PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on S & S luggage?

DAG
07-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Have the chance to pick up a travel bike, and I'm wondering what case preferences people have.
:help:

CaptStash
07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I have the S&S hard case with the full length piano hinge and butterfly latches. Wheels are on one end which makes towing it with one hand...not easy but not so bad either. The case isn't light, but with the bike, tools, a Pedros stand pump and shoes/kit, it consistently weighs under 50 lbs. The thing has been very tough and is going on 2.5 years old with an average of maybe 24 flights a year.

CaptStash....

kramnnim
07-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I just came back from travelling with this case- http://www.ebay.com/itm/SandS-bicycle-travel-case-option-/221195656537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338049dd59

The wheel placement worked well for wide, uncrowded spaces, but made it difficult to get through the many barriers scattered throughout airports and metro stations. Cheaper than most other options, though.

Pete Mckeon
07-25-2013, 01:58 PM
i have been using over 5 years/ Challenges are sill TSA inspection and you packing in such a way that the TSA does not goof! on closing:mad:

I have the S&S hard case with the full length piano hinge and butterfly latches. Wheels are on one end which makes towing it with one hand...not easy but not so bad either. The case isn't light, but with the bike, tools, a Pedros stand pump and shoes/kit, it consistently weighs under 50 lbs. The thing has been very tough and is going on 2.5 years old with an average of maybe 24 flights a year.

CaptStash....

VPI
07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
I use the edge pull 10" grey S&S Case. Well built and formal enough, in my mind, not to scream bike at the airport.

Kirk007
07-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I like the soft shell that Co-Motion sells. Lighter than the hard shell and I haven't had any issues. Eugene LBS owner claims (well, a few years ago anyway) that CO-Mo was seeing more damage to bikes in hard shells than the soft shell, the theory being that hard shells get lots of bags loaded on top whereas the soft shells go on the top of the pile.

Kirk007
07-25-2013, 04:35 PM
I like the soft shell that Co-Motion sells. Lighter than the hard shell and I haven't had any issues. Eugene LBS owner claims (well, a few years ago anyway) that CO-Mo was seeing more damage to bikes in hard shells than the soft shell, the theory being that hard shells get lots of bags loaded on top whereas the soft shells go on the top of the pile.

bargainguy
07-25-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm a folding nut and travel with my folders often. It seems counterintuitive, but soft cases really do work better. I've had my folders damaged while in hard cases, whereas I've never had a folder in a soft case suffer any damage.

If you do go for hard cases, one tip: Get a bungee, strap or some other rigging and wrap it around the bike so that it can be lifted out of the case in one piece (and put back the same way). Makes it easier for TSA to examine without having to deal with splayed folding bits.

eddief
07-25-2013, 05:14 PM
We have not heard a lot of positive anecdotal stories about baggage handlers who impress us with their ability and willingness to be discerning in their caring approach to property of John Q. Public. The soft luggage sell never quite makes sense to me.