PDA

View Full Version : Early-morning rides before work?

Louis
03-04-2004, 10:56 PM
If you do them how in the world do you get up for it? Do you ride on an empty stomach, or do you eat something first? I’ve never considered myself a morning person and it takes me a while to get going. However, with the weather improving and the time-change coming it would be great to get a ride in then drive to work after the traffic. (Cycling to work is not an option.)

I've never tried this and I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to get my metabolism reved up quickly enough to do it. Your experiences?

Thanks
Louis

Marco
03-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Louis:

Given my family and work life I basically don't have a choice but to do early morning rides so I have been doing it for about 7 years. By early morning I mean starting the ride between 5 and 5:30 am. The first trick is to make it a habit and have your body get used to that daily rhythm. It will probably require that you go to bed earlier or find time for an afternoon nap.

Before the early morning rides I will usually have something along the lines of a Cliff Bar, Gu shot, or Power Gel shot. Also, I don't drink anything before I get on the bike but I make it a point to drink more than usual in the first half an hour to get hydrated. My experience has been that if you drink too much before you start you are just asking for the need to take a pit stop in the middle of the ride. When time is at a premium who wants to stop for that.

There are some SERIOUS advantages to riding this early in the morning, the best of which is that there is very little traffic and in the hot summer months it is obviously much cooler. Also, when you occasionlly see another rider out at that time there seems to be an unspoken bond of brotherhood (you mean I'm not the only crazy cyclops dude out for his morning fix this early in the morning?!).

On the right summer mornings, with the weather just perfect and the sun rising over the horizon, it is the equivilent of catching the first run down Rendevouz at Jackson Hole after 20 inches of new powder.

dave thompson
03-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Louis
If you do them how in the world do you get up for it? .....
........I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to get my metabolism reved up quickly enough to do it. Your experiences?

Thanks
Louis

If you ride early in the morning, your metabolism will be revved up! During our season, late March through October, my wife and I try to do 15~25 miles every weekday morning. We eat a good dinner every night and have only coffee in the morning. Post ride, it's a good breakfast. For us, the ride gets us started for the day, and our energy level is high all day long. Often we'll have an evening ride doing the same routes.

I think you'll find by simply doing your early A.M. ride, you will become a morning person.

Andreu
03-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Don´t eat....it makes me sick. Have some juice (energy)....but I agree with previous reply too much and you have to stop. Get into a routine and try to train with someone....its a great motivator if you know there is at least another idiot, I mean cyclist, out with you....you feel you are letting "the team" down if you don´t turn up. And make sure you eat something or get some energy after you finish your work out - or you end up knocking at work!
Happy training
Andreu

Tom
03-05-2004, 04:44 AM
It's great. The air hasn't been smoked or dusted up, it's quiet, it's a wonderful way to get the day going. To bed early, a couple of cups of coffee and I'm off. When I get to work I don't care what happens, because I've had my fun.

Too Tall
03-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Shhhh, you (all) told the secret. Ditto what everyone says about a sacred peaceful aspect. This especially true in major metropolitan areas. I feel like early mornings are made just for moi' :)

If your workout is less than 90 mins. no need for eating during and don't eat 3 hrs. prior to hard exercise. If you plan on a recovery ride or anything sub Lactate Threshold it is probably fine to have a light breakfast.

WEAR a reflective triangle or use a reflective vest or John Browne sash!

Enjoy.

Kevin
03-05-2004, 05:55 AM
I have no choice but to go with the early morning ride. Once it becomes part of your routine its no big deal. I do it on an empty stomach with energy drink in the bottle.

Kevin

weisan
03-05-2004, 06:47 AM
After all these encouraging words from other members, you should just go out and try it. I guarantee you won't regret. The only downside is after you have gotten so used to it, come winter or when there's bad weather, and you can't go out to do your morning routine, you are almost certain to go into withdrawal or a depression!!! I know I did. I am so ready to start back on doing my an-hour ride in the morning before work.

Scout for a good route first. I discovered a 1-mile stretch uphill about 10 minutes away from my home that has relatively few traffic. I use the 10 minutes while I am getting there as a warm-up. and when I get there, I will do intervals about six times up and down that hill which gave me a pretty workout in less than 40 minutes. And then another 10 miuntes to spin easy cooling down on my way home.
Once it becomes a routine, waking up early won't be a problem anymore.
Morning rides are really cool, don't miss it!

mikemets
03-05-2004, 06:59 AM
My morning rides usually consist of 16 mile commutes to work. We start real early so I'm on the bike by 5:45 and behind my desk ready to go by 7:15. I drink a small cup of coffee before and Accelerade in my water bottle during the ride.

