PDA

View Full Version : TRP canti/inplace adjust question

Nooch
07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Just swapping my cx bike back to canti's (cr950's) from 8.4's, and took the opportunity to put the inplace adjust road pads/holders on instead of the chunky pads of old. Problem though, is that I can't get the pads low enough to strike the brake track. Is there a smaller bushing kit that I'm not aware of that would, in essence, allow the pad more traveling distance resulting in a lower strike? Right now I'm bottoming out on the slot and still hitting the tire with half a pad.

Of note, I didn't have this problem last year with the old long pads..

shovelhd
07-25-2013, 07:07 AM
I have Empella calipers with the Inplace pads and holders and have to run them all the way down in the calipers. I'm not sure about a bushing kit.

Nooch
07-25-2013, 08:45 AM
I have Empella calipers with the Inplace pads and holders and have to run them all the way down in the calipers. I'm not sure about a bushing kit.

Yeah, i've got these all the way down, and even filed a little bit further, but to no avail..

nooneline
07-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I've had this problem on one of my bikes with certain brakes and pads.

Your problem's gonna be compounded if you have either wide rims, or fairly fresh (thick) pads in the holders. Or both.

If you can get the pads closer to the canti arms, then they'll hit the brake track lower. So, consider trying Thinline pads (i had to remove all spacers and have the pad jammed right up against my canti arm; not the best, but hey, the brake works now). Inplace shoes are really great at what they do, but not if you can't get your whole brake system to work.

Nooch
07-25-2013, 08:59 AM
I've had this problem on one of my bikes with certain brakes and pads.

Your problem's gonna be compounded if you have either wide rims, or fairly fresh (thick) pads in the holders. Or both.

If you can get the pads closer to the canti arms, then they'll hit the brake track lower. So, consider trying Thinline pads (i had to remove all spacers and have the pad jammed right up against my canti arm; not the best, but hey, the brake works now). Inplace shoes are really great at what they do, but not if you can't get your whole brake system to work.

yep -- velocity a23s/major toms with brand new pads... thinline pads -- is that a pad only, or a pad/holder/etc that replace the inplace adjust?

thanks!

nooneline
07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
they're a pad + holder combo made by Kool Stop.

http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Thinline-Threaded-Brake/dp/B003WO7X4C

You can run all the conical spacers on the outside, to get the pads further from the rim, if you don't mind the inability to toe.