PDA

View Full Version : NBC app gets a thumbs up

vqdriver
07-23-2013, 12:29 AM
I gotta say, watching (almost) full stage replays at my leisure at the end of the day was a really nice way to watch le tour. I was much more tuned into all the nuances of each stage and I especially appreciated the lack of commercial interruptions. When i think about it i find it very impressive that the commentators can talk for like four or five hours without much material to draw from until the end. The stage info summaries and elevation profiles were a handy reference as were the rider profiles. I more or less didn't use any of the other features of the app tho there are a lot.

I'll probably be a repeat customer next year.
Hopefully they'll have the full stage replays for the android folks next year.

firerescuefin
07-23-2013, 12:36 AM
I gotta say, watching (almost) full stage replays at my leisure at the end of the day was a really nice way to watch le tour. I was much more tuned into all the nuances of each stage and I especially appreciated the lack of commercial interruptions. When i think about it i find it very impressive that the commentators can talk for like four or five hours without much material to draw from until the end. The stage info summaries and elevation profiles were a handy reference as were the rider profiles. I more or less didn't use any of the other features of the app tho there are a lot.

I'll probably be a repeat customer next year.
Hopefully they'll have the full stage replays for the android folks next year.

Agreed...loved it!

r_mutt
07-23-2013, 12:43 AM
the app might have been good but watching online on a "normal computer" wasn't a pleasant experience. no matter what i did, it defaulted to the lowest resolution and it made seeing any detail impossible. i tried 3 different home connections and even super fast commercial connection and it was still barely watchable. thumbs down for me.

vqdriver
07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Hrmmm. That's too bad.
I was able to watch on my iphone/iPad or stream it thru Apple TV while multitasking apps. Not quite hi def quality but pretty dang good on the big screen. Granted I have a screaming cable connection....

jr59
07-23-2013, 04:35 AM
It wasn't high deff, but all in all I would think it's well worth the money I paid. The wealth of info on the site, no commercials, replay when ever I wish including fast forward to where I want to watch. I would give it a thumbs up!

I'll buy it again next year if offered.

Likes2ridefar
07-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Mine was hd the entire time. Looked great on the 65" at home or the ipad at work. At home I've a 50mbps dl and at work is even faster.

My only gripe was replays could not be played on the ipad. Live worked great though.

aatores
07-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Resolution was an issue for me as well -- it seemed super clear for a few minutes and then would revert back to a resolution so low I couldn't read the KM to go numbers.

Willy
07-23-2013, 09:31 AM
On my IPad it looked great except when it would break up and need to refresh. I will buy it again next year.

572cv
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Me too, +1 on the general comments. I've had good luck with it this year. Very good images on a not that fast connection. No commercials is huge. Being able to slide through the rebroadcasts and see what you want. The map feature was good too, zoom-able and all. I'll budget the 15 bucks again next year.

fiataccompli
07-07-2014, 08:29 AM
was it not more money (like 30 bucks) at some point in the last week? This is the 2nd year I've used this & it's easily worth it to not create mass discontent with all other aspects of life (family, work, trips, etc.) even if I only watch a couple days here & there.

weisan
07-07-2014, 08:32 AM
$15 on Android devices
High definition
Zero issue

Well worth it

Will buy again.
https://lh6.ggpht.com/jTaCgsRH3SkzoH2z13Dnhp20PyUwSUbBKgV0howanKtI0z7Wdt sZ5HMuJ0BlBw4rNg=w300

laupsi
07-07-2014, 08:39 AM
$15 on Android devices
High definition
Zero issue

Well worth it

Will buy again.
https://lh6.ggpht.com/jTaCgsRH3SkzoH2z13Dnhp20PyUwSUbBKgV0howanKtI0z7Wdt sZ5HMuJ0BlBw4rNg=w300

is this not on iTunes? couldn't find it, perhaps I'm not using the proper name?

fiataccompli
07-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Apparently I can't chromecast it from my ipad, but still not bad.

bikerboy337
07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm just streaming the tour on my iphone with NBCSports app, lets you stream live events...

wondering if this will be free the entire tour, or if they're just teasing us with the free streaming for the beginning... but was able to catch todays stage while not at home... nice...

lhuerta
07-07-2014, 10:17 AM
...does the $30 option provide web access (workstation) and mobile (iPhone) access too? Couldn't find the small print saying otherwise.
Lou

Jack Crank
07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Nope, $30 for desktop, additional $15 for app. Kinda Horse···· if ya ask me...

Also, did anyone else have issues with the fullscreen not remaining fullscreen on the web app today?

jmoore
07-07-2014, 01:18 PM
No Chromecast support on Andriod for the NBSSports app = FAIL

weisan
07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
is this not on iTunes? couldn't find it, perhaps I'm not using the proper name?

The Android app in Google Play Store is called NBC Sports Tour Dr France Live.

Not sure about ITunes.

I only watched the race on my tablet lying down on my bed or couch or in the train...nobody in my family is interested so I don't care about streaming it to HDTV. But if I do, maybe Roku will work, not sure.

laupsi
07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
The Android app in Google Play Store is called NBC Sports Tour Dr France Live.

Not sure about ITunes.

I only watched the race on my tablet lying down on my bed or couch or in the train...nobody in my family is interested so I don't care about streaming it to HDTV. But if I do, maybe Roku will work, not sure.

thank you!

RAS72
07-07-2014, 04:03 PM
in iTunes; search tour de france and it'll come up.
I bought the app and stream it to my Apple TV and love it.
I had friends and family circled around the TV discussing and asking questions. Fun. Made better with no commercials!

joosttx
07-07-2014, 04:50 PM
love it. the only issue I have is you there is a potential to see a spoiler when you want to watch a replay of a stage. I wish the would fix that.

Gfi3
07-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Best $15 I've spent this year. Watched the stage live on my iPad even on the drive into work today!

572cv
07-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Indeed it is on iTunes. I put it on the iPad and after being in the wilds of Coos County NH for the weekend, just caught up w stages 2 and 3. iPad version on NBC works fine.

The thing about the Grand Tours is that they really are..........grand!