It helps to have the bike and gear ready to go the night before. I'm tellin' ya, that sometimes as I'm lying in bed and I know the weather isn't ideal I say "not today" but a mile or so into the ride, boy am I happy I got on the bike, and as said before...I can't have a bad day at work on the days I ride in. Its like I have a force field around me and everything simply bounces off...very powerful.

Can't wait until I have enough light to start commuting again...SOON!

Good luck, just try it...

Keith A
03-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Louis,

There has been plenty of good advice given by my fellow early risers. I too ride pre-work as family obligations make it impossible to ride any other time during the week days. I'm usually out the door by 6:00am and put in between 20 and 35 miles, depending on what my focus is for that day.

Nutrition -- I usually eat an apple as I'm getting ready and often finish as I'm warming up. In addition to putting something in my stomach, it has the added benefit of making your teeth feel clean even though I haven't brushed yet. I normally drink Endrox R4 after my ride and eat a good breakfast.

Good things -- Among the other positive benefits to riding early, there is usually less wind, and the Florida coast almost always has some wind, so this is important to me. The sunrises can be great as well -- this morning was particularly nice.

How to do it -- Having a training partner is a great motivator, so when the alarm goes off it is much more difficult to go back to sleep if you know someone is waiting for you. This can be especially helpful when you are getting started. Once it becomes a habit, getting up isn't really an issue -- however, you must get to bed early and get enough sleep!

Lights -- I'm currently using a NiteRider HID, which throws out a bunch of light. Not only can you see the road in front of you, but cars give you plenty of respect -- mostly because with this bright of light, then don't know what is coming at them. I use a Vista Eclipse on the back -- it is one of the best battery powered taillights out there (IMO). Reflective clothing is also a bonus, many manufacturing are putting these in their gloves, vests, shoes and etc. Look for these when buying new gear.

Final thoughts, as someone else already stated -- get everything ready the night before...clothes, water bottles filled and in the fridge, tires pumped up, etc. You will make your S.O. happier if this is all located in a room other than your bedroom.

Let us know how it works out for you.

dirtdigger88
03-05-2004, 10:30 AM
I do 25 miles every morning once the weather allows, which will be very soon. I get up about 5:15 or so and am on the road by 5:50. I can not eat before hand, it is not enough time for it to digest. I too drink some OJ for energy and maybe a Gu pack. I have even tried one plain waffel, but even that sits like a rock. I eat like a pig when I get home. I can then shower, play with my son and be to the office by 8:30. I am pumped all day. I have so much more energy that way. I use to commute every day, but my office moved and I would have a 40 mile round trip, just a bit much for me after an 11 hour day. Morning rides also rule in the hot months, the air just feels better. MORNING RIDES RULE

dirtdigger88
03-05-2004, 10:36 AM
I almost forgot, yes lights are important. I use a night rider trail rat up front and a cheap blinker in the rear. I keep all my gear together in my basement and I air my tires and lay my cloths out the night before. I also always have my bottles ready in the fridge (also in the basement).
Lastly, the riding partner. Yes this is the most important. If it was not for mine, I would ride much less. We have an agreement which is an altered 5 minute rule. After five minutes we beat on the others door to wake them. No hiding in bed!!! It is that guilt factor that keeps you going when you are tired or it is too cold for comfort. MORNING RIDES RULE:banana: :banana:

flydhest
03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't groove on morning rides nearly as much as everyone else here. I have got into cycles sometimes when I can sustain it and it's great to have a ride in, but . . . I hate mornings. Hate them. If I don't have everything easily ready, I take a long time and have to cut the ride short. Summers are easier as I can just slide into shorts, top, socks and shoes and go. The longest stretch of sustaining morning rides came when I had a riding buddy to meet. I would feel awful for making him wait or standing him up. This will help you if you are a slugabed like me.

I get super tired after lunch when I've had a morning ride. I have often closed my office door and taken a quick nap. If this is a risky workplace endeavor for you (or if you are a professional driver) think about how to manage this possibility.

