PDA

View Full Version : Rider Down

Matt-H
07-25-2013, 09:33 AM
When my phone rang 6:45 Monday morning with my wife's caller ID staring back at me, I jokingly asked if she needed a flat fixed (she has flat fix issues). She replied that she had an accident and that I needed to come and get her. She sounded a bit shaken, but I figured some rash, maybe a mechanical. I roused the kids out of bed, piled them in the car and drove the three miles or so to find her. I was not expecting what I found.

She was sitting on a curb, which I believe she hit with her head by the looks of her helmet, with a woman who was comforting her. My wife asked how I found her and did she call me? I explained that she did call while I briefly checked for her over for injuries. Twenty seconds later she asked how I found her and did she call me? Besides the blood running down her face, I noticed an egg on her forehead under her broken helmet. Her elbow looked "wrong" and the infinite loop of questions began...

At the ER I was told to find the kids a place to stay and come back ASAP and that she was in good hands. Upon returning to the ER not long after, a nurse told me a trauma team was waiting for me in a private room. I walked in, was introduced to the team, and was told that CT and X-rays indicated my wife had some serious injuries. Although there was no brain bleed or nerve damage/weakness/paralysis at the time, she did suffer a broken neck at C6, C7 and T1. Additionally, she had a concussion and a broken arm at the elbow. Reality was starting to sink in...

Three very long, emotional, anxious days and one surgery later to repair her broken arm, the fog is lifting and she continues to improve with no signs of neurological damage! She is an amazingly strong woman, both physically and mentally. She is in PT, OT, walking and to her boss's dismay, sneaking in work e-mails. Slowing her down to allow her time to heal is clearly my biggest challenge.

She has been cleared by everyone but neuro for discharge. She is in quite a bit of pain, but it appears she will have a full recovery. 6-12 weeks in a neck brace will present some challenges, but is doable. This could have been far worse. I am so thankful for friends and family who have been helping in every way possible. It is going to be a tough few months ahead, but compared to what it could have been, I feel insanely blessed.

Hug your loved ones today let them know how much you love them.

weatherman
07-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Thoughts and prayers to your wife (and family), great to hear a full recovery is likely. Any idea what exactly happened?

54ny77
07-25-2013, 09:39 AM
godspeed on quick and effective recovery. :)

FlashUNC
07-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I can empathize with your wife's arm trauma. Broke my elbow is a nasty crash last year, and it was an incredibly painful injury to get over with surgery and extensive PT, though thankfully I didn't have to deal with any head/neck trauma related to that.

Keep fighting the good fight.

bambam
07-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Healthy and speedy recovery.

A friend hit a Lab a few weeks ago and broke his neck as well. He is expected to recover. I have been sending out good vibes to him and will now include your wife.

cc700
07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Very glad to hear she's doing so well after such a traumatic and terrifying experience. Best of luck to you and your family!

Neurological issues are super scary, sounds like you're coping well. I'd be a mess.

MattTuck
07-25-2013, 10:08 AM
All my best wishes and energy are being sent her way.

Pars
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Best wishes on your wife's recovery.

rwsaunders
07-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Tell your wife that by you simply posting news of her accident, that she has some serious good vibes coming from cyclists from all over the world, this one included. Keep an eye on her too, as Mothers tend to put aside their own well-being by taking care of others before themselves. I know....I have one of those at home too.

joep2517
07-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Matt - thoughts and prayers going your way. I hope your wife heals quickly.

David Kirk
07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of the crash and injuries - best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Dave

cmbicycles
07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Good to hear that she is recovering well, all things considered, and that things were not worse. Wishing her a speedy recovery. It is a blessing to have good families and friends to help out.

soulspinner
07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
God bless man. Prayers for 100 percent recovery.

redir
07-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Matt-H I am so sorry to hear such stories, best to you and your wife and family. This is the kind of nightmare we all think will never happen till it does.

