PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch the TdF?

tiretrax
07-23-2013, 04:39 PM
All of it? Are your sure? WATCH THIS VIDEO! http://road.cc/content/news/88926-video-french-mountain-biker-jumps-over-chris-froome-tour-de-france

Meirde! Formidable!

hainy
07-23-2013, 05:15 PM
While I love cycling I have never been a big fan of pro cycling and given recent events this interest amounts to zero.

I find it hard to beleive that a rider can beat the best cyclists in the world by 5 min.

TPetsch
07-23-2013, 05:28 PM
5040 Min. -5Min is only approx. 0.1%, not a great difference considering the overall big picture.

I'm not necessarily a Froome fan. Yes, I watched the tour, more for the aerial Tour of France than the actual TDF.

charliedid
07-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I watched 5 or 6 stages.

alessandro
07-23-2013, 09:47 PM
All of it? Are your sure?
http://road.cc/content/news/88926-video-french-mountain-biker-jumps-over-chris-froome-tour-de-france

Meirde! Formidable!

Zut et merde encore! I missed that in my tour viewing. Ca dechire! Also pretty cool in comparison with Dave Watson's 2003 jump.

The rest of you: Reading. Comprehension.

Ken Robb
07-23-2013, 10:34 PM
didn't watch-didn't care.

Cat3roadracer
07-23-2013, 10:55 PM
The what?

joev
07-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I decided to pay of the NBC Sport subscription so I could watch the stages at a convenient time. It was great to move to different parts of the video once the stage ended. I came away from it all with a greater appreciation for some of the riders and noted the following:

1. Cavendish really needs a better lead out train, but it was fun to see him, Sagen, Kittel, and Greipel duke it out.
2. I found it hard to believe those accelerations by Froome in the mountains and thought Richie Porte to really be the star of the team.
3. Froome, while pleasant, lacks the charisma of a standard bearer for cycling.
4. Cadel Evans....Thomas Voekler....what happened? Missed the slashing attacks.
5. An Alejandro Valverde resurrection! Drat lady luck.
6. Didn't care for the wheelie by Sagan on the way to Ventoux. To much energy or poor timing of its use?
7. Jens Voigt was the rider with the most class. Shut up legs! Fun to watch ride and attack. You can always have hope.
8. Tejay Van Garderen's ride to Alp d'Huez was interesting given the effort to chase back and not even have the slightest bit of fight left to fend off Riblon. That was true heartbreak.
9. Phil and Paul. Need not say too much...although the years seem to be catching up with Phil with those late stage predictions, comments, then subtle corrections. I still can listen to them all day, though. I could not believe I found a YouTube video of a Tour de France stage from the 1980's and those two were on commentary.
10. Saddest sight...Lemond, Hinault, Indurain, and no Lance, on the Champs-Elysees. I still respect the dedication and training needed to get to the top of the sport even though some cross that line... Not sure everyone gets treated the same, though.

Lastly, I need to acknowledge my great friends who asked me to go to France a few years ago to ride the great climbs with them: Col d'Ornon, Alp d'Huez, Col du Glandon. It was worth the watch this year to see the boys scale and decend these climbs with a pace most of us can only dream of.

flydhest
07-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Pretty cool. this thread would make an interesting dissertation in social psychology. the responses are roughly orthogonal to the OP's point.

tiretrax
07-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Actually, view the video on the link. Everyone missed what's on it.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
I decided to pay of the NBC Sport subscription so I could watch the stages at a convenient time. It was great to move to different parts of the video once the stage ended. I came away from it all with a greater appreciation for some of the riders and noted the following:

1. Cavendish really needs a better lead out train, but it was fun to see him, Sagen, Kittel, and Greipel duke it out.
2. I found it hard to believe those accelerations by Froome in the mountains and thought Richie Porte to really be the star of the team.
3. Froome, while pleasant, lacks the charisma of a standard bearer for cycling.
4. Cadel Evans....Thomas Voekler....what happened? Missed the slashing attacks.
5. An Alejandro Valverde resurrection! Drat lady luck.
6. Didn't care for the wheelie by Sagan on the way to Ventoux. To much energy or poor timing of its use?
7. Jens Voigt was the rider with the most class. Shut up legs! Fun to watch ride and attack. You can always have hope.
8. Tejay Van Garderen's ride to Alp d'Huez was interesting given the effort to chase back and not even have the slightest bit of fight left to fend off Riblon. That was true heartbreak.
9. Phil and Paul. Need not say too much...although the years seem to be catching up with Phil with those late stage predictions, comments, then subtle corrections. I still can listen to them all day, though. I could not believe I found a YouTube video of a Tour de France stage from the 1980's and those two were on commentary.
10. Saddest sight...Lemond, Hinault, Indurain, and no Lance, on the Champs-Elysees. I still respect the dedication and training needed to get to the top of the sport even though some cross that line... Not sure everyone gets treated the same, though.

Lastly, I need to acknowledge my great friends who asked me to go to France a few years ago to ride the great climbs with them: Col d'Ornon, Alp d'Huez, Col du Glandon. It was worth the watch this year to see the boys scale and decend these climbs with a pace most of us can only dream of.

??

cmg
07-24-2013, 09:07 AM
watched the majority of the stages. it's great following the stragedy, rolling chess game. the joy and the heartache. Phil and paul are the voice, including the flaws. bob roll is the joker with the experience. a great fun watch. will watch again next year. Will watch the Vuelta if it's shown on beIN sports. and nobody cares about some mountain biker trying to upstage a 100 year history with a single 5 second extreme stunt, would have been more interesting if he'd crash.

William
07-24-2013, 09:22 AM
For the first time in a long time...not one iota this year. Just wasn't feeling it.

William

alessandro
07-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Actually, view the video on the link. Everyone missed what's on it.

Not me: Zut et merde encore! I missed that in my tour viewing. Ca dechire! Also pretty cool in comparison with Dave Watson's 2003 jump.

The rest of you: Reading. Comprehension.

Pretty cool. this thread would make an interesting dissertation in social psychology. the responses are roughly orthogonal to the OP's point.

True. Like the gorilla in the midst: http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gorilla_experiment.html

[snip]... and nobody cares about some mountain biker trying to upstage a 100 year history with a single 5 second extreme stunt, would have been more interesting if he'd crash.

If it be crashes you seek, review Watson's 2003 jump, also at the original link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1YlFQVTBuI

nbl78s
07-24-2013, 10:44 AM
I've seen this posted on a few other sites. I do, however, like the original 2003 jump better. 2003 Looked like he just lined up a cliff jump and went for it - and crashed. This years jump was well planned and well executed which makes it a little less ballsy and impressive in my book.

redir
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I think it's grand standing and potentially dangerous and even deadly. If you want the spotlight then get as good as Danny MaCaskill and make a video that goes viral for obvious reasons... Talent.

nbl78s
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I've seen this posted on a few other sites. I do, however, like the original 2003 jump better. 2003 Looked like he just lined up a cliff jump and went for it - and crashed. This years jump was well planned and well executed which makes it a little less ballsy and impressive in my book.

Jaq
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah; there was something raw and cool about the 2003 jump - despite the fall. Just some guy saying "hold my beer and watch this!" This jump was too planned, too staged, and shot from terrible angles. Maybe we'll get a helmet cam shot in the coming days. He should've bolted down-looking go-pros all over his bike.

Russell
07-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Every single stage!

572cv
07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for noting another reason to love the Tour....

William
07-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Didn't watch that one either.:p

William