PDA

View Full Version : The last steel fork in the pro peloton?

zank
12-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I was admiring the Lightweights on Zabel's 6-day bike on pages 136-137 of this month's Cycle Sport. And...what's this??? A sweet steel fork, with a crown and all. I thought CF forks had proliferated to all pro bikes, even on the track. But, thankfully, I was wrong! And, it's white. Niiiice.

saab2000
12-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I was watching the '98 Giro. Pavel Tonkov rode a C40 with a steel fork. So did lots of other dudes. Steel forks are cool. I wish more bike makers made them. Pegoretti and Serotta should still be doing steel forks.

I am waiting to install a Reynolds Ouzo Pro to replace my Look HSC3 on my Merckx. If that doesn't work to stiffen the front end I will have a steel fork made and have it powdercoated black.

ergott
12-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Next time I race the Tour, I promise to have you make me a steel fork. ;) No bike maker is going to put the high;y skilled man hours to outfit an entire team with something as classy as that.

Big Dan
12-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Next time I race the Tour, I promise to have you make me a steel fork. ;) No bike maker is going to put the high;y skilled man hours to outfit an entire team with something as classy as that.

Agree with Ergott, lots of time for that. Anyways I love my steel forks .
Really liking my newest one the Merckx MXL fork..... :D

cpg
12-21-2005, 10:46 AM
I was watching the '98 Giro. Pavel Tonkov rode a C40 with a steel fork. So did lots of other dudes. Steel forks are cool. I wish more bike makers made them.

Some never stopped. I'm not naming names though.

Curt

saab2000
12-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Some never stopped. I'm not naming names though.

Curt

I'm not talking about you guys. I am mostly talking about Serotta and the CSI which (IMHO at least) should have had steel forks. Not dissing Serotta at all, but for me a lugged steel bike just doesn't work with a carbon fork. You can still get a Colnago Master, but no steel fork to go with it....... :crap:

My Strong has a steel fork and I am happy with it.

I ain't no retrogrouch here, but my first experience with a carbon fork (my Look HSC3) has been pretty disappointing. It is very flexible. I would rather have the solidity of the steel fork and pay a 1 lb penalty any day.

I am halfway tempted to try a Serotta F3 fork with my Merckx Ti.

cpg
12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I ain't no retrogrouch here, but my first experience with a carbon fork (my Look HSC3) has been pretty disappointing. It is very flexible.

Steel forks should never be dubbed retro. Traditional yes but not retro. Retro implies somehow fuddy dud and some how inferior. You're right carbon forks will save about a pound. But it's no panacea. Lots of carbon forks are whacked when it comes to alignment and geometry. These inaccuracies easily negate the weight savings with poor performance. It's tough to argue with saving a pound but when you ride behind a rider with a crooked fork you can watch them zig zag down the road it becomes obvious they're losing speed and efficiency. Usually they're unaware of it because the riders compensate for the wandering front end without thinking about it. Regardless it's still there. Sorry for the rant and I know you didn't mean anything negative with the retro comment.

Curt

saab2000
12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Nothing negative implied at all! It is all marketing in the end. I just don't feel the bike makes that much of a positive difference in the quality of my riding. Negative yes, if something is no good, but I don't often feel like something makes a positive difference.

I only mean "retro" in the sense that most people today who open a magazine or website will not find too many steel forks for sale. But like I said, it is all about marketing. Every year there is something "better" than the year before and this, over time, makes us feel like anything we have which is "old" is also obsolete.

e-RICHIE
12-21-2005, 11:48 AM
<creatively snipped>... over time, makes us feel like anything we have which is "old" is also obsolete.

don't whisper that in cremona!

marle
12-21-2005, 12:24 PM
I am halfway tempted to try a Serotta F3 fork with my Merckx Ti.

You will not be disappointed by the F3 imho.

sg8357
12-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I[snip]
I am waiting to install a Reynolds Ouzo Pro to replace my Look HSC3 on my Merckx. If that doesn't work to stiffen the front end I will have a steel fork made and have it powdercoated black.

Within the last year or so Cycling Plus tested carbon, AL and a
Roberts steel fork iirc. They measured side to side and fore and aft
stiffness, alignment. The forks were all over the map, material was
no indicator of stiffness. Some CF forks were stiff side to side, but
significantly more flexible fore and aft. The 531 fork and some CF
forks were more "symetrical" in stiffness.

A friend was telling me about Watsyn's shop, they had a machine for
forming fork blades from tubing, so you could spec your fork thickness.

Scott G.
In the Beginning G-D created 531, and it was good.

coylifut
12-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Retro implies somehow fuddy dud and some how inferior.
Curt

my kids use the term "Retro" to describe something conceived "back in the day," but updated for modern use.

Retro = cool in their world. Yesterday they gotta surf on cool-retro long boards.

back to the original subject, I saw a bunch of pictures on cyclingnews.com and there was a cool Gios track bike with a steel fork being used at one of the Six Day races. I love steel forks.

dirtdigger88
12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
man I have fallen in love with my Kirk built steel fork-

Dave does not get enough air time about his forks- :no:

Bad @ss!!!

Jason

Fixed
12-21-2005, 04:29 PM
bro I put a steel kelly fork on my bike a couple of weeks ago best thing i've added since i put the bike together .It's freakin great it's at least as good or better than any fork I've used before and the coolness factor is off the board. riding next to a bunch of bros with the lastest euro pro gear and being in breaks with them and me on my lugged steel with a steel fork =priceless i.m.h.o nothing is cooler than a steel bike and a steel fork in the right hands cheers :beer:

Brian Smith
12-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm not talking about you guys. I am mostly talking about Serotta and the CSI which (IMHO at least) should have had steel forks. Not dissing Serotta at all, but for me a lugged steel bike just doesn't work with a carbon fork.

For the record, the CSi was available with a lugged steel fork until the very end, it just happened that many people chose other forks for them.
I'm with you, I would prefer a lugged steel fork with my lugged steel frame,
and actually with any frame, but the F forks are super nice too.

timmyc99
12-22-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm going to go out there and say that John Slawta (Landshark Bicycles) still makes steel forks to go with his steel masterpieces. Rock on!