AngryScientist
07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
must be a very scarey thing to go through. good news that she should make a full recovery, no doubt that being a healthy, fit, strong willed individual is helping that fight. wishing her the best.

is there any idea what happened that caused her to go down??

gavingould
07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
craziness. sending my best.

Steve in SLO
07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
It sounds like she is coming along, and it sounds like her helmet saved her from far worse. Best wishes to her, and to you and the kids.

TomNY
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I am reminded nearly everyday this sport, this "way of life" we embrace is full of the "unexpected". I extend my empathy to you and hope your wife a speedy recovery and return to form.

cfox
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
That is a terrifying story. Positive thoughts your way for your wife's recovery.

PaMtbRider
07-25-2013, 10:52 AM
That can be a terrifying and very emotional experience to go through with a loved one. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

DerekB
07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
More thoughts and well wishes headed your way.
Stay strong for her.

merlinmurph
07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Wow, tough crash, I wish her, you and your family the best of luck in her recovery.

Hate to say it, but it could have been worse. Scary moments, nonetheless.

Murph

fuzzalow
07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
It is dangerous out there. And as bad as it seems at first glance, in retrospect there was always a bit of luck that kept things from getting worse. Better lucky than good anyday. Best wishes to a speedy recovery.

shovelhd
07-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Best to your wife.

stien
07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Wow. Sad that she was hurt but an amazing result to what could have been tragic.

pitonpat
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Having recently crashed myself, although with lesser injuries, I sincerely wish your wife my best wishes on a speedy recovery and return to good health.

Our chosen pursuit unfortunately is fraught with risk, and it's sometimes hard to objectively weigh the risks and the benefits, particularly when our families are subject to the outcome of that debate. I grapple with this dilemma regularly and hope that you and your family will achieve a happy outcome from this accident.

Sincerely, Pat

Jaq
07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Best wishes. She's got you; she's already ahead of the game.

duncanknudsen
07-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Good luck with the recovery, rubber side down!

slidey
07-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Here's wishing her a speedy, and effective recovery.

dekindy
07-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Glad she is going to be alright!

malcolm
07-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear of her accident. Hope she heals quickly and being fit will help.

Bruce K
07-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Hang in there Matt

We're all sending good vibes your way

BK

josephr
07-25-2013, 12:13 PM
She's a lucky one. Hope she gets better soon!
Joe

SpokeValley
07-25-2013, 12:15 PM
All of our prayers to your bride for a speedy recovery and to you for patience and continued wisdom.

Tim Porter
07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Very terrifying. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery. Tim

SpeedyChix
07-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Life can turn so quickly. To a quick and complete recovery! Really try to get her to let her head "rest". The brain will need it. Sounds like that could be a big challenge with her.

nbl78s
07-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Can't imagine going in to face a trauma team! Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

EDS
07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
That is awful but great that she appears headed to a full recovery. I know my wife has had to deal with getting calls from my teammates that I was headed to the emergency room.

I hope the kids did not have to see mom at the crash site. My 2.5 year old gets really upset if she thinks either me or my wife is really hurt. Is that typical of little kids?

tele
07-25-2013, 12:51 PM
best to you and your wife, amazing how I started wearing a helmet after the kids came along. Glad your wife was wearing a helmet, I'm sure it helped!

pdmtong
07-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Besides this happening to ones own self, this is everyones worst nightmare. spouse, or kid

FWIW my wife has her C6/7 fused. Titanium plate. Had to set her bikes a bit more upright as a result but she is still riding. I am sure this is the last thing on your mind right now.

I wish her well. And you and the kids.

yoshirider
07-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

alessandro
07-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Matt, so sorry to hear about this, and glad that your wife is doing well so far. Also amazing that she sounds as good as she is after cervical fractures. But this is a critical period for recovery from a concussion, and it sounds like she's doing too much too soon. Doing PT and OT daily is probably enough right now. Taking a step back from work and family life is very difficult for women, but you need to impress on her that she needs to stop looking at email, stop trying to get back to her pre-crash pace so quickly, and go slowly for a while. It could be a week, or two, or more, depending on the severity of the concussion and the clinical assessment of her doctor.

