PDA

View Full Version : Classic Steel + Carbon Fork Question...

buldogge
07-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Has anyone paired their classic steel frame with a carbon fork...specifically swapping in a carbon fork after using the original steel fork???

I have a cf fork on my EL-OS Chesini Innovation...but...I never owned the original steel fork. The Chesini is the lightest steel bike I own @ 18.5# (w/ Chorus 11 and modernish wheels/saddle/post/cockpit/etc.).

I'm considering trying my De Rosa "Pro" (SLX) with either a Kestrel EMS Pro (steel steerer) I have lying around, or another Columbus Minimal (full CF).

I would probably top it with a Cinelli Grammo Ti stem I have in the stash.

It's all easily reversible of course, so no biggie...in the end.

Thoughts?

-Mark in St. Louis

cnighbor1
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Many steel bikes sold with CF forks Has CF absorbs vibrations very well so go ahead and try it
Steel also good at absorbing vibrations but CF may prove to be a bit better

phcollard
07-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Is your De Rosa a lugged SLX? I have a hard time believing the classic afficionados - count me in the group - would find it aesthetically appealing with a Columbus Minimal. I think a classic lugged steel should be kept paired with its classic crown fork. But then I know some who switched the fork on their Merckx for a carbon fork. If you like the idea do it, but not something that I would do myself.

thirdgenbird
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
I got my EL-OS tecno with both an ec90sl and the stock fork. I immediately installed the stock fork and don't regret it. I briefly used the carbon fork in another steel frame but it wasnt for me. The fork dropped a lot of weight and looked fine, but it wasnt enough to make up for the added lateral flex and axle to crown height change. If you used a stiffer fork (or weighed less) and found one with correct geometry, I would say go for it.

buldogge
07-26-2013, 06:19 PM
I haven't had a chance to check measurements yet, but will tonight.

We'll see if either the Kestrel or Columbus fork has similar A-C measurement and rake.

You definitely give up some stiffness with a 1" cf fork.

-Mark

Llewellyn
07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
My frame originally had a CF fork but I changed it to a steel one when I had the frame resprayed. I can't say whether the CF one was any more comfortable than the steel one but the steel fork looks a thousand times better.

As someone else said, it seems a shame to use a CF fork on a classic steel frame. Just my $0.02 of course

Ralph
07-26-2013, 06:59 PM
If aesthetics are important, on an older "classic" steel frame, use the matching fork. Otherwise, why not use the CF fork. I'm having a new Jonathan Greene steel frame made and will use an Enve CF fork. It's cheaper than a steel fork and about a lb lighter.

Louis
07-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Has anyone paired their classic steel frame with a carbon fork...specifically swapping in a carbon fork after using the original steel fork???

I’m not sure I’d call my old Trek 400 a “classic” (in hindsight, I now know that it was a noodle and handled like a truck) but it certainly was steel, and came with a steel fork (this was long ago, so 1” steerer tube). After an accident I swapped out the original fork for a Kestrel EMS Pro. The only real difference I noticed is that when going over steps in the road, small potholes, or train tracks, the CF fork went “thud” whereas the original steel went “twang.”

In other words, the CF fork seemed to have significantly more damping than the steel. Other than that, I didn’t notice any changes in the ride itself or in the fork stiffness.

That fork has been a workhorse and I’m still using it today in my daily driver.

lhuerta
07-26-2013, 07:11 PM
...carbon fork will work fine on any classic steel steed, just make sure u match the fork rake. Lou

buldogge
07-26-2013, 07:13 PM
The De Rosa is an '85 SLX, I've had it for a few years...it is built up with Campy Centaur 10s and an original panto'd SR crank. It rides very nice, but can't compare to the ride of the EL-OS bike...was just thinking of switching things up a bit...for a change, as it were.

Here's a couple pics, first one before the 10s, both running Gipiemme 42mm wheelset at the time:

-Mark

maunahaole
07-26-2013, 07:21 PM
If you like it roll with it. If not, switch it back. Your butt is best calibrated to determine your tastes. In any event, don't part with the original steel fork, unless the frame goes with it.

zmudshark
07-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Mark, my understanding, and I'm often wrong, is that De Rosa actually paired forks with frames. It may be difficult duplicating the intended ride characteristics with a carbon fork.

