PDA

View Full Version : Redondo/Manhattan Beach rides

Rubeboy
07-23-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm going to be in the Manhattan/Redondo Beach area this weekend and I'm wondering if there's any reason to try to bring a bike along on the family trip.
Are there any enjoyable 40-60 mile rides that get away from the congestion and have a little climbing?
I'll have a few free blocks of time and I'm driving down from the north so bringing a bike would be pretty doable.

Thoughts?

cat6
07-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

beeatnik
07-23-2013, 01:17 AM
So dope.

Jaq
07-23-2013, 08:22 AM
i did this a couple of months ago, lots of dirt so a cross bike would be preferred, though 28's would be fine for 95% of it.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2532605

+1 on 28s. Did almost the exact ride a couple weeks ago and slashed a 25 on the back. It was probably just bad luck (the front soldiered through just fine), but still, I'd've liked to have had something a bit hardier.

As for staying in Manhattan... it's pretty centrally located to some good rides/climbs, but getting away from congestion isn't quite as easy unless you're willing to ride a bit earlier in the day.

If you are, then the Palos Verdes Peninsula (south) has a great ride that's got some fairly legendary hills & vistas. I don't have links to the routes off hand, but you can check socal cycling dot com, check the training rides section, and go from there. Or just google "rides in Palos Verdes."

Going north, you can shoot up through Santa Monica, then up the PCH and into Malibu. There are any number of climbs - from mild to HC - in the area, and also great vistas. But the traffic in the summer on the PCH can get crazy, esp. on weekends.

Lastly, you can bring a couple bikes and casually cruise the boardwalk from MB north or south. Good people-watching.

classtimesailer
07-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Bring a road bike.

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/south-bay-rides/

Bauch
07-23-2013, 02:52 PM
If you are in the Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach area, Palos Verdes is the place to go. You can easily do a nice coastal route with mild rollers or any number of climbs from the coast up to the top of the PV peninsula. It's a fairly cycling-friendly community and there will almost certainly be a lot of other riders out.

PM me if you want more info. I grew up on Palos Verdes and know the area well.

Rubeboy
07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the tips!
I think it will be worth while to take the road bike and see what the early Sunday and Monday morning roads are like.

Thanks

Ken Robb
07-23-2013, 07:22 PM
There are many threads on this topic in the archives.