Maybe her boss can tell her to lay off looking at email for a while?

Has the neurologist reviewed concussion recovery with her? (Not the neurosurgeon/orthopedic spine surgeon.) It's a hard pill to swallow, but doing nothing is the best medicine. This is from the CDC's Concussion & TBI page (http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/feel_better.html):

Rest is very important after a concussion because it helps the brain to heal. Ignoring your symptoms and trying to “tough it out” often makes symptoms worse. Be patient because healing takes time. Only when your symptoms have reduced significantly, in consultation with your health care professional, should you slowly and gradually return to your daily activities, such as work or school. If your symptoms come back or you get new symptoms as you become more active, this is a sign that you are pushing yourself too hard. Stop these activities and take more time to rest and recover. As the days go by, you can expect to gradually feel better.

Getting Better: Tips for Adults

Get plenty of sleep at night, and rest during the day.
Avoid activities that are physically demanding (e.g., heavy housecleaning, weightlifting/working-out) or require a lot of concentration (e.g., balancing your checkbook). They can make your symptoms worse and slow your recovery.
Avoid activities, such as contact or recreational sports, that could lead to another concussion. (It is best to avoid roller coasters or other high speed rides that can make your symptoms worse or even cause a concussion.)
When your health care professional says you are well enough, return to your normal activities gradually, not all at once.
Because your ability to react may be slower after a concussion, ask your health care professional when you can safely drive a car, ride a bike, or operate heavy equipment.
Talk with your health care professional about when you can return to work. Ask about how you can help your employer understand what has happened to you.
Consider talking with your employer about returning to work gradually and about changing your work activities or schedule until you recover (e.g., work half-days).
Take only those drugs that your health care professional has approved.
Do not drink alcoholic beverages until your health care professional says you are well enough. Alcohol and other drugs may slow your recovery and put you at risk of further injury.
Write down the things that may be harder than usual for you to remember.
If you’re easily distracted, try to do one thing at a time. For example, don’t try to watch TV while fixing dinner.
Consult with family members or close friends when making important decisions.
Do not neglect your basic needs, such as eating well and getting enough rest.
Avoid sustained computer use, including computer/video games early in the recovery process.
Some people report that flying in airplanes makes their symptoms worse shortly after a concussion.

regularguy412
07-25-2013, 01:28 PM
WOWIE! Been there, done that. Kinda.

Last year I was hit from behind by an SUV traveling about 55 mph (well, dunno really but it left 133 ft of skid marks BEFORE impact). I remember brakes and tires squealing and BOOM!. Don't remember flying thru the air. Witnesses said I flew about 25 feet (horizontally) and approx. 6 feet up in the air. I landed on the left side of my head. Helmet was crushed in a bit on the front/side. The helmet strap lacerated the back of my ear such that the cartilage was exposed. Plastic surgery to repair. Luckily, no broken bones. Only one night in hospital and very stiff and sore for a few weeks. One of the road rash cuts took over 3 months to heal.

Good luck with the recovery and hang in there. Cyclists are a tough bunch.

Mike in AR:beer:

SlackMan
07-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Prayers for complete healing and a speedy recovery.

Columbus SLX
07-25-2013, 01:52 PM
All the best to your wife and family for a solid recovery, Matt.

67-59
07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

moose8
07-25-2013, 02:37 PM
So sorry. It's horrible seeing anyone you love in pain. Good luck and our thoughts are with you.

William
07-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Wow! Wishing your wife a full and speedy recovery and nothing but the best for you and your family!

William

Jaq
07-25-2013, 02:41 PM
FWIW my wife has her C6/7 fused. Titanium plate.

And saved 15 grams!