I hate being bundled up and then at lunch time having it be warm weather. I think, "why did I ride during the cold hours?!?!"

I don't want to dissuade you. If you can fit morning rides in, it is fantastic. I am thinking about working to readjust my schedule to be able to do it again. But for me, it is not, NOT all peaches and cream.

Now, I'm off for my lunch time ride. It should be much warmer than my commute in

Ozz
03-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I will echo the sentiments of most the respondents here.

My family and home ownership obligations make it so that if I want to ride on the weekends, it is usually very eary - out and on the road before sunrise.

During the summer, that means 4:30 or 5:00.

Luckily, I am a morning person and am usually awake by then anyway...

My routine is:
Make coffee (16 oz, very strong, Torrefazione Perugia)
Drink some juice
Bowl of cereal (Trader Joe's ginger granola or Cheerios)
Scan Serotta forum while drinking coffee and eating cereal
Check tire pressure (chain lube, mechanicals checked night before)
Fill water bottles
Get dressed (riding gear laid out night before)
Hit the road

I luv being out early before the rest of the world is awake. There are no cars, it is very quiet, sunrises are gorgeous. On a clear day I can see two mountain ranges and three volcanos on my rides!

I usually get home just as my family is getting up. I am jazzed for the rest of the day!:banana:

dave thompson
03-05-2004, 11:06 AM
One of the beauties of early morning rides is that it is a hell of a good way to wake up and start your day. Regardless what faces you after your ride, your mind is clear and clean. Your attention and concentration while on the bike seems to wash other things away.

I live on the very north edge of Spokane, sort of on the cusp of civilization and farmland. If I ride 5 minutes south, I'm deep in traffic, noise and billboards. 5 minutes north however, I'm in thousands of acres of farmland and wheatfields; very rural countryside. My wife and I both have 'people' jobs, so our early morning rides allow us to escape, even if briefly, and start our day on a very positive note. The cobwebs are gone and I think we are better prepared. Often solutions to problems occur when one isn't thinking about them.

I love our early morning rides, they just seem to set the day straight.

Kevan
03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
just how I could commute to the office when there's no shower at the office end.

Now...now... I appreciate the comments about me not stinking, but really... I would prefer to sit at my desk without the waves of vapor obstructing my view of this pc screen.

I guess it's getting about that time to test out the ol'...er, new baby-wipe and shampoo in the men's room sink routine. I'm just not so sure that effort would serve as an adequate vapor barrier. And what pray tell do you say to the president when he walks in and spies you with a head full of lather? I mean besides, "Good morning!"?

I guess I could suggest, "Sir, we need a shower."

csb
03-05-2004, 12:28 PM
ghjkl;

csb
03-05-2004, 12:39 PM
jjjjjhhhhhhh

Climb01742
03-05-2004, 12:44 PM
one more advantage to working out in the morning is, control over your schedule.

i've found that if i try to workout at lunch or after work, often something comes up. work or family or something. and i'm forced to miss or curtail my workout.

but at 5 AM, your time, and the world, is yours. moreover, once you're done, you're done for the day. free to have a lunch out, or play with the kids or the dogs after work.

Too Tall
03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
I've been commuting 20 miles each way for about 6 yrs. Shower in the am at home, ride gently into work in the early am when it is cool and no worries....no stink! I do keep fresh towels at work and a spray bottle of water / alcohol for a "touch up" when the weather is very hot.

You'll be envied at work. Fuggetaboutit. RIDE!

Keith A
03-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Climb01742 -- so true!

davids
03-05-2004, 04:00 PM
I used to hate early mornings. Now, one of my favorite things to do is hit the road at 6:30. For all the reasons mentioned here - the quiet, the clean air, the lack of traffic. Early-morning rides are rejuvinating, and they make the rest of my day so much better.

Like others say, get sufficient sleep - I'll be in bed by 10 to get up at 6. I lay out my clothes at night, and make sure the bike's ready to go out the door. I' ll have coffee before I go, and maybe eat a granola bar or some Fig Newmans on the road. Then breakfast while cooling off, a shower, and the subway to work.

I should be able to start this routine in late March, once it's warm enough and light enough. I can't wait!

csb
03-05-2004, 05:19 PM
pardon the two (i hope only 2) gibberish postings on this thread,
at least they were harmless, and perhaps more insightful than
my usually serious ones.

csb