PDA

View Full Version : My Sincere Complements to this Forum

RFC
07-27-2013, 02:53 AM
I've been meaning to write this post for some time.

I have been riding road bikes for 40 years and MTBs for 20 years. I've been doing this so long that, on weekends, I walk around in bike shorts all day and don't care (unless I'm scaring someone).

What I love about this forum is that, despite the Serotta split, it has become the all purpose bike aficionado forum and fits my own riding experience, interests and riding collection. Road, touring, CX, MTB, allarounder, C&V, etc. Steel, CF, Ti, Alu, etc. Riding experience, training tips, road racing news, etc. A minimum of cycling cliques, i.e., road nazis angsting about how to wear sunglasses and MTB riders angsting about road nazis.

All polite and informative.

In other words, this forum represents my own experience and interests.

My thanks,

RFC

That is "complements" or "compliments" Both apply.

toytech
07-27-2013, 05:00 PM
amen.:beer:

josephr
07-27-2013, 05:45 PM
your electrolytes running low or something?
Joe

ctcyclistbob
07-27-2013, 08:39 PM
well said.

pbarry
07-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Group Hug! :hello:

firerescuefin
07-27-2013, 09:07 PM
I want to thank "myself" for my many contributions to the forum...and just making this place a better one all around :cool:.........;)

To RFC's point...I too enjoy coming here and hearing about all things cycling..and off topic :)

KidWok
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Agree wholeheartedly...

Tai

William
07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey, it's all YOU!! Thanks for making this a great place to hang out and share!:cool:

William

SlackMan
07-27-2013, 10:58 PM
I've been meaning to write this post for some time.

I have been riding road bikes for 40 years and MTBs for 20 years. I've been doing this so long that, on weekends, I walk around in bike shorts all day and don't care (unless I'm scaring someone).

What I love about this forum is that, despite the Serotta split, it has become the all purpose bike aficionado forum and fits my own riding experience, interests and riding collection. Road, touring, CX, MTB, allarounder, C&V, etc. Steel, CF, Ti, Alu, etc. Riding experience, training tips, road racing news, etc. A minimum of cycling cliques, i.e., road nazis angsting about how to wear sunglasses and MTB riders angsting about road nazis.

All polite and informative.

In other words, this forum represents my own experience and interests.

My thanks,

RFC

That is "complements" or "compliments" Both apply.

So many interactions on the Internet, and more generally in society, are the exact opposite of what you describe. In essence, our society has lost a lot of its civility and its sense of community. I too have seen a great sense of community here, and am very glad indeed for it.:beer:

SpokeValley
07-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Absolutely and enthusiastically agree! :banana:

RFC
07-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Actually, I kind of like the low electrolyte theory. That's certainly how I felt today after riding in the 100 plus heat. LOL!

TBDSeattle
07-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Absolutely and enthusiastically agree! :banana:

Out of all the "places" I spend time on the internet, this is by far the most civil and most informed. I come here when I need a breath of fresh air, insight on a bike problem, or an opportunity to read complete thoughts on complicated topics.

Thank you forum, and thank you forum members!

A.Danger
07-28-2013, 12:13 PM
^yes, this. I enjoy the wealth of knowledge and the (mostly) civilized tone of this forum. The adolescent hazing and rampant sexism of other forums becomes tedious.

Chance
07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
So many interactions on the Internet, and more generally in society, are the exact opposite of what you describe. In essence, our society has lost a lot of its civility and its sense of community. I too have seen a great sense of community here, and am very glad indeed for it.:beer:

Not sure my general view is quite the same; not when it’s forced or under threat of punishment. Civility is when people are civil on their own, not when they are forcedly kept apart so they don’t start fights.

Civility is being able to discuss different subjects, even those of controversial nature, without the need for mandatory censorship. Apparently that can’t happen because a few hotheads often ruin the day for everyone else. My personal opinion is that being restricted to non-controversial subjects doesn’t make us a civil group. Just muffled.

The day we can openly talk about politics, religion, race, ethnicity, or whatever without having threads locked is the day we are truly civil in my opinion.

Also, some very talented members no longer participate (or participate very little) in this forum because of this issue. So this perceived forced “civility” does come at a price.

Not criticizing forum management because the collective doesn’t give them a choice, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves about being better than we are.:o

BumbleBeeDave
07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
. . . that is truly prohibited here is partisan politics. We mods did that because it was our experience that 100% of those threads degenerated. It was only a matter of when, not if. Even then, we have had threads concerning various government policies, that are OK as long as partisanship is not brought up.

I've always thought of the forum as being your neighborhood cycling tavern, open 24/7, where no matter what time it is you can wander in, pull up a chair, and know there will be somebody there to shoot the breeze with.

Thugs who stroll in and pee on the carpet or challenge everybody to a fight are not welcome, but you have to let the manager know they are there before he can have the bouncer throw them out. The more help we have from members in letting us know when something like this happens, the better a job we can do of allowing just about anything to be discussed as long as it's civil.

We also try to keep in mind that anybody at all from anywhere on the planet can walk in at any moment, and we want to run a class joint where you know you can bring your family for dinner if you want without being embarrassed. It may get loud and boisterous, but never too embarrassing. :rolleyes:

BBD

firerescuefin
07-28-2013, 07:55 PM
So you have a higher standard for an Internet forum than the real world. Utopia exists where...and please show me any discussion board that is as civil and friendly as this one...that is willing to go "off the board" regarding topics. Don't know about you, but I have made real life friends on here...actual bike rides...meals...people staying in my home..other people's homes open to me. Not perfect, but the OP was spot on IMO. If others felt another place better represented their interests, then I hope they found their version of "the place to be". This doesn't need to be nor could I ever imagine it being all things to all people.

Not sure my general view is quite the same; not when it’s forced or under threat of punishment. Civility is when people are civil on their own, not when they are forcedly kept apart so they don’t start fights.

Civility is being able to discuss different subjects, even those of controversial nature, without the need for mandatory censorship. Apparently that can’t happen because a few hotheads often ruin the day for everyone else. My personal opinion is that being restricted to non-controversial subjects doesn’t make us a civil group. Just muffled.

The day we can openly talk about politics, religion, race, ethnicity, or whatever without having threads locked is the day we are truly civil in my opinion.

Also, some very talented members no longer participate (or participate very little) in this forum because of this issue. So this perceived forced “civility” does come at a price.

Not criticizing forum management because the collective doesn’t give them a choice, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves about being better than we are.:o