PDA

View Full Version : Best Sonoma/Napa shop for repairs/service

cassa
07-22-2013, 01:26 PM
My wife and I will be flying with our bikes and staying a few days in Santa Rosa.

I'm a competent mechanic, so don't expect trouble reassembling the bikes, but I'd like recommendations for a shop to take them to if I run into troubles (maybe a derailleur hanger gets bent, maybe I forget to pack or lose a tool, maybe we lose a skewer...)?

In case it matters, we both use Campagnolo components.

JayBay
07-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Check out Spoke Folk Cyclery in Healdsburg. I can't attest to thier wrenching skills, but when I was in Santa Rosa they were nice enough to stay open late one night so I could pick up a couple water bottle cages I needed for an early morning ride the next day. Looked like a really cool shop, I wish I'd had more time to poke around.

Oh, and if you're in Healdsburg hit up Bravas Bar de Tapas for mindblowingly good tapas food. And killer cocktails. Or pretty much anywhere else in Healdsburg for that matter. During my brief visit to Sonoma County in June I came to the conclusion that Healdsburg is just plain awesome.

chuckster12
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
We rented bikes there this spring, great shop!

Chuck

maunahaole
07-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Santa Rosa and Napa are not that close together in real traveling terms, so if you are going to be in Santa Rosa, stick to someplace close by unless you have good reason to go over to Napa. Healdsburg is pretty nice. Easy place to burn up a few hours with the car parked in one spot.

tribuddha
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
If I am in Santa Rosa I like Echelon multisport they are friendly and passionate and very knowledgeable.
I live in Yountville and my home shop is bicycle works in Napa ..best shop in Napa!

mvrider
07-22-2013, 10:26 PM
We only stopped by Spoke Folk for a jersey, but they seemed nice enough. Unusual to find cats inside a bike shop.

+99 on Healdsburg, though. My wife and I love it. For a culinary treat, make a reservation at Barn Diva. Scopa is very popular and tasty Italian. Don't miss the morning buns at Downtown Bakery. And my wife likes Flying Goat coffee.

cnighbor1
07-23-2013, 04:46 PM
go to my clubs web site http://www.grizzlypeakcyclists.org/
and click on cue sheets there you will find a lot of rides out in that area
for a long climb try the geysers ride
also the coast is a great option
call me if you need help deciding
Charles 925 708-1295 cell phone
Geysers (counter-clockwise)
4! / TM / 58
Mileages are approximate
AT DO And Go
0.0 DEPART Healdsburg City Hall 401 Grove St
0.0 North 1.8 Grove St
1.8 L 2.1 Chiquita Rd
3.9 R 0.8 Lytton Springs Rd
4.7 L 1.4 Lytton Station Rd
6.1 L 2.1 Alexander Valley Rd
8.2 C 0.5 CA Hwy-128
8.7 L 0.4 Pine Flat Rd (as Hwy 128 curves right)
9.1 L 2.4 Red Winery Rd
11.5 R 10.4 Geysers Rd (steep climbing)
11.5 Rolling Regroup Pausing here before the climb
21.9 Regroup Mercuryville (end of climb; no services)
21.9 C 3.1 Geysers Rd
25.0 L 12.3 To stay on Geysers Rd
("T" intersection while descending/ easy to miss)
CAUTION: Possible gravel, dirt, holes, unrepaired asphalt
37.3 SL 1.0 River Rd (cross Big Sulpher Creek)
38.3 SR 0.8 Crocker Rd (cross the Russian River)
39.1 C 0.4 Crocker Rd becomes E 1st St (under freeway, 3 or 4 blocks)
39.5 L 0.5 S. Cloverdale Blvd
40.0 LUNCH Owl Caf� (485 S. Cloverdale Blvd)
40.0 South 0.5 S. Cloverdale Blvd
40.5 R 0.1 W Brookside Dr
40.6 L 0.8 S. Foothill Blvd
41.4 L 0.3 Treadway Dr.
41.7 R 0.5 S. Cloverdale Blvd
42.2 C 5.1 Dutcher Creek Rd
47.3 L 1.4 Dry Creek Rd
48.7 R 0.6 Yoakin Bridge Rd
49.3 L 0.8 W. Dry Creek Rd
50.1 L 3.1 to stay on W. Dry Creek Rd
53.2 L 0.7 Lambert Bridge Rd
53.9 R 3.4 Dry Creek Rd
57.3 R 1.1 Grove St
58.4 ARRIVE Healdsburg City Hall 401 Grove St

RIDE LEADER NOTES
1. When ridden in this direction the route has no services until Cloverdale.
2. The 9-1/5 mile climb is sustained and exposed. It would be very hot on a
warm day.
3. Camelback recommended on days over 65 degrees.
4..Santa Rosa Cycling Club titles this ride "Geysers in Winter" because the
route when ridden in the opposite direction affords shade and is a more
moderate climb except for one section.
5. Owl Cafe has lots of space for bikes and you can keep them in sight while
eating. THE FOOD IS GOOD TOO.
6. The turns at 8.7 and 25 miles are easy to miss.
7. All distances, except Geysers Rd, are verified w/ Google Maps (bike edition).

cassa
07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks all for the recommendations. And thanks for the food and riding recs too. The menu at Bravas reminds me of our trip to Spain last summer.

The Geysers ride looks like fun, but alas not in the cards for this trip -- we will be on our way to do the Crater Lake Century, which is possibly already too much climbing for my wife for one trip.

We found some great-looking routes on the Santa Rosa Cycling Club's "Ten Great Rides" page, and will probably ride a couple of those.

maunahaole
07-23-2013, 06:56 PM
The climbs in the coast range can be steep. There should be plenty of great riding if you choose to stay on the valley floor. Keep in mind that it can get quite hot as the day goes on once the ocean air moves out.

Climb01742
07-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Even if you don't go to Healdsburg for cycling stuff, go there for a meal. Well worth a visit.

fourflys
07-23-2013, 08:29 PM
for Campy, I think I'd go see these guys... http://norcalcycling.com/

I'm here on vacation right now and it's a pretty nice shop despite selling mostly Specialized...

Drewmanchew
07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I know its not close but I would make the effort to stop by above category in Mill Valley, Chad and Woody are great. The shop is full of eye candy. They love campy too.

This maybe a slight thread drift but You should also go to Bouchon bakery, outstanding breads/pastries and yountville is pretty to walk through.

-Drew

cassa
08-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Check out Spoke Folk Cyclery in Healdsburg...

Oh, and if you're in Healdsburg hit up Bravas Bar de Tapas for mindblowingly good tapas food...

Resurrecting this thread to say thanks for the recommendations. Turns out I was a little ham-handed putting my wife's bike back together and I cross-threaded the derailleur hanger :eek:. The mechanics and owners at Spoke Folk were very helpful. They ordered a new hanger (and a second one that I'll keep as a spare should I ever need it again ;)) and were able to get the bike ready to go again the next day. In the meantime, they gave us half-price on a rental and recommended a route so we could still explore the area. Really top-notch service.

And we ate lots of great food in Healdsburg. Next time we vacation that way, I'm sure we'll be staying in Healdsburg.