuzzalow
07-31-2013, 08:09 AM
There aren't that many bikes that I'd really like to try that aren't obtainable to some degree. And most bikes differences in ride are quite subtle once they have been dial-in.

So that rules out any production/builder bike and makes this answerable more to tune of historic bikes and if they could be magically made to fit me so I could test ride it.

Only one bike: Merckx's Colnago-but-Windsor-decaled Mexico City Hour Record bike. Test ridden on the track in Mexico City, if indeed that track even still exists.

For any mortal cyclist to labor the simplistic crudity of that bike around a track would undoubtedly give scale and perspective to Eddy's achievement.

fourflys
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
I'd love to try the full Jan Heine experience: 42x650b Hetres / "superlight" steel tubing / low trail / integrated racks & fenders / generator lighting / handlebar bag / etc.

Curious to see if that planing thing is the real deal, and if the "fast marshmallow" sensation of Hetres really is fast. I also want to see just how bad the shimmy is with this setup.
Agree!

rallizes
08-01-2013, 09:10 AM
54cm Pegoretti Responsorium

Minstrie
08-09-2013, 12:30 PM
54cm pegoretti responsorium

1+. And a Crumpton.

Broccoli Cog
08-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Seven 622 SLX
Serotta Meivici
Parlee Z-Zero

BikerBri
08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Moots Vamoots RSL

cnighbor1
08-10-2013, 05:26 PM
any custom Peter Weigle bicycle would do for me. but this path racer would do fine!!
Charles Nighbor

soulspinner
08-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Seven 622 SLX
Serotta Meivici
Parlee Z-Zero

Like this list a lot. I cant at 57 do justice to it like I could when I was 25 years younger but you got the fast stuff covered pretty well.