PDA

View Full Version : Need Silver Campagnolo 11 Compatible Hubs

jlwdm
07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
I have a Serotta CSI with all silver Campagnolo 11 speed components, Bold Precision seat post, Ritchey Classic silver stem and Arundel stainless steel cages. I have been considering new wheels with silver hubs, rims and spokes, and in the last month I finally saw the elusive H plus Son Archetype available in silver and picked up a 28 hole rim and a 32 hole rim.

The internet is causing problems with finding the right hub though. I was leaning towards the White Industries polished silver T11, but I have spent too much time on the internet and all I see is issues with every hub out there. That is the problem with the internet.

White Industries: Easy to adjust but sometimes develop too much play
Chris King: Need expensive tool to maintain
Alchemy: current hubs need a special tool and new Campagnolo UL hub won't be out until the end of the year.

How real are the problems with the WI T11 hubs? If the wheels are built by an excellent wheel builder should this minimize the possibility of play in the hubs?

Thanks for any real world input.

Jeff

ultraman6970
07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Miche rc2 easy to maintain, price is probably half of the stuff you have been looking at, and they will last a while before you need to do something to them.

If you are weight weenie then look somewhere else because arent super light but arent heavy either IMO.

sandyrs
07-21-2013, 05:24 PM
The WI set-screw bearing adjustment system can seem perplexing but it really isn't hard to maintain the hubs with no play. Sometimes you just have to tap the axle loose from the adjustment mechanism, but WI hubs are really amazing and I wouldn't let Internet haters prevent you from making them the centerpiece of a badass wheel set.

Pete Mckeon
07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
depending on weights of rider and wights of wheel desired. THese work, I have one with 11 speed. PETE

Salsa_Lover
07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Ambrosio silver hubs, they are surely Taiwanese rebranded hubs but they are good, light and cheap .

I got them from totalcycles.com, perfect match for a set of Ambrosio rims.

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/hubs/hubs_road/HB_ZENITH_S_R_CAMPAGNOLO.html
http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/hubs/hubs_road/HB_ZENITH_F_S.html

one60
07-21-2013, 08:32 PM
I have 1000's of miles on custom wheels built around 10speed versions of WI hubs & Alchemy hubs (in silver). Both have been reliable & fast rolling. The maintenance is not at all difficult with a bit of patience & reading of the instructions. But in reality, they have required little maintenance over the last 3-5 years.

Both hubs can be polished up with a little mag wheel polish in a few minutes time, so they stay shiny!

Check the fairwheel hub review & blog page. My understanding is the Alchemy 11 sp hub can be used on Campy 10 & 11 speed (as well as those other brands) & no Campy 11 speed rear hub is necessitated.

Lovetoclimb
07-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Put it out on the classifieds and someone has to be holding silver Campy hubs. No experience with any of the brands you listed, but the real deal Campagnolo stuff just works for miles and miles in my experience. Skewers are often hard to find . . .

beeatnik
07-21-2013, 10:26 PM
The Archetypes are inexpensive so pair them up with an inexpensive, classy hub:

http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL210-p/sl210.htm

Brandon is a cool dude.

maunahaole
07-21-2013, 10:37 PM
The Miche hubs can be had for around 110 bucks for the pair. If the logos on the hubs that you see in the pics seem too gaudy, they are stickers and can be easily removed. The finish is a fine machine work, not a polish. Nice bit for the price.

GRAVELBIKE
07-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Brandon is a cool dude.

The BHS hubs are light, inexpensive, and very easy to service.

d_douglas
07-21-2013, 11:12 PM
With patience, you could acquire a pair of silver Record hubs. I use mine with 11spd and they are simply gorgeous. I did build a set of King R45s and they are nice too.
I don't feel like they'd need more maintenance, but they have yet to need it. I don't do my own hub maintenance, so I don't bother with the expensive tool...

All are good choices though. WI hubs are lovely as well!

Louis
07-21-2013, 11:25 PM
+1 on the White Ind. hubs.

I have a few wheelsets with them and they look great, but I have significant miles on only one rear. So far no problems as all, and on the work stand it spins forever.

cc700
07-21-2013, 11:28 PM
if you can't maintain WI hubs you may want to reconsider doing your own work on any hubs to begin with. they are great hubs and worthy of your build, and their adjustment works very well if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical ability. if you can't learn it or figure it out, maybe going with a black threaded axle campy hub is worth it... or having a competent mechanic service your hub.

it's a far less complex and far less mechanically demanding adjustment than chris king hubs and honestly there's really no disadvantage to traditional systems or these systems alike... they're all equally prone to damage or failure if improperly assembled or maintained. even threaded axle systems are prone to failure, even if just improperly maintained.

Columbus SLX
07-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Brandon is a cool dude.

I have a SL211, its predecessor, and it's prone to freehub slipping. Every ten miles or so I get a *clunk* out of the thing when the freehub slips one tooth back. And he won't warranty the thing, so now after 500 miles my polished archetype wheels are on the shelf until I can afford nice set of T11s to relace 'em. YMMV.