FWIW, I find the ride of my SLX De Rosa of the same era as yours superior to my EL OS Primato from the 90's on the crappy roads I have in Michigan. In Arizona, my Primato is better. I only have one bike with a CF fork, a Cinelli Nuovo Supercorsa, and it came with it (Columbus Carve), and rides very well. It's a close second to my Primato with an original flat crown fork.

If it were me, I'd keep the original steel fork on the De Rosa Pro. I can't see any advantage to changing it for a CF.

pbarry
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
What don't you like about the OEM fork?

buldogge
07-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Nothing at all...just trying to shed a little weight and change things up...the OE fork and Record headset will be safe and sound in a box.

Heck...I might try the cf and hate it...really just an hour, tops, of work to swap everything and re-wrap the bars.

We'll see if I even get around to it this weekend. I guess I would try the EMS Pro first, as I would have to order another Columbus Minimal...EMS Pro weighs 625g (as it sits), Minimal maybe 325.

-Mark

What don't you like about the OEM fork?

pbarry
07-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a good R 'n D effort. Let us know how CF rides compared to the original steel. Plenty of frames out there FS with missing or replaced forks, so I'm interested to hear how CF works on a sled you know well.

buldogge
07-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Will do... The A-C of the Kestrel and Columbus seem to be 369mm...not 100% on the OE, but appears to only be a few mm longer...maybe 372. I'll measure the rake of the OE once I pull it out, but it seems to be "close" to 45mm.

-Mark

Sounds like a good R 'n D effort. Let us know how CF rides compared to the original steel. Plenty of frames out there FS with missing or replaced forks, so I'm interested to hear how CF works on a sled you know well.

Rada
07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
A couple of years ago I got a hold of an Appel frame sans the fork. Finding a nice threaded 1" Columbus steel fork that would fit my frame, that was not pantographed, and did not cost an arm and a leg was proving difficult so I went with a 1" carbon fork. I did the build with a 10 speed drivetrain and it turned out very nice to me.

mister
07-28-2013, 10:16 AM
if the axle to crown length is different, then you're changing much more than just rake, weight and damping

and being from '85 i'd guess the original atc measurement is going to be a good amount shorter than most carbon forks you'll be able to find

mister
07-28-2013, 10:19 AM
ps dave kirk made a good post about that a long time ago
might be able to search it out if you're interested in knowing

bikemoore
07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I replaced the original Al fork on my steel Serotta Colorado TG with a Nashbar carbon fork. ...it really transformed the ride of the front end. The aluminum fork was just not stiff enough and required a smooth touch when descending and braking. Even a cheap carbon fork with a steel crown was a huge improvement. ..but that was a replacement of an Al fork. Difference if the original fork were steel probably would not be so drastic.

Hindmost
07-28-2013, 11:41 AM
15 years ago this was Reynolds' business model: aftermarket 1" cf forks. It was a way to "upgrade" a steel bike.

I tried cf forks on two bikes. Yes, I think it improved the ride. I switched one bike back to the steel fork because it didn't look right.

This market has all but vanished.

buldogge
07-28-2013, 04:01 PM
So, I pulled the OE fork today.

The De Rosa steel fork weighs 765g (57cm frame).

I've calculated a weight savings of 1.3# using the Columbus Minimal, a theoretical 150g stem, 20mm alloy spacer(s), and a Cane Creek C2 headset.

The A-C measurement is 3mm shorter on the OE fork (366mm vs 369mm).

The rake appears to be 45mm.

The only markings on the steerer are the Columbus dove and a '4'.

I also used the opportunity to strip the thickish paint from the fork crown top, exposing the chrome and really shallow 'De Rosa' pantos.

-Mark

cachagua
07-28-2013, 06:02 PM
...carbon fork will work fine on any classic steel steed, just make sure u match the fork rake. . .

I put a Time carbon fork into my Merckx Corsa Extra as an experiment, specifically because I didn't like the handling with the original steel fork. Shock absorption and flex? Very hard to tell the difference. Handling? Cleaned it right up. Really a huge improvement. So I'd modify the above to say, match the rake if you like the handling, but you may decide you want to change it.

(Esthetics: in the case of my Merckx, the Time fork is horribly wrong, but the whole bike's such a hopeless mishmash it doesn't matter. For those of you who have self-respecting bikes, though, that may be a consideration.)