PDA

View Full Version : If this, then that (ifttt.com)

MattTuck
07-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Not sure if this site is common knowledge or not, but I thought it might be useful for those of you who buy used frames.

It can search something like craigslist automatically, and then do a host of actions (like, send you an email, text message, post something on facebook for you, save the link to a document, etc.) when a result turns up matching your query.

I just found it and am still learning about it. A friend of mine uses it to track when Porsche 911's get listed for sale.

www.ifttt.com

rweisheit
07-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Really, a really cool app for sure. The Craig'sPro app I have for iOS does the same thing, but ifttt is vastly more useful

nopotholes
07-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm currently using it to search for my stolen bike. Only complaint is that I need multiple recipes in order to scour the local counties/regions but that's more a complaint with craigslist itself I guess.

slidey
07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
I recently came across this app for the phone, downloaded it, then deleted it. My way of not over-personalising my devices; yes, I'm really wary/pissed about the lack of electronic security/privacy that passes for the norm or is even encouraged nowadays.

MattTuck
07-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Just to close the loop on this. I set up a recipe to send me an email any time 'serotta' came up in the boston bikes craigslist. This is the email I got tonight. pretty damn cool, I think.

Nothing rides like a Serotta steel frame bike from the 90's. I was hit by a car on my first Serotta and replaced it with this bike in 96 but couldnt ride the way I used to and dropped the road and now ride the trails with my mountain bike.This bike h [...]

From search: craigslist boston | bicycles - all search "serotta"

via Craigslist http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3955415586.html

ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 4721058

rice rocket
07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Google has this functionality already?

http://www.google.com/alerts/

dukeisno1
07-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Is there a way to use this to check the paceline forums? I haven't been able to find an RSS feed for the paceline so I'm not holding my breath.

jtakeda
07-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Briefly looking at the site it does a lot more than search alerts.

It can auto upload your photos from your phone to Flickr, it can automatically send a template email when a new contact is added... Things like that.

It's a basic when your mobile device (executes a certain command) you can automatically set it to execute another command.

MRB
07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
For bike commuting, I have IFTTT send a text to my phone if the forecast calls for rain. I find this easier than looking out the window. :)

josephr
07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Is there a way to use this to check the paceline forums? I haven't been able to find an RSS feed for the paceline so I'm not holding my breath.

Isn't Paceline Tap-a-Talk enabled? I haven't tried....I know there are some that use Tap-a-talk for RBR and MBR forums.
Joe

sc53
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
For bike commuting, I have IFTTT send a text to my phone if the forecast calls for rain. I find this easier than looking out the window. :)

Ha! you are so modern.

SlackMan
07-24-2013, 02:36 PM

^^^ Correct, and Google Alert is also is more flexible for Craigslist because one can search all Craigslist locales at once. For example, "Serotta site:craigslist.org" will return all Serottas listed on ANY Craigslist site across the nation.

Wait a minute, why am I telling potentially competing buyers how to find bikes I might want to buy?! Oh yes, we're a community. :)

InspectorGadget
07-24-2013, 05:03 PM
For bike commuting, I have IFTTT send a text to my phone if the forecast calls for rain. I find this easier than looking out the window. :)How do specify a (rain) forecast?