PDA

View Full Version : Pedals with the most float?

aatores
07-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Any ideas on road pedals with the most side-to-side float?

Bruce K
07-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I believe the Speedplays that preceded the Zero had the most float.

Not sure how much you can get these days from other pedals. I think Look Keos go to 9 degrees with the red cleats.

BK

Wilkinson4
07-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Speedplay comes to mind, +25 deg. float. I didn't like them, felt like I was on ice skates!

mIKE

FlashUNC
07-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Time's have 5 degrees of angular float, and 2.5 mm of lateral float. Between that and the adjustable Q factor at the cleat, I'm a fan.

eippo1
07-23-2013, 09:00 PM
I found that too much float was a bad thing for my knees. If you have tracking issues, getting proper cleat fit and using a restricted float (I use the Look Grey cleats) helped me a ton w/ my arthritis and patellar tendonitis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cmg
07-23-2013, 10:51 PM
speedplay x2, unlimited float. love them.

TBDSeattle
07-23-2013, 11:40 PM
:banana: Speedplays. :banana:

I've got them on every road bike and have a half dozen pairs of cleats and pedals in reserve. I love them and am never going back to knee pain.

Every body, and every set of knees are different, so these may not work with you, but they work with me.

TBD

giordana93
07-23-2013, 11:47 PM

Side to side would be lateral float, and answer is Time. For twisting about the same contact point, or angular float, answer is speedplay.

professerr
07-23-2013, 11:50 PM
As per above, Time pedals for lateral float and pivot float. I have the older RSX model, which I believe you can still find for about $50 or so at Ribble or one of those places.

The lateral float is disappointingly small for compared to the original Times, but better than nothing. And it doesn't really "float" that much -- there's lots of friction in the system. More creep than float. And per above, you can further adjust the Q by changing the way you mount the cleats on your shoe.

The pivot float is much smoother, but has a centering spring which some like and some don't. You can adjust this centering force in all but the cheapest version, but you'll still slightly feel it even at the lightest setting.

BdaGhisallo
07-24-2013, 04:52 AM
Actually, Shimano spd-sl pedals in combination with the yellow cleats allow the greatest amount of lateral movement, in addition to the six degrees of rotational float they offer.

Have a look at this and you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaZZN5pRUw

It's not advertised as a feature, but it is there.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Speedplay X series by far. Somewhere in the 17 degrees left-right(35 degrees total) range. Speedplay Zero next with 7.5 degrees for a total of 15 degrees.

Ahneida Ride
07-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Soeedplay Frogs

professerr
07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Actually, Shimano spd-sl pedals in combination with the yellow cleats allow the greatest amount of lateral movement, in addition to the six degrees of rotational float they offer.

Have a look at this and you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaZZN5pRUw

It's not advertised as a feature, but it is there.

Now you tell me -- I just bought a coupe extra Time RSX spares. The Shimano set up in the video looks superior in terms of range and ease of motion.

Bob Ross
07-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Side to side would be lateral float

I suppose this just gets filed under the "Diff'rent Strokes For Diff'rent Folks" category, but I can't imagine why anyone would want actual lateral float. People can pedal with that, seriously? Then again, I ride Speedplay Frogs with a ton of angular float, and others think I'm crazy.

bluesea
07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I suppose this just gets filed under the "Diff'rent Strokes For Diff'rent Folks" category, but I can't imagine why anyone would want actual lateral float. People can pedal with that, seriously? Then again, I ride Speedplay Frogs with a ton of angular float, and others think I'm crazy.

Are they observing riding behind you? :D

Time RXS had the perfect combination of float and rotation for me, but the cleats pick up the tiny basaltic gravel we have here, and become a small hassle on long rides. So I use Shimano yellow cleats, which loosen up quickly, so they get replaced often.

rice rocket
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I liked the feel of the Time stuff, the spring that returns your foot to center was nice.

That said, the Shimanos were better in every other aspect.

nbl78s
07-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I went from Time to Speedplays years ago and have never looked back... I do remember the first time I sprinted with the Speedplays it was not confidence inspiring, but once I got used to it it was fine. Haven't pulled out of them yet during a hard effort.

bluesea
07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
double (duh) post

bluesea
07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I liked the feel of the Time stuff, the spring that returns your foot to center was nice.

That said, the Shimanos were better in every other aspect.

(I had to double-check if this was a mattuck thread. :eek:)

Agree, plus the factor of wider support. Even with very stiff carbon shoes, you can use Time or SPD and say, why do I need more support, these are fine. When you switch to Shimano, it just feels better. Its not taking away pain or discomfort, but your feet feel more solidly connected, planted.

P.S. If you want real loose, buy Shimano cleats off ebay, the ones with the black screws and plates. :eek:

SolidSnake03
07-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I have a set of black screw cleats from ebay and the silver, honestly cant tell a different, checked both on and off the bike, the black screws and washers actually screw into the shoes much smoother with less of the grinding noise of the silver, really like the black mounting hardware

bluesea
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
I have a set of black screw cleats from ebay and the silver, honestly cant tell a different, checked both on and off the bike, the black screws and washers actually screw into the shoes much smoother with less of the grinding noise of the silver, really like the black mounting hardware

I've ran through three--threw them all away. QC varies greatly I suppose.

Pyramor
07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
+ 1 on the Speedplay X2. Been using them more than 10 years. Love the way they feel. Cleats are expensive and need proper lubrication to avoid breaking a cleat wire. Also when they wear your foot will begin to rock side to side. Speedplay recommends replacing every 5000 miles. Probably good idea to do so.
Another good point is that you can change the length of the spindle if you need greater Q factor.

SolidSnake03
07-25-2013, 07:48 PM
The yellow plastic part is wearing fairly fast yes but the mounting hardware seems to be super smooth for some reason. Used it on some Shimano Yellow cleats from my LBS and they still do a great job

I've ran through three--threw them all away. QC varies greatly I suppose.