PDA

View Full Version : My two weeks in a hostel -- and at UBI

Elefantino
07-21-2013, 07:34 PM
That I am posting this indicates that I survived a fortnight in The Cycle Hostel with a bunch of other guys also attending United Bicycle Institute's Pro Mechanic and Shop Operations class in Ashland, Ore.

It was an interesting experience, one that I'd recommend heartily to any of you, provided you don't mind the hostel part, which included sleeping in bunk beds designed for Smurfs with mattresses from The Flintstones. (Note to all: There's a Walmart in Medford, 15 minutes away. Egg crates for $10. You've been warned.)

The UBI end was fabulous, and more draining than I'd imagined. It's been a while since I was in a school setting, and the pace is constant: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., lectures and hands-on things, all day. The lecture instructors -- Nathan Riddle, Matt Eames and Rich Arvizo -- all have tons of varied knowledge about the industry and really dig passing it on. And they never made you feel foolish for asking dumb questions or demonstrating your lack of (or incorrect) hands-on knowledge. You learn tons. Your brain becomes very full, but you learn tons. Beforehand, the idea of building a wheelset on the second day of class, or of bleeding hydraulic brake lines, or of changing oil-dampered forks, all seemed daunting but by the end were just things you did, armed with the knowledge of what and why. Chapeau to UBI.

Then there's Ashland. Funky town, full of Shakespeare fans and those whose recreation is more, well, home-grown. Good riding, though. Managed some sweet ride time in the hills (mountains?) and around lakes and such. And everywhere, people are courteous with cyclists. I mean OVERLY courteous. When you're used to the outright anger of Floridians, or the hurried indifference of Bay Areans, the bike-car interplay in southern Oregon is almost surreal.

Finally, the hostel. I'm sure I made no friends by getting up at 4-4:30 every morning on the creaky wooden floor to sneak out to the great room with my computer to watch the Tour, but what the hell. Priorities. Made dinner for myself all but two nights (pasta and salads, exclusively) and ate breakfast and lunch there, too. Kept the costs down. I have to say that at the end of each week the dirty laundry made the place, um, aromatic, but at least there was a washer and dryer there to help. (I bagged my two weeks of laundry in the car and did it when I got home.)

I start work in the business on Tuesday, fresh off my UBI graduation and hoping that I can continue to learn apace. For although I know a hell of a lot more than I did two weeks ago, I've just scratched the surface. But what UBI has rekindled is a thirst for knowledge, and the knowledge that practice makes perfect. And, dammit, I will get better at adjusting hubs, I promise.

If you ever get the hankering to take your bike knowledge to the next level, I highly recommend the experience. You'll be better for it.

Just remember earplugs. And the egg crate.

gasman
07-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Great review-thanks for the info. Makes me want to attend UBI in the future if only to sleep in a hostel with a bunch of smelly guys.:eek:

But really, as I think about retirement in several years doing more of my own wrenching without having to search You Tube every time sounds great.

I also find most drivers in Eugene very courteous of riders. There are a few jerks out in the country but they are uncommon.

gemship
07-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Very cool, congratulations. I remember researching this place/school a few years ago and actually discussing it for a bit with others here. If you were part of that conversation I am sorry I don't remember. However you did it and good for you!

Plus you already have a job doing some wrenching on bikes, that is really cool.

J.Greene
07-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I enjoy hostels for solo exploring. If all you need is a place to crash the opportunity to meet interesting people is pretty high. If I'm with my wife, well, that doesn't include hostel life.

Anarchist
07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Great review-thanks for the info. Makes me want to attend UBI in the future if only to sleep in a hostel with a bunch of smelly guys.:eek:

But really, as I think about retirement in several years doing more of my own wrenching without having to search You Tube every time sounds great.

I also find most drivers in Eugene very courteous of riders. There are a few jerks out in the country but they are uncommon.

Huh?????

gasman
07-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Huh?????

He's been in Ashland, Oregon about 3 hours south and found the drivers there respect bikes. I find the same thing in Eugene after commuting/riding and racing for 25 years.
Your results may vary.

akelman
07-21-2013, 09:51 PM
I start work in the business on Tuesday...

Where will you be working? Regardless, good luck.

cat6
07-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

rphetteplace
07-21-2013, 10:53 PM
did you meet the nude rollerskating lady?????

merlinmurph
07-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Hey, that's great how everything worked out for you. I've always wondered about UBI and how good it is.
Good luck in the future - and enjoy.

Murph

rePhil
07-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Elefantino,

Sounds like a start to an interesting story.Since you started it,I would like to read more about your adventure. You lived in Florida right? What convinced you to move to the Bay area? Was it a job offer? career change?

azrider
07-22-2013, 03:20 PM
This is great review and finished reading wanting to know more.

What's pricing like?

Just how good a wrench were you before you went? Scale 1-10?

Did you drive all the way from FL?

How many were in your class?

bargainguy
07-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Congrats! Yes, I agree with the draining part. I went to Winterborne in Canada in '09 for bike mechanic school, and had I known how intense it was, I would have carb loaded and weight trained before I got there.