(I kid, I kid...)

vqdriver
07-25-2013, 02:45 PM
best wishes for the recovery. agreed. as bad as it is, that could have been much worse. hope the kids are doing okay with it as well. depending on their age, it could be really tough to wrap your head around.

EA120711
07-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Clydesdale
07-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Prayers sent. Hope all continues to be well.

alpsantos
07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about the accident. Sending her some good healing vibes.

tuxbailey
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
This is very scary. I wish your family well and a speedy recovery for your wife.

A.Danger
07-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Wow. Best wishes.

Ralph
07-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for your wife and your family.

KidWok
07-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Dear lord...so sorry to hear this...so very sorry...glad to hear she survived but that's just awful. Best to your family...

Tai

bikeridah
07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Besides the blood running down her face, I noticed an egg on her forehead under her broken helmet. Her elbow looked "wrong" and the infinite loop of questions began...

First of, best wishes on a fast recovery and strength for you and the kids.

Are we to deduce that she was a victim of some ill-conceived prank?

tuxbailey
07-25-2013, 04:25 PM
First of, best wishes on a fast recovery and strength for you and the kids.

Are we to deduce that she was a victim of some ill-conceived prank?

I think the egg is description of a swollen bump in this case since she hit the curb hard?

norcalbiker
07-25-2013, 05:49 PM
thoughts and prayers to your wife (and family), great to hear a full recovery is likely. Any idea what exactly happened?

Yes!!! +1

Matt-H
07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
We are home. It feels good, but the last several hours have reassured me that life is going to be quite different for a while. Not bad, per se, but different. My wife is in some great pain but is managing to sleep a bit (so do I use this downtime wisely? Yeah, I think so...).

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, empathy and compassion. A few people commented that seeing a loved one in pain can be terrifying and emotional. In my case, this pretty much is dead-on. I don't consider myself incredibly patient, but a strong desire to be calm and patient seems to be a pretty cool by-product of all this.

As far as the crash itself, she was descending a narrow, newly paved road that has a rather nasty speed bump at the very bottom of the hill. Typically, all of the speed bumps in this area are painted bright yellow, but this one was not due to the recent paving. She has not ridden this road before and I believe never saw the bump at the bottom. The road is very black and the contrast is very poor between the road and bump. I think she either hit it at speed* or tried to slow at the last second. Either way, she went flying and I believe struck the curb with her head.

Tuxbailey hit the nail on the egg. Maybe it is a regional Pennsylvania word. We have a lot of farms here. Also, with three kids, we get alot of eggs in this house. Sometimes a dozen...

*not like 40 mph, but maybe more like low 20's?

Wilkinson4
07-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Holy crap. Your support group is here... Best wish to you family and her recovery.

mIKE

giverdada
07-27-2013, 04:27 PM
this is one of my realest and greatest fears. so much hope for you and your lady. i know just how that goes, piling kids into cars and going to find the lady... my best wishes.

nick.

chuckred
07-27-2013, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=Matt-H;1389977] A few people commented that seeing a loved one in pain can be terrifying and emotional. /QUOTE]

I was just about to say the same thing. Hang in there and let her heal! Best to you both and the kids!

SlackMan
07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
... A few people commented that seeing a loved one in pain can be terrifying and emotional.

It's not quite the same thing, but last year my dearly loved one (wife) was diagnosed with advanced stage breast cancer, so I know the punch in the gut feeling that future uncertainty brings. Strong faith in a greater power and lots of prayers and support from bunches of friends brought us throught it. I can't imagine going it alone...please know that you're not alone in this.

ultraman6970
07-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Is hard to see love ones with accidents but in those moments you have to be strong and do what you have to do, things already happened and panic at that moment doesn't solve a single thing. From what I read the OP just took and managed the things the right way... I'm happy his wife is doing great and now the scary times are basically over, time to leave that behind but always paying attention due to the head injury...

Hope she is doing better everyday...